Simply. The best?

2»

Comments

• Trembler49
    Trembler49 Posts: 273
    When people give me presnets (Birthday, Xmas etc.) I find myself keeping them safe for future use rather than using them. I often have a similar behaviour with clothes.

I suspect this is a backlash from my youth when I didn't have much money (nor did my parents).

Is this consumerism or what?
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trembler49</i>

When people give me presnets (Birthday, Xmas etc.) I find myself keeping them safe for future use rather than using them. I often have a similar behaviour with clothes.

I suspect this is a backlash from my youth when I didn't have much money (nor did my parents).

Is this consumerism or what?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds more like some unresolved issues to me around your child hood rather than consumerism[:)]

I also had no money in my youth but have no trouble spending it now, the more the better (probably just another unresolved issue opposite to yours!)
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigjim</i>
    On another note I always think that the more you have the more you have to lose. I don't want to lay awake worrying about my shiny new car/bike in the drive in case somebody wants to take it away from me.

There's an ad been on TV recently, for a car (can't remember which, so it can't be that effective an ad - maybe VW..), which seems to make that point, but somehow it's meant to sell the car... It's series of scenes illustrating a voiceover which says something along the lines of "When you buy a car, you buy the responsiblity to look after it, to clean it, to guard it..." and so on. It seems to me that it's saying "Look at the hassle that comes with a new car", but in the end you are supposed to think "Well, if I have to do all that, it better be for a car that's worth it..." With a different tag line, it seems to me it could be saying "Look, having a new car is a bloody millstone around your neck!"

I think consumerism is a fexible concept, depending on the person. Yes, to me, it's buying Prada handbags or replacing anything just because it's out of fashion. But to my sister, perhaps it's the helmet cam I bought for fun, or having more than one bike. She likes clothes, bothers about looking good, so it makes more sense to her to buy new ones regularly.

I think the point it goes crazy is people getting into debt in order to have stuff beyond the basics (food, a place to live (not counting mortgages as debt in this example), a basic level of comfort...) If you have the money, and want to spend it all on stuff, go ahead. But if you don't have the money, don't spend it and then have to work like crazy to pay off the debt...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Joe Sacco
    A few 'experts' still keep telling us that once yearly salary goes above œ14k then happiness doesn't increase at all in relation to money. One even felt that tax should be at almost 100% for above œ14k salaries as that would force everyone to be happy!
    I think he may have been assuming that what makes him happy fits all...
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

A few 'experts' still keep telling us that once yearly salary goes above œ14k then happiness doesn't increase at all in relation to money. One even felt that tax should be at almost 100% for above œ14k salaries as that would force everyone to be happy!

Er, no. You don't really understand what goes into research, Joe. There's been quite a lot of research on this, based on huge transnational surveys. These findings are pretty consistent. But remember, they are averages across a massive range of people - there will be lots of variation within that. So just because you don't agree with the average, that doesn't make the surveys wrong, it just makes you either 1. not average, or perhaps 2. deluding yourself!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    If you are replacing something which is quite serviceable just because a newer model is available that, to me, is a waste. Why do people do it? You have just bought a new bike but are not happy about the wheels, did you check the spec. before you bought it? Couldn't you have asked the supplier to upgrade the wheels? I have often changed the spec. on a new bike and it did cost a bit more but not nearly enough as buying a replacement.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Er, no. You don't really understand what goes into research, Joe. There's been quite a lot of research on this, based on huge transnational surveys. These findings are pretty consistent. But remember, they are averages across a massive range of people - there will be lots of variation within that. So just because you don't agree with the average, that doesn't make the surveys wrong, it just makes you either 1. not average, or perhaps 2. deluding yourself!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Definitely not average, far better than average[:)]

Didn't realise the survey was transnational, the article I was reading didn't mention that. If the œ14K was a UK figure it would only just cover mortgage/rent in the south! So on that basis the research is a pointless as we would need a UK figure which would no doubt be far higher than œ14k.
    It would sound a bit different if the claim was as soon as you earn more than œ60K your happiness does not increase wouldn't it.
  • flattythehurdler
    flattythehurdler Posts: 2,314
    I now earn a few quid, but still the best thing for me is to be able to walk into a bookshop and buy a book if I want to, or similarly a CD. Despite relative affluence, it is still these things which give me more satisfaction than houses or cars.

Dan
    Dan
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ajevans</i>

Asterix:
    Is that science fiction book you're referring to "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley? He wrote it after returning from the USA in the 1930's, alarmed at what he saw there.

No, it wasn't 'Brave New World', rather more lightweight and probably written in the late 50's early 60's maybe Robert Heinlein?

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    It must be nice to wonder through life with very little. I guess if you wished to experience a nice/car/bike etc you can always hire such things. You can then return them without the pain of ownership or the threat of the novelty wearing off and have to suffer the pangs of wanting the next model that companies have lying in wait for you. Why keep shelves of books when the library will store them for you for nothing.

Jim[:)]

Nothing to prove.
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigjim</i>

It must be nice to wonder through life with very little. I guess if you wished to experience a nice/car/bike etc you can always hire such things. You can then return them without the pain of ownership or the threat of the novelty wearing off and have to suffer the pangs of wanting the next model that companies have lying in wait for you. Why keep shelves of books when the library will store them for you for nothing.

Nothing to prove.

I wandered through my childhood with very little (ahh) and I wouldn't say it was nice. You hippy[:)]
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left!

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    The SF story was part of a series which included The Wizards of Pung's Corners, by Fred Pohl.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987

Nothing to prove.

I wandered through my childhood with very little (ahh) and I wouldn't say it was nice. You hippy[:)]

On the other hand, I had a fairly abstemious childhood, and never really felt deprived. I just learned (well, it was so ingrained, it wasa hardly like learning) to appreciate what I had. And it's made me happier now, because I really appreciate being able to buy the odd treat and can be more easily delighted by a cheap bargain chosen for me with care, than a big flashy gift bought with no thought.

Bigjim - books I'm afraid, are one of the things I do tend to hoard. I just love having them. But if I had to, I could give most of them away...

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Posts: 703
    I think it all comes down to what you value. I buy too many books, and I have now run out of space in my flat to put them. Mrs. P berates me for incessantly buying books, but she regularly declares that there is nothing in her already heaving wardrobe that she can wear, and then it's a œ100+ trip to Gap/Monsoon/Top Shop etc. I would also think nothing of spending quite a bit of money on a camera lens that I didn't strictly need (I have done that quite a few times!) On the other hand, I think of myself as being someone that doesn't need a posh house or a flash car, I have a flat and a Focus! It's all about what you enjoy.
    Dave
  • spend,consume and contribute to the economy[;)]
    jokes aside, i always seem to reach a point where i look around and see my possessions as a weight around my neck,a hindrence, from what i'm never quite sure. i get a real sense of well being when shedding things that i have gathered but don't use i urge anyone to look around and really look at what you actually need. i too am from a modest up bringing and have found myself to be earning nicely now but always get that guilty feeling when buying something substantial almost like i don't deserve it, perhaps a by product of a frugal youth. funnily, have been with my lady for three years now who grew up with immense wealth through her family yet her greatest enjoyment is a nice evening meal(insert me too please) at home then taking the dog for a walk(again insert me here!). having gone into the consumer bermuda traingle she has emerged as a level headed,humble understanding lady. consumerism can corrupt you, better check ya self!

dangerous jules.
    if you really want something in this life you have to work for it, now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers!
    dangerous jules.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">consumerism can corrupt you, better check ya self!
    Yes course it can. But there are many who embrace it wholeheartedly. Looking for the next fix. Trying to follow a dream. My dream? Own house with a bit of land. grow my own food. Ride one of my two bikes [spoilt] to the shops for what I can't grow and the library who are very kindly buying and storing my books for me. No car [tax, insurance, mot, rip off repairs] so an emptyish garage. Weld the post box up, so no bills, posters, threatening letters, etc. Probably by now no wife, [mmmm, no sex, love, conversation] so maybe it's not possible after all. Anybody been there done that? By the way sat here now instead of out on my bike because last night/this morning I drove back from Brighton to Manchester and spent hours sat in traffic jams on the f...ing M6 at 1am in the morning as they were closing the motorway down to 1 lane to allow them to play with the road surface. Driving. stuff it![:(!]

Jim

Nothing to prove.