Koga Miyata Globe Traveller

Noodley
Noodley Posts: 1,725
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
I am looking (rather more interestedly than my wife will probably be aware) at the Koga Miyata Globe Traveller, but I cannot seem to find any reviews for it. It looks a very well spec'ed bike with some top quality bits fitted. Anyone got one, or know where I can find a review? Or any other info you can provide? Thanks [:)]

I will be using it for long distance audax rides and my first steps into short 2/3 day tours, but want to get a bike which will last me a good while and allow me to enjoy longer tours when I feel up to it. It also falls into the right price bracket.

Comments

• alittlecrazy
    alittlecrazy Posts: 222
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

I am looking (rather more interestedly than my wife will probably be aware) at the Koga Miyata Globe Traveller, but I cannot seem to find any reviews for it. It looks a very well spec'ed bike with some top quality bits fitted. Anyone got one, or know where I can find a review? Or any other info you can provide? Thanks [:)]

I will be using it for long distance audax rides and my first steps into short 2/3 day tours, but want to get a bike which will last me a good while and allow me to enjoy longer tours when I feel up to it. It also falls into the right price bracket.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't the "Down the Road" folks use the Kogas?

I tried to find their review and instead came up with this, but the review is there somewhere, or at least it was...

http://www.downtheroad.org/Equipment/Bi ... _Bikes.htm

Round the world on our bicycles -- www.travellingtwo.com
    Round the world on our bicycles -- www.travellingtwo.com
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Peter Eland's "Velovision" has a full review in issue 25

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Thanks alittlecrazy - I cannot find a review. I found that site last night but couldn't find it then either - maybe it is tucked away somewhere. I'll look again later.

Thanks Cunobelin - the review in issue 25 is the world explorer not the globe traveller. I saw a world explorer today in Edinburgh Bike Co-op and it was a very good looking and equipped bike, but not what I am looking for.

It doesn't seem there is much information available about the Koga Miyata Globe Traveller (or the Randonneur, which I was also considering) - not sure if this is a bad sign or not...the World Explorer certainly looked a well constructed bike with top quality components.

Thanks again, I shall keep looking.
  • habibi
    habibi Posts: 143
    i have a Koga Miyata World Traveler 2005. its the same bike, which seems to have been renamed. you'll find more reviews if you search for traveler (one L instead of two).

i can tell you that it performs really well off road and fully laden. very stable under load and a comfortable ride for extended touring. my only quibble being that the paint job seems to chip quite easily - but i can deal with that as it makes the bike look less attractive to thieves.
  • habibi
    habibi Posts: 143
    i stand corrected - its not the same bike. the Globe Traveler is the 700cc road version. i'd recommend you check out the World Traveler instead, as its far more versatile.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    I've seen it reviewed a few times in German bike mags and it always gets top marks. There's a bloke called Tillman Waldthaler whose spent years cycling around the world and I think he rides one. It might be worth finding his website.