First Ride Out

Not A Clue
Not A Clue Posts: 15
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Well, I know I'm a week late but I finally got out on my bike and did nearly 6 miles. Of course now I have questions...

#1. My toes went numb on my left foot. I've had this problem before while spinning. I've tried to loosen the laces on my shoes and not strapping my feet into the pedals to tightly. So is there anything else it could be?

#2. My fingers go numb too. What can I do about this?

I really like being out on my bike and these two things make it a nuisance to ride. Please help me if you can!!!!
Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

Comments

• For your fingers, try to balance the weight so you aren't leaning on your hands too much, also make sure you have a good pair of gloves with padding as you could be leaning on the ulnar(?) nerve and causing loss of sensation.

Never had numb toes so can't suggest anything!
  • Not A Clue
    Right, will try that. Thanks!
    Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    Yeah, gloves will make a difference. At this time of year, you only want mitts, or your hands will boil! Try to get some with plenty of padding. Specialized do a good pair.

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • TULETT
    TULETT Posts: 22
    Numb toes could be because you are pushing down with your toes pointed down and hence are forcing them into the front of your shoe. Try pushing you heel down first.
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Not A Clue</i>

Right, will try that. Thanks!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What sort of socks are you using?

Rhino's are the new Elephant
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • Not A Clue
    I have some pearl izumi socks that I wear.

Hmmmm?
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    numb toes tend to be a sign of the toes being cold (??) or the shoes being a little too small (??). could these be what caused the discomfort?

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    Numb toes and fingers after just 6 (six?) miles?

I have experienced both but never after such a short journey.

1) Make sure you wear gloves with 2 separate pads on the palm. There should be a slight gap down the middle so there is no pressure on "Carpal Tunnel". Also don't rest the bars on this area.

2) Sounds like your shoes are too tight and/or toestraps are too tight. Go for a more relaxed touring shoe and SPDs. There's no need to have hard,tight shoes unless you are racing.

You need to do something though because if it's this bad at 6 miles (25 mins?)it will be excruciating at 50 (4 hours)...could even result in long-term nerve damage unless you sort it.
  • Not A Clue
    freddered - I have very loose shoes and even have them laced loosely because I've had this same problem while on a spinning bike.

I will try and remember to use the correct foot position and see if that works and I will also try to remember to put my bike gloves on next time I'm out.
    Thanks for all the help. Will keep you posted!