Freehub on Fulcrum racing 7s

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I have a pair of Fulcrum racing sevens that has a Shimano 10 speed freewheel on it. I now want to fit a Shimano eight speed block on it. Unfortunately the eight speed block will not fit on it as the splines are too high on the freewheel. Does anyone know where I can get an older freewheel that will accept the eight speed block and will fit on to the racing seven hub?

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You might be out of luck. The high splines are for Shimano 10 speed; it's a way of making sure that the cassettes don't dig in to soft alloy freehubs...
  • Yes, but all my other wheels take 9 and 10 speed cassettes. I would have thought the Fulcrums would have had a freewheel that can take a nine speed. I want to use these wheels on my training bike which has 9 speed rather than on my good bike which has 10. I might have to go and find a friendly machinist.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Dura Ace ten speed hubs have alloy carriers, so the 10 speed cassettes have deeper splines. The 10 speed cassettes will fit on 8 speed hubs but not vice versa :(
    I suspect that the problem is that the fulcrums have a spline set to fit the 10 speed cassettes, in which case it will be too deep for the 8 and 9 speed cassettes.
    You could probably deepen the splines in the cassette to make it fit.
  • Acorn, Thats right, What I want is to find an old freehub that I can fit on to the fixed hub of the Fulcrums to change with the 10 speed freehub currently on the wheel. I hadn't thought of deepening the cassette. I guess it may be time to get the files out.