NORWICH 50/100

Anyone doing it??

If so can anyone tell me what its like and wheres the best place to stay please? (cheap as poss[;)]).

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241 ... rrera4.jpg

Comments

• grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Haven't done it for a few years as I'm often on holiday that weekend, but I think I'm about this time so may well do the 100.

Terrain wise it's as you'd expect - Norfolk is pretty flat so no major hills although it does undulate a little bit more than some people expect. Can be windy too so good idea to get some kind of group going if you can.

It's always been well attended and marshalled, would recommend.

Not sure about accommodation tho.
  • Will1985
    Will1985 Posts: 289
    I'm doing the 100 with someone from my old school. He suggested selecting the 8 hour bracket just in case...weather is horrible here today and I'm regretting leaving most of my winter/rain stuff at uni!

Norfolk is not as flat as you would think, just gently undulating, but the Broads area at the beginning is probably as flat as you can get in the county but windy.

Accommodation wise, best I've found is œ25 at Capital Hotel above the station. Travel Lodge and Holiday Inn appear to be fully booked at the same price.
  • jens
    jens Posts: 93
    I'm guessing the route will leave Norwich on either the A1242 or go up one of the fairly steep hills (Gas Hill/Ketts Hill/Gurney Road) but I've never done one of these routes before so it's hard to guess.

The ride from Blickling to Coltishall is on a quiet B road and was an easy route when I tried it a few weeks ago.

It should be a good ride as long as the weather clears up. I'll bring a compact waterproof just in case!
  • grahamcp
    Ha ha Gas Hill would be an evil twist at the start of the ride!

If it's anti-clockwise this year then I think it will leave the city via Gurney Road/Mousehold.
  • Will1985
    Gas Hill wouldn't be too bad at the beginning of the ride, as long as you go up spread out in case anybody runs into difficulty...I would hate to do it at the end!

Graham...let us know if you do decide to do it - there'll be a little C+ gathering!
  • Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    I'll be doing it for first time.

I did the first day of the tour of wessex on Saturday and was astounded by the hills only being used to suffolk and norfolk so I'll be looking forward to a nice comfy spin on Sunday!

Hope there'll be plenty of riders to get good groups going, if so should be pretty quick times.

Fat people are so insensitive

• grahamcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Will1985</i>

Gas Hill wouldn't be too bad at the beginning of the ride, as long as you go up spread out in case anybody runs into difficulty...I would hate to do it at the end!

Graham...let us know if you do decide to do it - there'll be a little C+ gathering!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm going to see how the weather turns out and register on the day if ok (new job and imminent holiday so don't want to risk getting ill).

It's a good idea to get a group going. If I ride then I'll probably be meeting a few club-mates too - starting at about 7:30.
  • halfords wizzkid
    halfords wizzkid Posts: 1,387
    Any of you guys fancy riding with me?? as my usual riding partner is working??

I will probably start at around 7.00 depending on which ride and weather of course.

• Will1985
    Jens and I are of a similar age to you HWK. Haven't received the pack yet or know a start time - not looking forward to a 6am wake up. We've put down for 8 hours but if it's good weather, no doubt we'll be going faster.

Have you found somewhere to stay yet?
  • halfords wizzkid
    I'm deciding to kip in a tent somewhere, or just drive up that morning and get a couple of hours kip in the car before starting.

will1985 you starting at 6? I'm going to sign on the day, probably start at 6 or 7??

• Will1985
    No I have to wake up at 6 to get into Norwich. Start for the 100 is between 7 and 8.
  • halfords wizzkid
    oh ok cool, well if i drive up i will have to leave at about 2 in the morning! 3-4 hour drive from sunny surrey!

i deciding to do the 50 miler.

• I have done the Century ride a few times in the past and it made its way up Ketts Hill at the start and to Acle on the Plumstead Road followed by Martham, Somerton and along the coast road to Bacton turning inland at Cromer Sheringham.
    I cycled part of the route last weekend and it is surprisingly busy with cars passing by every few seconds between Norwich and Horsey. Don't know if they have changed the route in later years as my last time was about 1995. Anybody know the full route?
    She was only an Admirals daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.
  • Will1985
    Ok, so who is there for sure? I've got a 7.30 start time on the 100. Number 546.
  • jens
    7.30 547 ;)

Not looking forward to getting up so early!

If anyone wants to sponsor me, here's my sponsor page: http://www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/jens
  • jens
    I just went out for my final "training" ride and to scout the start of the route. It goes up Gurney Road/Mousehold and out along Salhouse Road - the same on the way back, joining Norwich/[Salhouse] Road at the centre of this map: http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... &z=15&om=1 .

Good luck to anyone who reads this and is riding tomorrow. Just remember: the start of the route will go gently downhill but then there is a short hill on the other side of the river. On the return, going down this hill will be fast and dangerous - the corners are quite sharp and at the bottom you need to stop at the roundabout - which you have to go right at (in case you miss the arrow from going too fast :-) ).
  • That first hill was a bit sharp! and the one after Weybourne was a grueller as well. Don't know how they work out the 6 or 8hrs but I left at 7.40 and was back at 2.13 for a total of 6hrs 33min including the mandatory 1/2 hour break halfway, so 6hrs 03 actual cycling( damn, missed 6hrs by 3 minutes!). Got a certificate to say I had done it in under 8 hrs though.[:D]

She was only an Admirals daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.
  • jens
    Here's the 100 mile route for anyone interested: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /456716369
    (I've also put the 50 miler on there somewhere).

I also started at 7.40 but stopped to wait for Will - I thought he had gone at 7.30 even though I hadn't seen him. So I waited near Rackheath letting a load of people zoom past (stupidly I'd already overtaken quite a few of them even going up that pesky Mousehold hill). Then I joined Will and a very fast group and we overtook lots of people again, averaging about 40kph until about Happisburgh when we gave up keeping up. We had a 40 minute stop at Felbrigg (which not only lacked any decent savoury food but also cost a fortune) and then set off at a more sedate pace - there were some long hills on the way to Swanton Novers. Then a stop at Blickling followed by the last stint to Norwich.

The average speed was 30kph (mostly thanks to the fast bunch and Will) and the total riding time was 5 hours 24 minutes - I was quite chuffed at that because it was the first time I'd done over 60 miles in a day (only had my road bike for a year and I'm "only" 18). Using my Sigma 2006 MHR I measured the total climbing as 1.13km which is impressive for Norfolk.

Now the challenge is to meet my sponsoship target...
  • Will1985
    What Jens said...
  • Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    Very foggy to start with wasn't it?

I did great pace to Felbrigg and felt fine but fell apart on the hills :( still managed 5:10 though so can't be too unhappy.

nice vibe on the ride, shame about the heavy traffic back from Wroxham

• renard
    renard Posts: 51
    Had a great time going round the course with my brother.

Once the mist burnt off, the weather was great.

Norfolk definatley isn't flat, but more rolling than hilly.

A very good course for someones first 100mile ride.
  • Aha, If Jens had a dark blue top on I can remember you stopping at Rackheath and then passing later on. Surprising how many exotic bikes there were on the ride (œ1500+ steeds) but nice to see they had an outing. My pee smells rather sweet after 2 litres if SIS lemon!

• Will1985
    You are correct norfolkngood - I probably started with the fastest group of the day and when he jumped on we were doing about 40kmh, so we passed a lot of people.

There were indeed some nice bikes - the best 2 I saw were a Storck with Record in the Close, and a Flandria with Record whilst riding.

I feel good today as well..just come back from a hockey match with no aches as on previous occasions - does that mean I'm fitter?!?!?!