a few shoes questions...

DLB
DLB Posts: 631
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
looking ot buy a pair of cycling shoes and thought i'd better ask before taking the plunge.

I will use the shoes initially with strapped (clipped) pedals and then will probably upgrade the pedals later to clipless. When i do this i would put proper clipless pedals on my road bike and the pedals which are 'normal on one side and clipless on the other' on my hybrid.

I'd ideally like shoes i can walk in comfortable (when i put the cleats in) so does this mean i need mountain bike shoes?

I'd also like shoes which are quite waterproof so i presume the ones with velcro straps across would be best for me rather than the lace ups??

I've noticed that the shoes come in only whole sizes and so as i'm a 9.5 should i go for a 10??

Will any type of shoe take the different types of cleats???

budget is up to about œ50 if possible.

any help appreciated

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
*** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***

Comments

• I was in a similar position to you, using toestraps, then converted to clipless and have not looked back since. I bought Shimano leisure/touring type shoes, older versions of: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 40%20Shoes

They last for ages, you can walk in them but they are not waterproof. If it looks like rain I wear Sealskin waterproof socks (dfrom Evans, Cotswold etc). Or you could buy some waterproof overshoes (avoid Endura MTB ones, the zips soon fail) or you could try Stelvio leather ones from SJS but they are bit more pricy.

I would recommend trying several different types on in shops to make sure they are comfortable rather than ordering over the internet.
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"> cant agree more with PME , unless you really really know what shoe fits you dont buy off the net . ( been there done that ...owned emelda marcos amount of useless bike shoes !! ) look around LBS and find the make and style then order , bear in mind the use they may get . winter shoes will prob have thicker socks in them and that will have a bearing on the fit . There are plenty of good SPD shoes about from the mountain bike market that would make walking very easy off the bike . my personal choice would be a velcro or ratchet shoe for easy of alteration and durability .

oh ... and different manufactures have different toe " box " shapes some narrower than others .

i would def go for SPD ( mountain bike ) shoes for multi purpose riding /bikes .

pablo weaver rides again!
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    Many thanks. i'll head to the LBS and try some mountain bike shoes for size.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    I can highly recommend the Specialized BG Sport mountain bike shoes at œ59. I use them on the road bike and the mtb, super comfy and the sole is stiff enough for getting the power down but still ok for walking in.
    Alex
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Have a look around the web sales.

There are often good deals to be had with pedals and shoes.

Example

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • shoes that are comfy generally have rubebr soles, these are great for walking and comfy. however to really get good power transfer carbon soles are the way forward, the draw back is that you cant walk in the buggers

www.cycleblog.info