SPD pedals

cycologist
cycologist Posts: 721
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I am looking for a reasonblly cheap pair of SPD pedals (they need to be SPD so as I can still use them without having to have different shoes for different bikes)
Another prerequisite is that they must have some degree of float in order to protect my dodgy knee.I have seen Shimano M520s going for about œ20 - does anyone know whether these have float or not ?

Two wheels good,four wheels bad

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    You won't find a better value pair of SPDs , yes they have float, I don't know how many degrees but it's quite a lot, and they can be wound off very slack to make them easy to get out of, again saving your knees.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    ^^^ what he said

520s are the ones - see ebay

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • gad
    gad Posts: 82
    I have M324s and M647s both will wind off to give loads of float.

Elephants are people too!
    Gad lays back and pedals slowly away, poor old soul. Elephants are people too! Arch for PM. \'Every home fit for baby elephants!\'
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I have the M520s on all my bikes. They have plenty of float and work well for my knees.

I tried PD-A520s on my best bike as they looked better on a good road bike - but changed them for the M520s due to a flare-up of a chronic knee complaint and the pain eased immediately.

I was thinking of trying M540's on my summer bike as they are lighter than the M520s, but don't know about the float position - can anyone assist on that?

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by penugent</i>

...I tried PD-A520s on my best bike as they looked better on a good road bike - but changed them for the M520s due to a flare-up of a chronic knee complaint and the pain eased immediately....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nooooo don't say that!! I have a bad left knee, and I just spec'd PD-A520s for my new road bike![xx(]
    Are they not as adjustable as M520s then?

Incidentally, I have a pair of PDM520 copies (Ritchey) that have adjuster screws with +/- on the adjuster - From your PDM-520 experience, which way gives more float? I figure it's "+" as this appears to loosen the spring tension. (Am guessing the Shimanos have similar adjusters).
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I have the M520s set to '-'. Suits me.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Thanks for your comments and assistance. Have ordered a pair of m520s.