OT maths problem

13»

Comments

• natureboyz
    natureboyz Posts: 82
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johndf</i>

Glad to see Natureboyz has gone quiet. He needs to read the question again.

Just in case you are there, Natureboyz, here is the question which I think you were answering. 'If a coin has already come up heads nine times in a row, what is the chance that it will come up heads next time?' This is totally different to the question which was asked.

If you really were answering the original question as asked, then you have no understanding of probability. But that puts you in the same class as Professor Roy Meadows, who understands nothing about probability, (well statistical independence anyway), yet gets women convicted because apparently none else in court understood this simple concept either.

As for the snooker question, the probability is zero, assuming that you can measure with perfect accuracy.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ok ,I should have read the question more carefully .
    I was wrong.[:I]
  • Dont worry about it Natureboyz. We all do that from time to time.
    Well 'ard for coming back though, matey. Respect to you! [^]

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Depends which op you mean, I had 4 in last 2 years
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cacbyname</i>

Never won the lottery as I've never played it. I feel I pay enough tax already without making a voluntary contribution and I prefer to choose the beneficiaries of my charitable donations myself.

Sounds like your operation was a success at least [:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[8D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maddog 2</i>

I've just done 10 numbers and it guessed every one. Include random numbers from my phone book.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mathematically easy to explain - any two gigit number that has the sum of it's digits subtracted from it always has a multiple of nine as the answer

67-13=54
    88-16=72
    18-09=09
    99-18=81
    41-05=36

See?

Next time you load the game look at the symbol next to the multiples of nine and click on the crystal ball without selecting a two digit number. The symbol next to the multiples of nine changes each time you click neatly masking the method used.
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    well spotted VL [;)]

sneaky....

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • Mollie
    Mollie Posts: 90
    You've got to love that nine times table. I just discovered that there's a one to one correspondence between all the real numbers and the real numbers in an interval, which is to say that there are as many real numbers between zero and one as there are between zero and infinity. Now what were the chances of that happening?
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Also any number where the digits added togeather are divisible by 3 are also divisible:
    153, 1+5+3= 9 which is divisible by 3 as is 153

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Not only that there are an infinate number of integers and an infinate number of real numbers but there are infinately 'more' real numbers than integers.