Polka Dot Challenge - traffic / main roads?

normanp
normanp Posts: 279
I have entered but am now having second thoughts as I have heard that it is on main/trafficy roads. I could easily find a hard day's ride nearer home without being buzzed by fast cars/lorries every few minutes! Or maybe I have got it wrong...?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by normanp</i>

I have entered but am now having second thoughts as I have heard that it is on main/trafficy roads. I could easily find a hard day's ride nearer home without being buzzed by fast cars/lorries every few minutes! Or maybe I have got it wrong...?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The organisers have done all they can to the route to make it as traffic free as possible....this year there has been lots of mods to do just that...I think that the Cat & Fiddle/Snake Pass/Winnats could be a trifle busy at times...but the Cat & Fiddle is 1st climb so pretty early on so shouldn't cause too much probs, This will be my first time doing the Polkadot, can't wait, this route is totally loaded with climbs made famous by the Milk Race, and having the privilige to share the experience with 600 odd other pain seekers will only add to the occasion, done the FWC 2 weeks ago and it was brill, just having so much others around sharing the same pain is splendid, I've been really smitten with these Sportifs and I will hopefully be signing up for 2 or 3 a year from now on.

The Spud Riley is the sister Challenge to the Polkadot and covers all the small quiet backroads around the Peak District, supposedly a tad harder than the Polkadot, maybe you should have opted for that...but I can't see the Polkadot being too busy, its got such a good reputation in a stunning setting....bring it on.
  • bucketbanger
    bucketbanger Posts: 142
    I did the Polka Dot last year and didnt really have many problems with traffic. It can be a little busy with traffic for the first few miles when heading towards Maclesfield untill you reach the start of the Cat & Fiddle.

This years route now misses out the drag along the A6 down to Buxton and takes in some traffic free country lane instead.

In my opinion the Snake Pass never really gets super busy with traffic, as most of the heavy traffic doing the Trans Pennine Manchester - Sheffield route use the Woodhead Pass.

Only real problem could be Winnats Pass, just based on the fact the road is very narrow , somewhat steep & has traffic running both ways then add in a couple of 100 cyclist. If i was running the PDC i would cut Winnats out of the route and use the road along the Vale of Edale then the climb up the rear side of Mam Tor.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes Winnats is busy - but not dangerous because cars tend to be going so slowly - and it is such a well known climb it'd be a shame to exclude it for those who don't live locally and have never ridden it before.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • BoomBoomcp
    BoomBoomcp Posts: 14
    Only problems with traffic i had last year were on the stretch to Buxton along the A6 and that is being missed out this year. Getting an early start helps as you sre over half way before the drivers are awake.
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Thanks - sounds OK - I'll be there!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am looking forward to it as I have never cycled that part of the country before. Even more so that my new bike should built this week just in time to get a couple of weeks riding on it before the event.

Brian B.
    Brian B.