Repair of titanium frame

toadspit
toadspit Posts: 7
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Hi
I'd be very grateful for any advice regarding repair of a cracked titanium frame.
It's a Raleigh special products division 900FS which I guess is approx. 10 years old now, and has covered some 10-12 thousand miles in that time very happily.
There is a crack on the downtube extending from the weld of the bottom bracket and curling diagonally upwards and around the tube for approx. half its circumference.[:(]
My immediate reaction was to scrap the frame, (very regretably since a replacement would be very expensive), but have been told that a repair could be carried out.
I was wondering if this is sensible, safe and effective especially down by the bottom bracket, and whether anyone in the forum has experience of repair of this type of frame.
I suspect the frame may be some sort of titanium alloy.
I'd be very grateful for any advice that may be given.
Thanks.

Comments

• Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    I would track down a Raleigh Service Centre and see if the guarantee is still valid. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever 'owns' Raleigh now will not cover the warranty and may be able to find you a replacement. (Mate of mind had a 25 year old tourer that was replaced)

Regarding repair, unlikely I would have thought as titanium is notoriously hard to manufacture and if it is the Raleigh I think it is it has a very large down tube. However, perhaps have a word with a couple of frame builders and see what they suggest (Condor, Chas Roberts and Dave Yates would be a good start).

Good luck
  • toadspit
    Thankyou. That is good advice. The downtube on my bike is the same diameter as the other tubes - which, to the eye are about the same as a traditional steel framed bike. Perhaps the downtube should have been larger as you suggest, though I certainly wouldn't hold it against Raleigh as it's been an excellent bike otherwise.
    Thanks again.
  • Vernon Barker in GB Cycles, Dronfield nr. Sheffield handles titanium frame repairs - very experienced builder. He's in the shop normally Mondays and Fridays. Tel 01246 412 061

David Jones

My bikes http://picasaweb.google.com/lb1dej

My clubs: Buxton CC - South Manchester CTC - VCC - VTTA
  • toadspit
    Thanks DEJ That's very helpful. Perhaps all is not lost afterall.
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    Not the frame I thought it was, try the warranty option first, if not try DEJ' suggestion.
  • toadspit
    Thankyou DEJ and Cyclistm. I shall try the warranty option I think followed by GB Cycles if that doesn't work.
    Many thanks for your help.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If nowhere on the lifetime warranty front, then try and find a local non-ferrous metal fabricator in your Yellow Pages. Find someone with experienced ti welders should be able to sort you out
  • toadspit
    Thanks Monty Dog. I think I've found someone who reckons he can handle it.
  • If warrenty isn't available I'd personally stick your first thoughts of "bin it". My training partner had 2 raleigh Ti frames in the early / mid ninetys and both failed (one was a warrenty replacement for the other). Then he was around 11st so not too heavy. As far as I can remember his failed at the top of the downtube. I've a feeling he bought it from GB cycles who eventually replaced it for a columbus SLX steel frame.
  • toadspit
    Yes. I'm coming round to that way of thinking as well. It's all about confidence I suppose which inevitably takes a hit. If its failed once.....etc.
    I believe that my frame dates from about that era - possibly it's the same type.