Help with Mavic Kysrium ES Wheels

David167
David167 Posts: 191
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've just bought these wheels and need some advice: I've adjusted the front bearings for play on the wheel while on the bike with the special tool as instructed by the mavic instructions. However, on spinning the wheel while on the bike it spins only for about 35 odd seconds in comparison to other wheels which spin for a lot longer. I've adjusted for play just to the point were there is none, so I don't think i've done them too tight. I'm wondering whether the grease in the hubs will take a bit of time to "loosen" or i'm i wrong in thinking that.

On the subject of bearings adjustment, I've done the same on the rear wheel (which spins fine) but whether I tighten it or loosen it doesn't seems to affect play at all. I'm wondering whether this adjustment (and for the front wheel) is for something else completely. According to some searches i've done on the web, these wheels are adjustable for different conditions, to either spin freely or not. Can anyone help?

Thanks

http://dnunez.bulldoghome.com/photos/BD ... ghome_com/

Comments

• llanberispass
    llanberispass Posts: 146
    I would not get too wound up about this. I have Krysium Elites and they exhibit same behaviour.

They will not spin freely like say old style campag because of the bearing seals. In practice the drag is negligible. The bonus is you can use them and more or less forget about them apart from lubricating the freewheel (instructions on Mavic web site on how to do this).

In the time i have had these wheels i have been thro 2 Campag Veloce bottom brackets (shot due to long rides in rain) and they have not required touching apart from a slight tightening using special tool.
  • David167
    David167 Posts: 191
    Thanks for your reply llanberispass.

I'm just wondering whether someone with the same wheels can confirm this is the case. Someone must have these wheels, surely.

http://dnunez.bulldoghome.com/photos/BD ... ghome_com/
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    yes I have ES wheels - but have never thought about ajusting them. Why on earth should I? They work just fine.

Sounds like a case of "don't fix it if it isn't broken"
  • tony_s
    tony_s Posts: 237
    should've bought the shamals while you had the chance then shouldn't ya!! The gold would've matched yer teeth....

You can't have everything.... Where would you put it?

couple o'pics
    You can\'t have everything.... Where would you put it?

couple o\'pics