Adapting fixings on rear sks full mudguard ?

spocky
spocky Posts: 67
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Have just changed tyres and now they rub (even although same size, different make though)

It is not the mudguard that rubs it is the metal bit that attaches/holds/hooks mudguard in place.

There is approx 1.5 mm clearance each side of tyre (at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock). position on tyre not the time of day!!!!

It rubs either side of tyre when bike ridden 'hard' probably due to flex in wheel.

The mudguard is attaches by metal bit that hooks round mudguard at two parts on both sides.

Mudguard can only be raised by a few mm. This still does not make any difference.

Any suggestions regarding how to resolve this without changing tyres???

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    What size tyres are you using?
  • nicksun
    nicksun Posts: 290
    Can you bend "clamp" open a little bit to stop the rub?
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    can't get round it - the mudguards come in different widths to suit different widths of tyres.

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
    Cake makes me happy
  • spocky
    can't bend clamp open as the seat stays restrict this
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Is it this bit that is causing the problem?

Proividing there is room to do so - Can you undo the retaining bolt and raise the height of the guard to allow clearance:

If not the second option is to emove this bridge and bodge a small "L" bracket by drilling a hole in the mudguard and then bolting this on using as flat a headed bolt as you can.

This will remove the offending bracket, but may cause clearance problems elsewhere - as Monowai has stated the clearances sound very tight all round.!

There is a ot of planning that needs to go into this.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • campagman
    campagman Posts: 73
    If I understand your problem correctly I think that you should try to grip the hooks that go underneath the m'guard with pliers and squeeze them tighter.

remember to keep pedalling in circles.
    remember to keep pedalling in circles.
  • spocky
    thanks folks

tyres are 700 x25c. I can't bend out the clamp as the seatstays restrict this. I can't squeeze the hook bits as they already seem tight.

I am going to saw of the two hooks at either side that are causing the rubbing. This will still leave two hooks either side to hold mudguard in place which I can imagine is enough.

Failing that will get rid of existing clamp and fit L shaped one as described.

If not will get smaller tyres