No Stoves on Easyjet

AndrewClark
AndrewClark Posts: 209
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
After hearing a few bad story's I emailed them to check..

Question

What is Easyjets current policy on the carriage of camping stoves in hold baggage ? I normally carry a Trangia stove, this is an unpressurised stove that burns methylated spirit.

Obviously fuel cannot be carried but I note that the webpage where you gave guidance on the safe carriage of camping stoves has vanished.

"Thank you for your e-mail about the carriage of camping stoves.

We do not allow the transport of camping stoves in our aircrafts.

I have included a link below to more information about this policy."

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

Link doesn't mention stoves, just the usual stuff about pressurised containers / inflammable liquids.

Looks like my first job in France is going to be buying a new stove at Decathlon [:(!]

Comments

• Or you could put it in your baggage and keep quiet about it? It'll only be an issue if they search your luggage and if they do you can always feign ignorance.
  • bikepacker
    bikepacker Posts: 898
    Strip it down and put the parts inside other items. I did it with my Primus Gravity and it wasn't detected.

I'm pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    A Trangia is easy to carry on a plane.

All it is is a collection of pots and pans

To stop any sensors being triggered by the smell of meths I always keep the actual burner in a tupperware container (which with a bit of expermintation I found one exactly the right size to fit inside the Trangia kettle)

The side effect is it also stops you food having the taint of meths
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 469
    The reply was clearly written by an ignorant employee who has no idea what a Trangia is and didn't read your email properly.

Take your Trangia. Most airport staff won't know or care what it is. The stove itself is, as Brains says, just a collection of pots and pans - and that's what it'll look like on the x-ray machine. Make sure the burner's empty and bone dry. The worst that can happen is that the burner gets confiscated; you can buy a new one when you arrive.

You can usually carry meths as well. Put it in a Sigg-type fuel bottle and on the x-rays it looks like water. As long as it's tightly sealed, there's very little danger. It's safer than glass bottles of whiskey, vodka or after-shave that people regularly carry in their hold luggage. And again, the worst that can happen is that it's confiscated. Big deal - buy some more.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
  • AndrewClark
    There have been enough comments about stoves being confiscated on this and other sites to make me wary. Easyjet did have a page on their site stating that stoves were permitted and fuel was not. This has now disappeared.

I've copied my email and the reply to the CTC with a request that they clarify the matter with Easyjet. Hopefully an approach from a large association will get a more detailed response.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uncle Phil</i>

The reply was clearly written by an ignorant employee who has no idea what a Trangia is and didn't read your email properly.

You can usually carry meths as well. Put it in a Sigg-type fuel bottle and on the x-rays it looks like water. As long as it's tightly sealed, there's very little danger. It's safer than glass bottles of whiskey, vodka or after-shave that people regularly carry in their hold luggage. And again, the worst that can happen is that it's confiscated. Big deal - buy some more.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It certainly will be confiscated in hand-baggage and should not be put in the hold. No liquid items over 100mls (container size, not actual amount) to be taken on planes in hand-baggage. Basically if you attemt to go through secutrity with those items, then they will be discarded.

Following from BA...

What are the rules regarding the carriage of liquids on a flight?
    More information

European Union Liquid Policy
    The EU rules on liquids apply to all air passengers travelling from any EU airport, including UK airports, as well those travelling from Albania, Kosovo, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland regardless of their destination. The changes became effective from November 6, 2006.
    Limited quantities of liquids, gels or pastes must be held in individual containers not exceeding 100ml (approximately 3.5 fl. oz).
    This may include:
    Shampoo
    Creams
    Hair gel, hair spay
    Suntan lotions
    Toothpaste
    Liquid or aerosol deodorants
    Perfumes
    Cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss
    Water and other drinks, soups and syrups
    Other items of similar consistency

The containers must be carried in a separate clear plastic, zip-top or re-sealable bag that does not exceed 20 cm x 20cm (8 inches x 8 inches) or equivalent to one litre capacity.

Items must fit in the bag comfortably and the bag must be completely closed.

At the airport security search, the plastic bag must be removed from the cabin bag and x-ray screened separately.

Which countries are in the EU?
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
    Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, and the United Kingdom

In addition, air passengers travelling from airports in Albania, Kosovo, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland should comply with the new liquids policy.

In the hold (Checked baggage):

Dangerous goods are articles or substances which are capable of posing a risk to health, safety, property or the environment. The carriage by air transport of these materials is strictly regulated.

We do not allow the following dangerous goods on board our aircraft on your person, as part of carry-on or checked baggage:

* Explosives - fireworks, ammunition, flares etc.
    * Gas cylinders containing flammable, non-flammable, toxic and refrigerated liquefied gas (e.g. butane, oxygen, propane, refrigerated liquid nitrogen etc).
    * Flammable liquids - paint, petrol, lighter refills, solvents, varnish etc.
    * Flammable solids - firelighters etc.
    * Substances liable to spontaneous combustion
    * Substances which in contact with water emit flammable gases
    * Oxidising materials - paint stripper, etc.
    * Organic peroxides - bleach, etc
    * Toxic substances - insecticides, weedkiller, etc.
    * Infectious substances - bacteria, viruses, etc.
    * Radioactive materials
    * Corrosives - wet cell batteries, acids, mercury barometers, etc.
    * Miscellaneous dangerous goods - magnetised materials, dry ice (carbon dioxide solid) chemical and first aid kits etc.

Note: strike anywhere matches, disabling devices (mace, pepper spray etc) and security attach cases containing dangerous goods (e.g. pyrotechnic devices etc.) are FORBIDDEN.

Cooking Oils are also prohibited from carriage in checked or carry-on baggage.

Seems pretty clear. I'd rather not argue the case at the airport.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • AndrewClark
    To update this a little, I've had a 2nd reply from Easyjet stating they do _not_ permit the carriage of stoves as hold luggage and also a reply from Liverpool Airport saying _they_ don't have a problem with them. As I've probably raised my profile by asking for clarification I don't think I'd better risk taking one with me.

Not happy with the CTC, emailed them twice asking them to look at the issue and haven't had an acknowledgement.

Dear Mr. Clark,
    >
    > To clarify:
    >
    > The camping stove is allowed to be taken, as long as it is completely empty and free from any residue of fuel. No fuel
    > is allowed to be taken.
    >
    > If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Station Manager
    > G4S Aviation Security Ltd.
    > Liverpool John Lennon Airport
    > Level 2
    > Speke
    > Liverpool
    > L24 1YD
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    I'd just take it in the hold without the fuel anyway. A stove without fuel is just a lot of inert metal bits. To say it can't be taken is completely ridiculous.
  • I have flown several times on Easyjet with my MSR Dragonfly in the hold , never had a problem.
    I take the top off the empty fuel bottle though.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • jalapeno
    jalapeno Posts: 1,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

I have flown several times on Easyjet with my MSR Dragonfly in the hold , never had a problem.
    I take the top off the empty fuel bottle though.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    this is what I do, wash the fuel bottle out thoroughly, and the pump. pack bottle with cap off so shows up as such on exrays. Carry pump packed away from the stove.

http://www.mikesbikepages.me.uk
    http://www.mikesimagination.net
    http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

Painted Roads.. colourful cycling adventures
    http://www.paintedroads.com
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    According to IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulations, which over 250 of the worlds most reputable airlines are signed up to. Camping stoves can be carried in checked baggage if, the operator approves and stove and/or fuel container has been
    completely drained of all liquid fuel and action has been taken to nullify the danger.

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.