Stupid me fell off

Unknown
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Had my first fall on Thursday morning. I knew it was going to happen even before I left the house. I was half asleep and I remember saying to myself as I was ironing my shirt "if I don't wake up properly I'm going to end up in an accident".

Sure enough, I hop up a kerb at slow speed and promptly fall to the left, handlebar digging in and under my lower rib on my right. Nasty graze on abdomen, large but light graze on left knee.

I salute the *long* line of traffic watching me and cycle off to a quiet spot to assess my injuries.

Judging from the pain I'm still in, I have cracked and bruised my lowest rib. No cycling for me for a while [xx(]

Later, I'll post a link to a pic of my rather impressive graze.

Hmm?

Comments

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by StefanH</i>

Had my first fall on Thursday morning. I knew it was going to happen even before I left the house. I was half asleep and I remember saying to myself as I was ironing my shirt "if I don't wake up properly I'm going to end up in an accident".

Sure enough, <b>I hop up a kerb</b> at slow speed and promptly fall to the left, handlebar digging in and under my lower rib on my right. Nasty graze on abdomen, large but light graze on left knee.

I salute the *long* line of traffic watching me and cycle off to a quiet spot to assess my injuries.

Judging from the pain I'm still in, I have cracked and bruised my lowest rib. No cycling for me for a while [xx(]

Hmm?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Bad luck ,there, mate. Get well soon. Sure you weren't cycling on the pavement?! (you 'hopped up a kerb')
  • I was cycling on the pavement, indeed. It's a short section up to the (very large multi-lane) island adjacent to an industrial park. I figure it's safer for all concerned if I skip the island (I have to negotiate past 4 exits and drivers are often confused by the lane layout) and do a short illegal pavement trundle.

Pics of my injuries are on my myspace.

Hmm?
  • mazcp wrote:

Anyone else beginning to think we will never get to see a picture of mazcp's rather impressive graze?

Do I win a prize for resurrecting the most dead thread? :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How about this picture?
    1C87BE73-FD10-4340-AFC234B1A61919E3.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im not the proud of owner of these tootsies but thought i would bring it to the group

ow.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Arm1.jpg
    My arm, 3 days after coming off the MTB and the brake lever going into my bicep (still wrapped around my top) by 1/2" and nearly severing the small muscle behind the bicep in the process, the cast used to protect that muscle has just come off.

Hurt - hmm yes!

About 2 months later I cracked a rib with another off (washout on boarding covered in wet leaves) and was commuting 6 days later - no pain no gain!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Note to self...stay out this thread. I don't need to see what cycling can do to me.

(Strangely a piece of my bike skewering me scares me, being run over by a truck not so much)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im not the proud of owner of these tootsies but thought i would bring it to the group

ow.jpg

That, My Friend, Is F*cking Rancid.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    suzyb wrote:
    Note to self...stay out this thread. I don't need to see what cycling can do to me.

(Strangely a piece of my bike skewering me scares me, being run over by a truck not so much)

Make sure you have bar end plugs fitted then. You don't want to fall on a handlebar without them, even with them hurts.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Veronese68 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Make sure you have bar end plugs fitted then. You don't want to fall on a handlebar without them, even with them hurts.

And without bar plugs, your handlebar tape will soon look a right mess! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

And without bar plugs, your handlebar tape will soon look a right mess! :D
    Very true, and you don't want it to get caught up in the front wheel.
  • Oh I'll play.... this was me when i broke my collar bone in Regents park...
    The yellow is a bruise and the red is the bone trying to come through, and yes, it hurt..

6662048263_88900208ac.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: