Chainset/BB matrix

romans
romans Posts: 542
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I still can't get my head around the plethora of the choice of chainsets and BB's. I have a couple of bikes to build up and each time I try to work out what comgination to buy I end with a different setup and uncertainty. If there a matrix that would advise how to work out which BB fits which chainset (I am concerned about Q because one fixie I built gave me knee twinges)?

Romans

I'd sleep with my bike but only have a single bed ... I have to sleep on the floor.
Romans

I asked the telephone speaking clock lady for a date but she doesn\'t have the time.

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    As far as I know there is no comprehensive source of BB selection info.

Part of the reason will be that required BB length can depend on the frame as well as the chainset.
    If you fit a narrow Q road chainset on an MTB using it's recommended BB, you may find that the end of the crank doesn't clear the chainstay and you need to fit a longer BB. This could also apply to cyclocross bikes or tourers with plenty on mud and tyre clearance.
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    which BB and which c/set?

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • romans
    romans Posts: 542
    I have a titanium road frame to build up from scratch and I want to fit good gear. I am considering Campag triple for the Italian BB thread and 70mm wide. My present roadie has a Q of 280mm between pedal centres.

Romans

I'd sleep with my bike but only have a single bed ... I have to sleep on the floor.
    Romans

I asked the telephone speaking clock lady for a date but she doesn\'t have the time.