Touring Provence

effex
effex Posts: 555
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Were flying to Marseille Provence airport in a weeks time to ride a circular route (using the cycline guides)which starts at Arles. From the map, I see its a distance of roughly 100km from the airport to Arles. In order to remove the hassle of public transport, we plan to cycle this, does anyone know of a quiet route off the main roads? Since we'll be flying out very early, we plan on having an easy first day, so will probably stop off at a campsite enroute to Arles.

One other question... Is there a road between Salin de Giraud & Stes Maries de la Mer? Looking at my map it looks like there's a causeway, but I'm not sure.

Am I right in saying that threaded gas cartridges aren't available in France? Perhaps I'll buy a converter to enable use of gaz.

Its our first time touring in France, ah, some hot weather for a change!

Thanks. [:)]

Comments

• bikepacker
    bikepacker Posts: 898
    Threaded cartridges are usually available in Decathlon, Intersport and Sport2000. It will make life easier if you have one of the adaptors with you. You can then use the widely available C190 canisters. The Markhill are the best I have found. Get them from Action Outdoors http://store.securehosting.com/stores/s ... ?itemkeyw_%%=markhill

I'm pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    From Marseille airport you can either go North or South around the Etang de Berre but whichever way you go the first few km's will be busy.
    I have only ever driven both routes and the south way through Martigues and Port de Bouc is quite busy with some scenic oil refineries. It's a shame the coast road through Carry le Rouret is off route because this is very scenic.
    Once through Fos Sur Mer you have a 20km long straight dual carriageway section. Just hope that the Mistral isn't blowing here [V]

Going north, it's busy around the east shore of the Etang but you can soon get on quieter roads through Berre, St Chamas, Miramas and St Martin de Crau. (I'd go this way personally)

On my Michelin 1-175000 map there is no way direct from Salin de Giraud to St Maries de la Mer but I worked it out at 60km around the Etang de Vaccaries. (Top seafood restaurants in SMDLM by the way [:)])

Craig

www.montventouxwebcam.com
    www.veloventoux.com
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by effex</i>

One other question... Is there a road between Salin de Giraud & Stes Maries de la Mer? Looking at my map it looks like there's a causeway, but I'm not sure.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Last year I cycled from Saintes Maries de la Mer to the lighthouse at Phare de la Gacholle. It's a stoney track with sand in one or two places where you have to get off and push. Although I didn't cycle further east than the lighthouse, the tour guide said that it was possible to cycle all the way round and back to SMDLM via Etang de Vaccares, and if you trace the track on the Google satellite image, centred here on the lighthouse, it certainly appears that you can get there from Salin de Giraud.
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    Yes, its a bit grim coming out of Marignane, with some big refineries at the eastern end of the etang. Much better once you reach Berre and St Chamas if travelling north. Look out for Chateau Calisanne on road north of the Etang and then the troglodyte houses in St Chamas. Miramas le vieux (not just Miramas) has an excellent ice cream restaurant but it is a short steep climb. From there, the most direct route is the 113 which is pretty quiet past Salon as the heavy traffic uses the motorway and has wide hard shoulders. It is also very flat and straight. It joins the main road again near Arles and does get very busy on the point it crosses the Rhone.

If you go the southern route there used to be a ferry from St Lois to salin de Giraud called Bac de Barcaran but I don't know how regular is is. There are roads some of the way west of salin de Giraud and I'd guess it would be possible to pick your way on tracks to St Maries but best to check. BTW it is always windy down there, you will get sand blasted from time to time. If the Mistral blows give up!
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alan14</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by effex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Last year I cycled from Saintes Maries de la Mer to the lighthouse at Phare de la Gacholle. It's a stoney track with sand in one or two places where you have to get off and push. Although I didn't cycle further east than the lighthouse, the tour guide said that it was possible to cycle all the way round and back to SMDLM via Etang de Vaccares, and if you trace the track on the Google satellite image, centred here on the lighthouse, it certainly appears that you can get there from Salin de Giraud.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It looks like great fun picking your way through the dunes and the Etangs.
    You must let us know how you get on.
    In St Maries de la Mer don't forget the aperitif specials every evening.
    6 oysters and a big glass of white wine for 5?. [8D]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • effex
    effex Posts: 555
    Thanks for all the route suggestions, it looks like we'll be heading North round the Etang on the not so busy roads.

I've just worked out our mileage, it looks like we may have to give the sand dunes in the south a miss.[:(]

One thing I have noticed is the lack of campsites on my Michelin 1/150 maps, is it possible to buy better maps in France which display more campsites? Does the round icon with inset white triangle alway's denote a campsite on the michelin maps? There's other campsites listed on my Cycline route guide which don't feature on the michelin maps, but I'd like a map with them all on it if poss. We plan on camping every night. Is there a campsite in Arles?

Many thanks.
  • craigenty
    Even the tiniest villages in france usually have some sort of camping municipal but I'd check first.
    Just google the name of the village to get the local tourist office.

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • deebee
    deebee Posts: 16
    Campsite in Arles is on the way out to the Pont de Crau on the N453, if they haven't altered the road numbers. It's got a pool which is very welcome if its hot. Pitch in the first field, not the inviting looking second field with the circular track - there's a ditch in there that harbours all sorts of flying, biting things that come out at night. Incidentally, all the Tourist information offices (opposite Mcdonalds in Arles) will give you a list of campsites in their area. Beware of the campsites on the coast, they're hellish expensive.