Ksyrium SSC SL Front Wheel Flex

angrynortherner
angrynortherner Posts: 530
edited May 2007 in Workshop
My new Ksyrium sems very flexy when climbing out of the seat to the point where it can easily be made to rub on brake blocks. Is this normal??[:(!]

Comments

• savagebanana
    savagebanana Posts: 130
    The fronts are not too bad normally. Are the bearings snug? SLs are not the stiffest wheels in the world, especially the rears.

Steve.
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Sounds like the bearings to me too. Read your manual or head to your LBS.
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    Not normal at all, I would return to where you bought the wheels.

Not sure about the comment about SSC SLs not being stiff - these were the pro peloton wheel of choice for a few seasons so find that hard to believe (I do have a pair before you ask)

Naz

www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk
  • Before you rush off to the LBS, try tightening the front bearing with the tool provided and see if this helps....

Rich
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    SSC not stiff - what a pile of cr*p! Another piece of 'mate mate says' wisdom? Probably one of the stiffest regular wheels about in my experience - stiffer than any handbuilt for sure - I've built enough to know. Check the front wheel bearings - you need the pin spanner tool that comes with the wheels and a 5mm Allen key - remove QR - fit the Allen key into the end of the axle and snug-up the adjuster collar with the pin tool, replace QR - job done! If that's not the case, take them back to the shop.
  • Ok, did suspect the bearings to be honest but they are brand new is it normal to need to adjust the bearings after only 150miles? I think it's the bearings as they only started doing it yesterday and they were fine during the Etape du Dales the other weekend.
  • Ok, did suspect the bearings to be honest but they are brand new is it normal to need to adjust the bearings after only 150miles? I think it's the bearings as they only started doing it yesterday and they were fine during the Etape du Dales the other weekend.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    SSC SLs rears are very stiff, don't understand comments to the contrary.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • savagebanana
    savagebanana Posts: 130
    I`ve nothing against SLs at all, but both mine & a friends wheels move quite a bit with thumb pressure. I have adjusted the bearings carefully. Any tips to overcome this would be welcome.

Steve.