Nick

Its not a vest its a base layer!!
Cheers

Nick

Comments

• Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    Try crazyguyonabike. Some fantastic Italy trips on that site!!
  • Kirbycp
    Kirbycp Posts: 34
    Try http://www.lkjh.org/bike/tuscany/south/ ... index.html and associated links - cheers Kirby
  • Artmo
    Artmo Posts: 8
    Take look at www.rotalis.de. We did their S.Tuscany/Umbria Tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The site will give you the route but not the details
    Brit in SW Florida
  • Nick Hill
    Nick Hill Posts: 413
    Kirby that site looks good some beautiful photos

how useful were the rough guide and lonely planet books?

we are looking to do a self guided i.e. make it up as we go along ride

Is booking accommodation essential?

cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick

• DamonRead
    DamonRead Posts: 93
    I did an organised tour of Tuscany 2 years ago. The scenery was fantastic and it is great biking territory. The hills cannot be described as rolling though - they are tougher than that.

I am investigating doing Nice to Florence in September. Am hoping that this will be at the flatter coastal edge of Tuscany !
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I went Florence Nice a coupla years back and not very flat at all in some places along coast
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    I spent two weeks last May in Tuscany and Umbria, from Florence to Siena and south to Pitigliano, then from Spoleto to Norcia/Monte Sibillini/Piano Grande area. Very pretty countryside, well worth a visit, but the terrain is not what I would call rolling. I was climbing grades of 10% - 15% on a pretty regular basis. The scenery is well worth the effort, though.

I found the TCI regional maps really useful, they're about 1:200 000 or 1:250 000 scale and shaded to show contours. They show just about all the roads except the most remote dirt roads. I got some ideas for my route from the Lonely Planet cycling guide to Italy, which may or may not still be in print. I also used the Rough Guides for Tuscany and for Florence and Siena, which were really helpful.

mark
    mark
  • jumbolugs
    jumbolugs Posts: 181
    I have the TCI (1:200000) maps of Tuscany, Umbria Marche and Abruzzo Molise, all in brand-new condition and yours for the price of the postage if you want them - I bought them about 6 years ago for a tour that never happened. Would like to see them get used. They're lovely maps.
  • Nick Hill
    Jumbo PM sent thanks for the kind offer I can trade you for some french maps if your going that way?

10-15% is ok

as long as I don't tell the missus (although she is in training)

I like the idea of a self guided tour so will look into this as well

Cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Just came back from cycling through Italy and Greece.
    One must see route/road is the R222 from Florence to Siena, some climbing but you got see it. Highly recomended [:)]

www.geocities.com/bike_journeys/index.html
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xilios</i>

Just came back from cycling through Italy and Greece.
    One must see route/road is the R222 from Florence to Siena, some climbing but you got see it. Highly recomended [:)]

www.geocities.com/bike_journeys/index.html
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I looked at my map and most of my route from Florence to Siena followed the R222. I agree, it's a very pretty ride. Montefioralle (just outside Greve in Chianti) was my first look at an Italian hill town, its a very pretty little village and well worth the stiff climb up from Greve. Thanks for bringing back the memory!

mark
    mark
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Leaving fora 2 week tour of Tuscany on Monday if I find any great places to stay/see I'll let you know.

in a hole with a dog!
  • Nick Hill
    Cheers whoof

where are you flying into /starting from?

Nick

Cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Flew from Bristol to Pisa.
    Pisa airport is right on the edge of town. About 10 minutes ride from the leaning tower and 15 minutes from the campsite.
    Things I can recommend (or not).
    The campsite at Fiesole (just outside Florence) is very good, and up a ~5km climb above the city. It has a swimminng that looks down over the city, very spectacular. Can leave your bike safely in the campsite and the (after a 10~15 minute walk) in to Fiesole catch a very regular bus into the centre of Florence for 1.20 Euros.

Siena is also a great city if you like old buildings.
    Please note however the only campsite in Siena is shut.
    We stayed in a hotel 2 minutes from the main square. 50 Euros for a clean and basic room and bike in a sucure garage. I forget the name but it's the one recommended in the Lonely Planet Cycling in Italy guide.

The walled towns south of Florence, San Gimignano (campsite 1 mile from town with a bus leaving from the campsite for 1 Euro return)and Volterre are lovely.

The island of Elba was good for a few days chilling out. Ferry from Piombino for about 25-30 Euros each way.Stayed at the campsites at Aquaviva and the one next door. The water is warm and really clear and great for snorkling ( you can pick up a cheap mask and snorkle in the COOP on Elba.

If you feel you want to miss bits out try trains. Piombino to Pisa less than 10 Euros with a carriage for the bikes. Makes sure you book the bike on as they are only allowed on some trians.

in a hole with a dog!
  • Nick Hill
    Cheers whoof

sounds like just what we want to di with a mix of cycling and chilling out

Any chance you could PM me with a more detailed route or did you make it up as you went along ;-)

Cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick