Astana

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Astana must be a shoe-in for the Tour this year - they ought to get a one-two since both Kloeden and Vino are likely to be a class above anyone else (unless Mayo makes a sudden remarkable recovery).
Which is going to leave the sport once again in a ridiculous situation.
How is it that the german press haven't gone after Kloeden and Vino. With everyone in the old T-mobile/Telecom apparently implicated and then their suspicious looking move to the Wild-East Astana team (along with Salvodelli, Mazzolini, Kessler) it would seem to only be a matter of time before there are more press conferences.

Comments

• I was wondering this morning if ASO would have the balls to exclude them. They're depending on getting a wildcard and they haven't been announced yet.

Could happen....
  • Money talks and no team has more money than the oil-rich Kazakh government.

TdG
  • When will we see confessions from Kloeden and Vino by the way? 10 years time? [:D]

tea is good
  • Pauldcp
    Pauldcp Posts: 181
    ASO last year did everything they could to block Astana from the tour, and then they snubbed Vino's win at the Vuelta completely in Velo magazine.

The turn around came in the battle with the UCI over the Pro Tour. To wee off the UCI the grand tour organisers said they would guarantee Astana a place in all three tours.

Obviously weeing off the UCI takes precedence over a consistent approach to ASO unfounded drug allegations.
    Paul
    http://www.Sport-adventura.com
    Pyrenean Cycling Holidays
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    I remain unconvinced by Astana. I think even if the skeletons don't fall out the boot of the team car they may well struggle.

I think both Saunier Duval and Caisse d'Epargne will really challenge.

Any idea who will lead Saunier at the TDF?
  • cyclingtaz
    cyclingtaz Posts: 326
    could vino have left tmobile cause of the doping situation there[?]

"you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyclingtaz</i>

could vino have left tmobile cause of the doping situation there[?]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Vino left to become team leader of a leading team, befre T-Mobile even thought of going clean. However I'm sure he had some idea as to how clean the team he was joining were.

Kloden and Kessler on the other hand...

TdG
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mr Bumble</i>

I remain unconvinced by Astana. I think even if the skeletons don't fall out the boot of the team car they may well struggle.

I think both Saunier Duval and Caisse d'Epargne will really challenge.

Any idea who will lead Saunier at the TDF?

Saunier's team roster is not really any more blemish-free than Astana and Caisse d'Epargne are probably still nervous any time the word Puerto is mentioned.

<font size="1">"Hincapie's Disco pants are the best,
    They go from his arse to his chest,
    They're better than 'Sandro Ballans.
    Hincapie's Disco pants"</font id="size1">
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • I wonder if Vino and Kloeden will be forced to comment on the T Mobile ex rider confessions as they were both heavily involved with this team over many years

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • Kloeden's loyalty to Ulrich (although nice to see from one persepective) is almost an admission of guilt. And then he seems to share Ulrich's ability to get stronger as a Tour goes on and produce fantastic final timetrials
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pedalpower</i>

Astana must be a shoe-in for the Tour this year - they ought to get a one-two since both Kloeden and Vino are likely to be a class above anyone else (unless Mayo makes a sudden remarkable recovery).
    Which is going to leave the sport once again in a ridiculous situation.
    How is it that the german press haven't gone after Kloeden and Vino. With everyone in the old T-mobile/Telecom apparently implicated and then their suspicious looking move to the Wild-East Astana team (along with Salvodelli, Mazzolini, Kessler) it would seem to only be a matter of time before there are more press conferences.
    Vino is not German for starters, so the German's aren't going to chase him.
    Secondly both Vino & Kloden haven't been linked or suspected to have any ties with Puerto or any other doping ring.
    The last lot of Telecom/T-Mobile admissions (all regarding mid 90's) where all before Vino & Kloden where with the team.

I'd say Vino & kloden are as clean as the rest of their competition.
    You can read that any which way :p
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trev36</i>

Secondly both Vino & Kloden haven't been linked or suspected to have any ties with Puerto or any other doping ring.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hmmm. Vino joined Liberty Seguros which was managed by one Manolo Saiz. Remind me again of his role in <i>Operacion Peurto</i>?
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    Vino wasn't implicated in O.P. he couldn't ride last years tour because he didn't have enough team mates,and he left Saiz to form Astana because of it.Is this what its coming to if you don't like a rider you all assume he's doping,it saddens me to see this.
    How long will it be before Di Luca is mentioned.
    Theres not many Knives out for Valverde either

Dolly Parton certainly has some big hits.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by weyayeman</i>

Vino wasn't implicated in O.P. he couldn't ride last years tour because he didn't have enough team mates,and he left Saiz to form Astana because of it.Is this what its coming to if you don't like a rider you all assume he's doping,it saddens me to see this.
    How long will it be before Di Luca is mentioned.
    Theres not many Knives out for Valverde either
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Do you honestly think Vino went to Saiz's team not knowing what the deal was?

I don't. [V]
  • weyayeman
    Im prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt Andy.Maybe Im naive but like big tex he's never failed a drug test.

How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by weyayeman</i>

Im prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt Andy.Maybe Im naive but like big tex he's never failed a drug test.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I see your point. But I think it's clear from Puerto that the drugs testing regime as it currently exists is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Saying you never failed a test is almost, and I concede this is conjecture, like saying "I dope but I'm clever enough not to get caught".
  • weyayeman
    You mean you don't believe big tex when he said he never tested positive[:D]
    I think Vino is one of the old school where he's not afraid of attacking anybody I'd be dissapointed if he turned out positive.Still nothing would surprise me now about cycling.Till then I hope he wins the tour.

• Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    I can't imagine having the Astana coloured team kit standing on the podium in Paris, IMO it's horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • weyayeman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Keith Oates</i>

I can't imagine having the Astana coloured team kit standing on the podium in Paris, IMO it's horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
    Its not as bad as Phonak