wet weather riding

pabloweaver
pabloweaver Posts: 444
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
<font face="Comic Sans MS">all dressed up and no where to go .... now dont get me wrong im not adverse to riding in the rain , but as i sit here watching it hammer down in sunny newton ( huuuuuge dose of sarcasm ) .. im debating just firing it off and keeping me and the bike in dry working order ....now then ...the point of this post is ... am i going soft ..or getting more sense as i get older ?

just wondering what everybody else does ...?

ps .. its weird how i quite like the rain when it comes down and im already out ..but i get all "should i shouldnt i?" when im firmly stuck indoors ... mmm ?!?</font id="Comic Sans MS">

pablo weaver rides again!
http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.

Comments

• cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    I got caught in the rain this morning when I was out, set off and it was really sunny,then it rained and got really windy.

I would never set off when it was raining, not so bad if it rains when you are already out but wouldn't fancy going out in it just for the sake of it.

Put your feet up and take it easy.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I set off in the rain a few weeks ago. I had thick thick overshoes on but I still rang out a half pint of water out of my socks when I finished.
    I found it a bit scary to be honest. The cars seemed to drive much closer and I felt unsafe.
    I came home and immediately started looking into buying a turbo trainer.
  • I never set out if it is raining. My main gripe about cycling in the rain is not being able to see properly without spex, I tried contact lenses but I could not get them in quick enough in the morning before going to work.

My current motto is: "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured" so I am putting my feet up this afternoon
  • I actually enjoy cycling in the rain![:p][;)]

you should definitely not let it put you off!, its fun & refreshing[:D]
  • pabloweaver
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">charlotte..... trust me if i lived in Devon it would be totally different !!

its not the same surrounded in the rain by all these satanic mills and chemical works </font id="Comic Sans MS">!!! [xx(][:D]

• palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I don't bother going out in the rain unless I'm commuting (in which case I'll go out whatever the weather, pretty much).
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pme</i>

I never set out if it is raining. My main gripe about cycling in the rain is not being able to see properly without spex,

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I use a cycling cap, the peak keeps enough rain off to be useful unless it's really heavy. If you wear a helmet it'lll fit underneath.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Put the appropriate clothes on and have mudguards and its not too bad. At least you'll enjoy it when its over !
  • I think it depends how much macho posturing you want to do. I commute, so have to go out raining or not. This time of year, I rarely get cold let alone wet. BBC misinformation led me to riding home in the rain with no wet weather clothes yesterday; a bit soggy round the genitals but not too bad.
    No chain, no gain
  • Not A Clue
    Not A Clue Posts: 15
    I'm a fair weather cyclist myself. But saying that I do take the dog to agility training in the rain. I can handle it for the dog just not for me.

Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)
    Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pabloweaver</i>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">all dressed up and no where to go .... now dont get me wrong im not adverse to riding in the rain , but as i sit here watching it hammer down in sunny newton ( huuuuuge dose of sarcasm ) .. im debating just firing it off and keeping me and the bike in dry working order ....now then ...the point of this post is ... am i going soft ..or getting more sense as i get older ?

just wondering what everybody else does ...?

ps .. its weird how i quite like the rain when it comes down and im already out ..but i get all "should i shouldnt i?" when im firmly stuck indoors ... mmm ?!?</font id="Comic Sans MS">

Gird your loins and get out there!

I got my miles in yesterday [:D]

I've still been out today though, in the woods on my mountain bike.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Was out today- set out when it was raining heavily, just got heavier and heavier as time went by. Still managed a 35 mile (2hr) circuit before I headed for home though.

BTW why didn't anyone turn up for the Ajax club run this morning? Yes it was a little damp but still I expected at least 1 other person.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i don't mind the rain but if it's windy too, i pull the bedclothes over my head. i actually like it if it's raining really hard but with no wind, but usually they come hand in hand.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Once i'm out, I'm already hot and 'orrible, as long as it's warm rain and I don't stop (let it cool down) but if it's raining and I'm in the house... forget it, i'm out to enjoy riding and training. Probably not the best attitude living in Wales. Odly though, I don't mind racing in the rain[:D]

my elephant has more memory than my PC
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Raining when I set of this a.m. at 7.15 (hence pedal- not V-twin-power!). Dryish for about 40 minutes later, wet again on way home. I really ought to buy some vaguely water-proof kit!

But hey I'm feeling quite virtuous!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Mostly I'd go out in the rain, depends how many miles I'd got in that week, if I'd not been out for a few days, I'd go out in any weather. Same with club-runs and evening training sessions etc, why miss them because of a bit of weather...just get out and ride!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    As I cycle for <b>fitness</b> and <u><b>fun</b></u>, I <u>never</u> go out in the rain or if it even looks like it might rain. The <b>only </b>time I have ever got wet on my bike was last years Oxford to Cambridge BHF charity ride, when I had no choice, I wasn't about to abandon, because it was for a good cause, but I didn't enjoy the first 40 odd miles it lashed down relentlessly!![:(] and I had to strip my bike down and clean, re-lube it as the roads were so flooded you actually needed a boat[;)]!!

Today I mostly sat and watched stage 15 of the Giro, wow!! what a spectacle[:D][:D].

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cant see why the fear and loathing of the rain ? Its only water after all. Its still fun - just a bit damper than normal. Went for a three hour wet run this morning and capped it off by running over a flooded beach - it was great ! Give me that rather than a dry and boring run any day. Once you are out you hardly notice the rain.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cougie</i>

Cant see why the fear and loathing of the rain ? Its only water after all. Its still fun - just a bit damper than normal. Went for a three hour wet run this morning and capped it off by running over a flooded beach - it was great ! Give me that rather than a dry and boring run any day. <font color="purple">Once you are out you hardly notice the rain.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></font id="purple">

Are you waterproof then? LOL[:D][;)] I hate getting wet (in the rain)

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

• cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Try commuting for 3 or 4 months and after that you really dont care less. However that is on the commute, i rarely actually set out for a leisure ride when its weeing it down.

On my commuter bike, riding in the rain is quite enjoyable, on a pure road bike it can be scary. I love the look of car drivers, sitting miserably in their cars whilst im wee wet through but enjoying it.

Coops
  • pabloweaver
    having just seen the tv forecast for monday ..... guess its another day in the house . and 100% fact it will be glorious come tue back at work !

pablo weaver rides again!... Burkina Faso ?? didnt he win the Giro ??

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cooper.michael1</i>

I love the look of car drivers, sitting miserably in their cars whilst im wee wet through but enjoying it.

Coops
    Yea, I love that, I always give them a big insane (not inane I hope) grin to show them that I'm loving every minute!

Yeeee Haaaa[:D]

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    never understood the fuss made about some water to be honest.
    The only things that put me off the bike are wind, hangover, or snow. In 20 years I can recall a handful of other occasions when the rain has diverted me to a car. To be fair though....my cars a landrover so I probably get as wet in that as I do on the bike, and my other mode of transport was a bike (motor) so I got even wetter on that in the rain.[:I]

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I tend to stay in if it's raining.

But, if I've already started, then tough, as long as I feel warm, then it's ok

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Based on yesterday's experiences at Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff - it started raining heavily after an hour - the temperature dropped to about 8 degrees and stayed like that for the next 3 hours! Staying warm is critical - don't worry about staying dry and stay warm by keeping moving. Funny to watch bus loads of Italians piling into bus shelters to get out of the rain too - didn't look comfortable in shorts and arm-warmers without a jacket. When the sun did come out it made it all the more pleasurable though.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    if theres rain then im out lol (unless i have to get to work of course).

I'd rather just sit indoors safely. Dont like biking on slippery roads, or using wet brakes!

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Based on yesterday's experiences at Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff - it started raining heavily after an hour - the temperature dropped to about 8 degrees and stayed like that for the next 3 hours! Staying warm is critical - don't worry about staying dry and stay warm by keeping moving. Funny to watch bus loads of Italians piling into bus shelters to get out of the rain too - didn't look comfortable in shorts and arm-warmers without a jacket. When the sun did come out it made it all the more pleasurable though.

Hi MontyDog

Did you enjoy the ride despite the crap weather (although thankfully not as cold, wet and windy as the UK by all accounts)? Four of us from CC Luton / Manchester Velo rode it - piccies here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccluton

We were caught out by the fact that when we left the hotel in Liege at 5:30am to ride to the start, it was dry and fairly warm. We dressed accordingly which was our first mistake - I was kicking myself for all of the items I'd left in the hotel that I should have been wearing. Why didn't we make more of an effort to watch the forecast the day before?? The 5-day forecast for Liege last Tuesday was 27C and sunny!

Stopping at the feed in Bastogne for a coffee was our second mistake. We were all so cold we spilt most of the coffee on the floor anyway with all the shivering going on. I was saved by pinching a large piece of shrink-wrap from the pallets at the feed to shove up the front of my jersey. That and riding hard for the next 20 mins to warm back up again. It's quite scary how cold you can get when you are not dressed for the elements - even in May! If any of us had got a serious mechanical, hypothermia would have been a real possibility.

Once the rain stopped and the sun came out, we were all too hot on the climb up Cote de la Redoute - you just can't win sometimes!

Shame about the rain as what we could see of the area around Bastogne looked really beautiful - in between the mist and the spray that is.

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    probably going to get totally drenched twice tomorrow, but so be it.

i'll a waterproof jacket and take a change of clothes and some spare socks.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • went out all winter come rain or snow... if you've got the gear to match the conditions it shouldn't make any difference... its all in the mind
    a Bianchi is for life... not just for christmas
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When it comes to my commute and its raining, I still prefer taking the bike over the car (mudguards, rain legs, overshoes and rain jacket keep me happy and dry). However, leisure rides for me are a no-no in the rain.