britains hillliest city

2»

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    park street in bristol is quite steep.

but bradford has it. when i get off at the interchange it's a 5 mile ride to thornton, all up hill.

it's great for training purposes. the hills north of bradford are even nastier. i regularly ride up to queensbury and across to hebden and all over. it's amazing scenery.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

Sheffield is built on 7 hills apparently.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Something it has in common with Rome, apparently...

I've never ridden there, but from the train Durham looks quite hilly...

I'll stick to York - one of the flattest cities...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • jimbarrow
    jimbarrow Posts: 17
    As a mountain biker, hills.... where would we be without them! The summit trail at Nant-y-aryan in west Wales is incredibly demanding if you like that sort of thing. However, the village of Grosmont near Pickering in Yorkshire will get your brakes glowing red, for the more road 'inclined'. The most lungbusting here in Bristol is Constitution Hill, I haven't cleared it yet.
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    And for those in Bristol who want a challenge they can nip across to Bath and head up North Road, Bathwick Hill or Widcombe Hill to the University or up to the racecourse at Lansdowne, unless they want to head down to Somerset then they could take on Entry Hill or Ralph Allen Drive.
    Bath also claims to be built on 7 hills, like Sheffield and Rome.

Getting back to Bristol if you want to climb to Clifton its much more fun from Hotwells than up Park Street but if you really want to get steep head down to Bedminster / Totterdown and have a go at Redcatch Hill or Ravenhill Road, even better Summer Hill from the Bath Road :o)

Gloucester is flat but there are some nice climbs when you get out of town :o)
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    Glasgow's built on seven hills. It's a rite of passage to name them, for any serious local history buff.
    So
    Gilmorehill
    Garnethill
    Govanhill
    Hampdenhill
    Hamiltonhill
    Hillhead
    Mount Florida.

Actually, there's hunners of them, if you really apply yersel'. (Dowanhill, Firhill, Scotstounhill, Crosshill, Corkerhill, Maryhill, Ruchill, Jordanhill and Mount Vernon all spring immediately to mind and there's always the Broomielaw if you wanna push it a bit - law is an old scots word for hill, Broomielaw = hill wi' broom growing on it)

Where I live (Cumbernauld) it's really quite steep whichever way you go.

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".
  • I thought you were Kilsyth Cyclo.

What a s h i t e contribution to this thread I have just made. Having a bad day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    Stobhill, Littlehill and Lethamhill and Nitshill. I believe that's 21 hills for Glasgow so far.

No mate the C'nauld for me sins. Everywhere you go is downhill which means coming home always finishes with a climb. Bast@rdo.

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".
  • Lardyboycp
    Lardyboycp Posts: 104
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave5n</i>

I lived in Swansea for some years and that's got some challenges.

I remember seeing professional Milk Race cyclists pushing, - yes, pushing - their bikes up Constitution Hill.

I remember watching that from the bottom of the hill Dave, not for the faint hearted then or now for that matter. Those cobbles must of hurt!

I think the lone leader almost fell off when he saw what he had to go up.

Oh and they still had to climb up Mount Pleasant Hill about 30 seconds after Constitution Hill.

Can't remember now if they they had to do that 2 or 3 times!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm big boned OK!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm big boned OK!
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by urrrrrrrrrs</i>

guys & girls

never mind this country,i was on holiday in
    New Zealand at the beginning of the year and was in Dunedin,where we got taken to the worlds steepest street, Baldwin Street

type in WORLDS STEEPEST STREET into google and see for yourself*,what a mother of all hills[:0][B)]

*sorry not very computer literate yet !!!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy
    thats steep!

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68463844@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68463844@N00/218502187/
  • grape72
    grape72 Posts: 30
    Lance Armstrong, of all people said of Constitution Hill in Swansea, that those kind of hills aren't supposed to exist in Britain, only on the continent!

"Clarity, just confuses me"
  • Anyone here from Wales know of Stanley Street in Newport? Located on the road behind the train station. Short, but hideously steep!

And I didn't realise until yesterday that there's a cobbled hill in Bristol! That one that has the entrance to a multi-storey car park in the middle of it, by the University.

tea is good
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    How do you get at figures for height risen and length of hills? Theres a hill in Torquay called Stentifords Hill, which I would like to get some figures for, thats my personal everest, one day I will cycle that hill...
  • soltydog
    soltydog Posts: 47
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

If the letter of the law was applied, lunchtime supervisors in the local schools in Queensbury would need a mountain leadership certificate. Or is that a local myth?

Probably true [:D] There is one area of Queensbury actually called the mountain, IIRC it's about 1100 feet above sea level.

I remember one particullarly steep hill called windy bank, the very bottom of the hill must be about 1 in 6 & the overall climb must be close to a mile. I remember when i was a kid, my mum & dad were on a motorbike & it went over backwards with them both on due to the steepness
  • Snowy season is June, July & August in Queensbury! Its also a windy place old Queensbury[:)]
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    An off'road one:

Betws y Coed:-

The track just long from betws bikes and behind the church....

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lardyboy</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave5n</i>

I remember seeing professional Milk Race cyclists pushing, - yes, pushing - their bikes up Constitution Hill.

I remember watching that from the bottom of the hill Dave, not for the faint hearted then or now for that matter. Those cobbles must of hurt!

Oh and they still had to climb up Mount Pleasant Hill about 30 seconds after Constitution Hill.

I'm big boned OK!

At least there's a bit of respite along Terrace Road, Although I thought they then went <b>down </b>Mount Pleasant towards town.

Pretty sure it was three laps - I was nearly at the top, by Penmaen Terrace.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by marinyork</i>

I calculate Blake St to be about 1 in 8 because it climbs about 80 ft in 620ft. So a bit steeper than 1 in 8 (Hagg Hill is steeper than 1 in 5 on the same calculation). They are both very steep!

yes but how do you know it's 80ft difference in altitude from the top to the bottom?
  • dave5ncp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by grape72</i>

Lance Armstrong, of all people said of Constitution Hill in Swansea, that those kind of hills aren't supposed to exist in Britain, only on the continent!

Did Lance ride it?[:I]

I knew we had stuff in common.[8)]

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • Lardyboycp
    Lardyboycp Posts: 104

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lardyboy</i>

I'm big boned OK!

At least there's a bit of respite along Terrace Road, Although I thought they then went <b>down </b>Mount Pleasant towards town.

I thought they went along Terrace Road, turned up Mount Pleasant, left along Townhill Road, Broadway, Vivian Road, Dilwyn Road, Sketty Park Road, Sketty Lane, Mumbles Road, St Helens Road, Kingsway, Christina Street, Left into Mansel Street, Walter Road, then right up Constitution Hill. On the final lap "sprint" finish in the Kingsway.

Might seem a long way but once you're up the top of Townhill it's all downhill to Mumbles Road and as flat as a flat thing.

going back down Mount Pleasant the loop would of been a lot quicker and they were quite a while between appearances.

I'm willing to be proved wrong though.

As for Lance - he's spot on![^]

I'm big boned OK!

I'm big boned OK!
  • grape72
    grape72 Posts: 30
    My humblest apologies, it wasn't Lance it was George Hincapie, in the prutour 1999, who commented on constitution hill. Very sorry[:I]

• hoppergaz
    hoppergaz Posts: 19
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DavidTQ</i>

How do you get at figures for height risen and length of hills? Theres a hill in Torquay called Stentifords Hill, which I would like to get some figures for, thats my personal everest, one day I will cycle that hill...

Try plotting your road on www.bikley.com it works out distance and elevation changes.
  • dave5ncp

I'm big boned OK!

I thought they went along Terrace Road, turned up Mount Pleasant, left along Townhill Road, Broadway, Vivian Road, Dilwyn Road, Sketty Park Road, Sketty Lane, Mumbles Road, St Helens Road, Kingsway, Christina Street, Left into Mansel Street, Walter Road, then right up Constitution Hill. On the final lap "sprint" finish in the Kingsway.

Might seem a long way but once you're up the top of Townhill it's all downhill to Mumbles Road and as flat as a flat thing.

going back down Mount Pleasant the loop would of been a lot quicker and they were quite a while between appearances.

I'm willing to be proved wrong though.

As for Lance - he's spot on![^]

I'm big boned OK!

Sounds about right.

I still have a bidon that was thrown at me on mumbles road as the peleton first came through!

• bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>

An off'road one:

Betws y Coed:-

The track just long from betws bikes and behind the church....

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Ouch![xx(][:(]that one's a granny ring job for sure-actually managed to cycle most of the way up in'05.....knackering. Bath and Brizzle are seriously hilly too[xx(]

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • i live in leeds but lincoln was my home city. lincoln has one hill (yes really) and one road up it is called steep hill. i think it is 1 in 5 (20%) and it's cobbled. it is access only now so the gradient sign has gone. never ever seen anyone riding up it that i can remember but young lads on mountain bikes downhill it. scary. i've cycled a bit around the flats of lincolnshire which actually becomes tedious after 10 miles ,as your legs are always turning and never get a rest. i think the ideal is gently undulating so the down gets you up the next slope but i've nerver been anywhere like.
  • ceedeecp
    ceedeecp Posts: 111
    Has anybody tried this one? Only problem is it's oneway.

http://images.google.co.uk:80/imgres?im ... n%26sa%3DN

sorry for long url it's how it was sent to me.