Muscle strain - any suggestions ?

King of Spain
King of Spain Posts: 60
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hope anyone can help...

I'm a regular rider, many years. Have completed a 3 day 300-miler recently and have some Alps adventures in 2 weeks time.
However, did a 120 miles yesterday (much to the displeasure of Mrs KoS[;)]) and spent the last 20 miles with incredible strain and pain on the OUTSIDE of both my right and left calf muscles. Regularly had to disengage from cleats just to stretch. Waking up today, they are still sore.[xx(]

This is new to me, and doesn't feel like it is saddle height-related like most knee/calf probs. My shoes are in fine shape...so what is it ?[?]

ANy help or suggestion greatly appreciated.
Thanks All
King of Spain

Comments

• wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    When I was in the mob, a KOS was a Knackerd Old S##t. Not age related is it [:)]
    Seriously, maybe you are just doing too much. If nothing has changed, equipment etc, you must listen to you body - it is telling you something. Distance is one thing but the same with a headwind all the way is something else - I know, 2 weeks ago yesterday 175k with a 40-50k headwind and I still have aches where I never thought I had muscles [:D]
  • cheers wotbus!

your definition of KoS is spot on (today at least) !...

Thing is yesterday was quite calm down here in middle england so dont think it was any tougher than usual. Needless to say I will ignore what body says and go and repeat torture same time next week ! [;)]
  • Artmo
    Artmo Posts: 8
    <i>Originally posted by King of Spain</i>

Hope anyone can help...

20 miles with incredible strain and pain on the OUTSIDE of both my right and left calf muscles. Regularly had to disengage from cleats just to stretch. Waking up today, they are still sore.[xx(]>>

I've had similar, but emanating from the outside of the knees and going down the side of my calves. I think it was tendonitis. Take a couple of Tylenol, treat the area with an ice pack for 15 min after the ride and rest a couple of days. Also do some stretching exercises. Before your next ride, take a couple of Tylenol or similar.
    Mine occurred after a long layoff towards the end of a 80 mile ride, 12 yr ago, so I thought I just overdid it. Have only had very slight probs since.
    Brit in SW Florida
  • solocp
    solocp Posts: 285
    To alleviate problem before it happens try ibuprofen. Works after as well as it prevents swelling. Popped a few due to a sore achilles and a sore knee on my end to end. Beware of the effect it may have on your stomach.
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    In addition to all the wise words above: You might like to check your foot position. My hubby had a similar sounding problem with his right calf. We reasoned his foot/Lower leg was 'rolling' outwards on the (MTB) cleats when he got tired.When he moved the cleat outwards slightly (2 or 3 mm) the problem disappeared.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • garria10
    garria10 Posts: 2
    I'm suffering from the same (or similar) complaint to others on this thread. A sharp pain running down the outside of both calfs (particularly on the right). medically speaking its the Peroneal tendons (there's 2 - the longus and the brevis. Both go under the ankle bone and assist in lifting and the toes up and out.) In my case I think it was brought on firstly by driving a car in very very heavy traffic for about 5 hours (I had to drive across London during the rush eternity and then turn right around and come back half an hour later) - this was followed by my regular 40 miles on my folder. Later on I had a couple of twinges from the outside of my right calf which felt exactly like someone had taken a pair of tweezers to a hair and pulled hard. I couldn't work it out! Anyway next day I did another 40 miler on the folder (not unusual)and seemed OK although the maniac with the tweezers was still there. Next day I started getting stabbing pains in the tendons as soon as I got on the bike, I rubbed the affected area and it felt like I'd run a razor down my leg! Sooo painful!

I thought about what had changed and realised that the saddle on my folder was higher than usual (being a folder it's easy to set it different height every time) and I'd been overstretching these tendons. What amazes me is that I got no warning pains whilst riding or even soon after! The pains are starting to go away thankfully but it's ice packs, anti-inflammatory pills (Ibuprofen) and rest and no cycling for me for a while - which is why I've got time to look in cycling forums!
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Streeeeetching.

Do some, do some more. Before and after. When you get up. When you've had a nice long hot bath. When you've spent 3 hours sitting at your desk without moving.

Streeeeetch!

And, Mr King Of Spain, <obscure_cricket_reference> Get back in shape! That Panesar bloke things he's the best we've got. We need the Wheely-Bin back in form!

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Stretch stretch and stretch some more! Can't emphasise it enough.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Artmo
    Artmo Posts: 8
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

Stretch stretch and stretch some more! Can't emphasise it enough.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is a train of thought (Cycling Plus article) that stretching is of little benefit to cyclists. Good warming up and cooling down are far more important than performing strange contortions[:)]
    Brit in SW Florida