Woman with attitude tries to knock me off the road

Spinner28
Spinner28 Posts: 58
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
I had a literal scrape with a woman in a Ford Galaxy last week whilst I was passing a parked car on a residential street. But it wasn't the bump that shocked me. It was the woman's attitude.

The car parking situation wasn't brilliant, there were two cars parked diagonally across from one another. As I was passing the car on my side, doing about 20-MPH, the Galaxy tried to push it's way through, even though even an idiot could see there wasn't enough space for two cars a bike & a people carrier. As a result the Galaxy sandwiched me & sideswiped me, leaving me fighting to stay upright, which I did.

The car stopped & the driver put the window down. I rode around to the drivers window & before I could open my mouth, this aggressive slob of a woman screamed that I want to watch where I'm F*****g going or else, & that she's in a car, I'm ONLY on a bike! When I tried to point out that I had as much right on the road as she did. She screamed back at me that I did not! She reckoned(still very agressivley), that I'm not allowed on the road & should be on the pavement!
In the meantime her passenger another similar sort of woman is screaming at her friend to get out & give me a good pasting! The driver opened the door & I slammed it shut again. She then put the electric window up, almost slicing off my fingers, & started screaming "police police help!" The last thing she said (through the closed window) before roaring off was that she was gonna get the police on me & that I'd damaged her car & cos I'm a bloody cyclist I don't have insurance.
I chased after her, memorised the registration & called the police myself. I also got the name of a lady witness who was sat patiently in the car behind watching all the drama unfold, she saw the argument but not the actual incident

The police were very helpfull, I had to report the incident at my local station, which I did later on that evening. Within two days I got an appointment at the local station with an officer who successfully traced the woman from the reg details. She did check out ok, with regards to driving licence etc, so the officer went round to her house that afternoon to give her a ticking off & educate her on the law regarding cyclists etc. The officer told me she did try to claim it was my fault, & I'd damaged her car etc, but I was told that since she'd not reported the incident, she didn't have a leg to stand on. Apparently you're supposed to report these things within 24-hours. Which I did.

So, hopefully this episode's really put the wind up her & taught her two things. 1. Yes cyclists are allowed the roads. 2. Don't mess with cyclists.

The scary thing is that I don't think her ignorance is an isolated case. I do think that a very large number of motorists really do belive that cyclists aren't suppose to use the road!

The best sheep are in N.Yorks

Comments

• murpheus
    murpheus Posts: 374
    Eek! Scary.

Hope you're okay, you seem to have been lucky with regards to the accident.

Every time I've been hit/collided with a car they have usually been extremely apologetic and concerned for my wellbeing.

Sounds like this bint has severe issues. Well done for getting her sorted out with the police.
    Have fun,
    Ed.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    something's in the air i reckon. they are out to get us this week. at least you had a witness and a good copper.

maybe we could get her and Mr Aston Martin together, they sound like a lovely couple who will live happily ever after.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Well done for keeping the moral high ground and getting the police to visit her - it's rare we hear one of these stories in which the police do the right thing.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Good work on reporting it Spinner!!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    Yes the police were brilliant! I would encourage anyone else who gets in a similiar sort of situation not to hesitate in reporting it.