Advice on my brakes

spider2266
spider2266 Posts: 8
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
To start with a am a relative beginner when it comes to road cyling. i started last summer after about 15 years out of the saddle. I bought a hybrid but got the bug and a couple of weeks ago upgraded to a LEMOND Alpe D'Huez. The bike is brill but the brakes seem a bit strange. When I apply the brake firstly they don't seem that responsive and secondly they seem to grate as if there is metal on metal.The spec of the bike say the brakes are Cane Creek SC3 w/cartridge pads. Is this just because the bike is new (I have done about 100 miles in the last week)or is this normal.

Any help please

RW

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Spider 2266, welcome.
    It doesn't sound that normal to me. Firstly check that they are aligned squarely with your rims when they're applied. Secondly, remove the wheel and ensure there is no grit or debris embedde in the blocks, this can happen. Remone with a bit of abrasive paper.
    IMO much of the feel and resposiveness of brakes is more about the pads than the mechanisms (assuming all is set-up correctly). Even though I have Ultegra brakes, they are pretty hopeless because Shimano's brake compound is quite hard (and almost useless in the wet), so I'm about to swap the pads for something grippier like Koolstop Salmon.

I'd check the alingnment and the crud situation first, there shold be no metallic noises and the paads should fit squarely against the rims.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • spider2266
    Thanks for that, I have checked that the blocks are aligned and they sre fine. I took one of the blocks out and they just seem that they are made from a really hard material, can you suggest others I could change to.

Thanks from the newbie

Spider
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> they don't seem that responsive <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I thought exactly the same when i went from a hybrid to my road bike. They do become better with time but they will not be as good as the hybrid's brakes.

Not sure why they are grating though...

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • spider2266
    Thanks maybe I will just stick with it and see what happens. I am sure I will have plenty of other stupid questions to post. Great site which has already helped me with the move to Road cycling.[:D]

Spider
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Spider2266,

You need some Koolstops a set i.e. front and back is going to cost œ32, but you do get a spare set of pads, they are exremely rim friendly, don't squeal, and will stop you quickly.

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

• spider2266
    Thanks Flint will look into those.

Cheers mate

Spider
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    am i right in thinking that road bike brakes seem a little less "responsive" (i.e. not like mountain bike brakes) because if you were able to slam on your brakes, because of the speed the bikes can reach, it's likely you'll head straight over the handlebars? so therefore they are designed to slow you to a stop rather than "emergency" stop you, if that makes sense. that's what someone told me which seemed to make sense (but if it seems like i am talking out of my arse, i'm not, whoever told me is).

the metal on metal thing don't sound too good tho.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    All rim brakes take time to bed - to remove the face of the brake pad and possibly to remove the anodised surface of the brake rim. Also some road brakes are less good than others - make sure the cable runs are smooth and that pads clear the rim by 1mm at most either side.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

Hi Spider 2266, welcome.
    Even though I have Ultegra brakes, they are pretty hopeless because Shimano's brake compound is quite hard (and almost useless in the wet), so I'm about to swap the pads for something grippier like Koolstop Salmon.

Fab's TCR1
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I noticed that with my Ultegra brakes as well. On a wet ride on Sunday (and this was proper torrential) I was glad the roads were traffic free as my stopping distance was appalling.

Definitely be swapping them over at some point soon!

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Koolstop's aren't that expensive (Swisstops are - perhaps some confusion?) - I just bought a set of 2 pads for œ6 from wiggle - so 2 x that to give front and rear coverage would be œ12. I have put the koolstops (I bought the salmon coloured ones that come recommended on here) on the front and they have radically improved the braking performance. So much so that I am about to order another set for the rear.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I also use and endorse Koolstops salmon pads.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    The reason mine were œ32 was I purchased the complete system, i.e. two sets of pads and the clips/ mounts to attach the pads to the calipers, but they were 'giving' a second set of all condition pads away, so all in all a fair price (I think) for 2 full sets of pads, front and rear,plus replacements.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 2191flint</i>

The reason mine were œ32 was I purchased the complete system, i.e. two sets of pads and the clips/ mounts to attach the pads to the calipers, but they were 'giving' a second set of all condition pads away, so all in all a fair price (I think) for 2 full sets of pads, front and rear,plus replacements.

yeah - that is a decent price for that actually..
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

am i right in thinking that road bike brakes seem a little less "responsive" (i.e. not like mountain bike brakes) because if you were able to slam on your brakes, because of the speed the bikes can reach, it's likely you'll head straight over the handlebars? so therefore they are designed to slow you to a stop rather than "emergency" stop you, if that makes sense. that's what someone told me which seemed to make sense (but if it seems like i am talking out of my arse, i'm not, whoever told me is).

the metal on metal thing don't sound too good tho.

This is true. I have disc brakes on my MTB but wouldn't want them on a road bike descending at 50mph down the Ventoux. You want nice progressive braking to control your descent on a road bike, not massive stopping power.

And another vote for Koolstop pads. I have them on my road and winter bike. Top pads.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.
  • Neil Paxton
    Neil Paxton Posts: 1,331
    And another endorsement for Koolstop Salmon. They are such fantastic pads I can't understand why anyone would consider anything else. They stop incredibly well, don't squeal, are rim friendly and don't leave horrible black residue on the rims either. OK so they are a bit more expensive but quite frankly once you have tried them I doubt you would EVER consider anything else ever aqain.[;)]
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Palinurus</i>

I also use and endorse Koolstops salmon pads.

FGG 1065 - if you don't know what that means, you need fixing!
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/neilsbikes.msnw
    http://www.withamanddistrictcc.co.uk/
    FGG 1065 - if you don\'t know what that means, you need fixing!
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/neilsbikes.msnw
    http://www.withamanddistrictcc.co.uk/
  • richardjallen
    richardjallen Posts: 691
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gkerr4</i>

Koolstop's aren't that expensive (Swisstops are - perhaps some confusion?) - I just bought a set of 2 pads for œ6 from wiggle - so 2 x that to give front and rear coverage would be œ12. I have put the koolstops (I bought the salmon coloured ones that come recommended on here) on the front and they have radically improved the braking performance. So much so that I am about to order another set for the rear.

SwissStop are œ20 for four pads from Posh. Compared to œ7 for two koolstop from wiggle. SwissStop seem to be more expensive but not by much. I've had koolstops before and they did not live up to the enormous hype they get here so I'm trying SwissStop next - not as much hype so not as much disappointment.
  • spider2266
    Just a quick update, I have put another 30 miles on the bike and I think the scrapping noise was the pads bedding in so am happy with that. I also now understand why the brakes aren't as responsive as my prevous bike. Will look at the coolstops which sound the biz.

thanks for all the advice

Spider
  • First try changing your pads, but i have to say the brakes on my ocr are tektro and i have to say compare to the ultegra on my tcr they are crap. I think that an investment in a decent set of brakes is worth while, after all they are VERY important

www.cycleblog.info