Tried it twice but it's not for me!

mr_hippo
mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
After a break of quite a few years, can I call myself an 'experienced beginner'? I have done a number of 30-milers in the past two weeks, early morning rides to avoid the heat and the Bangkok traffic. I, normally, cycle alone, set my own pace and route and stop when I want to. I went out with the Thailand Cycling Club last summer, not a happy experience for a number of reasons. Today, they were having a run out to Ayuthaya - 84 miles return trip, leaving at 0630 and returning at 1730. Do I feel fit enough to do it? Yes! Left home at 0540 to get to the start about 4 miles away, nice easy pace warm up and was there before 6. What time did we leave - 0630? It was more like 0815 and by this time, it was hot enough to fry eggs on the pavement! Not knowing the capabilities of the riders, I decided to cycle towards the back of the 50 strong pack. No-one was stationed at complicated junctions to point the way and, as we know, the longer the ride, the more strung out the pack becomes. I called it a day an came home.
In future, I'll go out alone - I'm more comfortable that way. Leaving about two hours late we lost two of the best hours cycling of the day.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 26/27 May: Update published: Monday 28 May

Comments

• Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    ...come to Feltham Mr Hippo - it has been raining 'Thai Delicacies' all day...[:(]

...also reminds me to get on the scales - just as soon as I have finished this tube of Pringles...[:I][:)][:p]

103kg - kg361
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

After a break of quite a few years, can I call myself an 'experienced beginner'? I have done a number of 30-milers in the past two weeks, early morning rides to avoid the heat and the Bangkok traffic. I, normally, cycle alone, set my own pace and route and stop when I want to. I went out with the Thailand Cycling Club last summer, not a happy experience for a number of reasons. Today, they were having a run out to Ayuthaya - 84 miles return trip, leaving at 0630 and returning at 1730. Do I feel fit enough to do it? Yes! Left home at 0540 to get to the start about 4 miles away, nice easy pace warm up and was there before 6. What time did we leave - 0630? It was more like 0815 and by this time, it was hot enough to fry eggs on the pavement! Not knowing the capabilities of the riders, I decided to cycle towards the back of the 50 strong pack. No-one was stationed at complicated junctions to point the way and, as we know, the longer the ride, the more strung out the pack becomes. I called it a day an came home.
    In future, I'll go out alone - I'm more comfortable that way. Leaving about two hours late we lost two of the best hours cycling of the day.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm quite used to being on my own on Audax rides, especially in lumpy terrain. However the Audax ethos is self reliance and riders are expected to be able to cope with the route sheets that are issued on entry.

It is nice to have riding companions though and there's enough 100km Audaxes for me to have a ride with slower riders.

The thought of 84 miles in Thailand fill me with dread - I'd disappear in a pool of sweat.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Like you, Vernon, I am used to being alone but. at times, it's nice to have someone to talk to, even if it is only in a mixture of Thai, English and sign language.
    There's no denying that the heat is a problem which is why I prefer to leave at first light and be back by about 9.