Bike e-vents "time bands"

Will1985
Will1985 Posts: 289
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
What do these mean? I get the impression that they are target times. Looking at the Norwich 100 next week, you have to choose a 6, 8 or 10 hour time band, so averageing 27, 20 or 16kph. It is more a charity ride, but do bike e-vents treat it like an audax event so you have to finish in a particular time frame or as a target time so you could finish an 90 minutes ahead of it without losing out on a certificate or something?

Just wondering as I averaged 26.5 kph on my last solo 100 but co-rider is suggesting go for the 8 hour.

Comments

• Mad Mat
    Mad Mat Posts: 240
    How fast is that in old money?

London to Paris 13/6/2007 sponsor me at WWW.justgiving.com/woodthorpe
    London to Paris 13/6/2007 sponsor me at WWW.justgiving.com/woodthorpe
  • Will1985
    Will1985 Posts: 289
    27kmh is 16.7mph
    20kmh is 12.5mph

100 miles in flat Norfolk shouldn't be as hard as a very hilly route surely?
  • PaulSB
    PaulSB Posts: 821
    I have always presumed the time bands are for the benefit of both the organisers and riders. Bike Events have no idea how long each indidual rider will take so they offer the opportunity to state an anticipated time band to complete. I always imagined one's start time is then determined by the time band one gives. A rider who states a ten hour time band will be given an earlier start time than one who states an eight hour time band. This allows Bike Events to calculate that after a certain time the marshall for a certain point can stand down. If they didn't do this there would be no way of knowing if all the riders had gone through and therefore when to stand down the marshall. Obviously by sending of the slower riders first this ensures they will always find a marshall at each turn.

On the Manchester 100 we used to see a marshall at an early point and then see him / her again at a later point. This suggest the marshalls are moved after a certain time.

Having said all that on the Manchester 100 the fast riders seem to set off earliest!

I've done a lot of Bike Events rides and none of them have been competitive or of an audax style. Everyone who finishes gets a certificate.

<font color="blue">~~~~~</font id="blue">
    www.brfcs.com - the fans choice since 1996
    <font color="red">Paul</font id="red">
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    It's simply to help clear the roads as soon as possible, by setting off slower riders first. I did the Norwich 100 a few years ago and it was very windy, not pleasant.

Naz

www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk
  • I also went to Norwich once and I concur, not pleasant.