What a bike thief looks like

Comments

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

Thats all you guys think about isnt it?? the weight of the lock!! screw that I'd rather have a lock that weighed more then the bike than have to pay out for a new bike!! think about it!!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241 ... rrera4.jpg
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I'd prefer to have no lock and no bike thieves.
    Why should I spend 100 on a lock that weighs more than the bike because society tolerates parasites like this? I should be spending that money on making my bike lighter and thieves should be eradicated.

Baby elephants? Pah!!

Why should I have to lock my house, why should I have to lock my car etc, etc,. That is the world we live in. More accpetance than tolerance. Again, the wise man would have insurance...
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pgs</i>

Some commuting tricks to deter bike thieves.

1 Lock a lousy yuky looking hack bike at each station, wont get stolen no need to take on train.(This is what they do in Holland and Belgium, hence the huge station cycle parks). These unpopular machines can ride well, for example mine were a steel Trek with scratched frame and butterfly handle bars at the safer station, (called "Frankenbike"), and a 1960's ladies bike at the less safe end, total cost of both bikes œ35. Components frame etc very unnattractive to bike thief)

2 Buy a folder, I just used mine from Dorking to Bristol, (an alloy Dahon 20 inch wheels with scope to carry panniers from beam rack), parks behind seat, rolls luggage through station, no taxi or bus costs, journey time door to door less than the car, and cost much the same.

3 Remove wheel skewers, seat post, and use more than one lock, deflate at least one tyre, if possible take one wheel with you on the train. Use a cheap bike for commuting.

4 Join CTC, insure your bike with them.

Phew...after all that I'd rather not bother!! Much prefer to have the barstewards locked up and out of harms way!!!

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Why should I have to lock my house, why should I have to lock my car etc, etc,. That is the world we live in. More accpetance than tolerance. Again, the wise man would have insurance...

So fools who don't pay for insurance deserve to have their bikes stolen, because wise men pay so they can smugly wave their insurance certificate and say 'awww let the poor fellow go, he only wanted your bike, you should have had insurance'?
    Why bother with police and prison at all, we should clearly just buy insurance against any crime that might effect us.

The guy was stealing bikes not because of his dodgy upbringing, but because it's a fairly sensible low risk way of making some extra money. It's this sort of petty crime that needs punishing hard, there is no deterrent and these crimes effect every one of us.
    I hope your insurance certificate is of comfort as you walk home again Joe and I'm glad you accept petty crime as the norm, because it's attitudes like yours that cause it.
    'He should've had insurance' is exactly how the thief is justifying his behaviour to himself I'm sure.
    No tolerance! Cut his bloody hands off!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brock_71</i>

I hope your insurance certificate is of comfort as you walk home again Joe and I'm glad you accept petty crime as the norm, because it's attitudes like yours that cause it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yet another poster misunderstands the perfectly reasonable Mr Sacco.[:D][:D][:D]
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    Looked at picture, I will toast your bike at "beer o clock" mate.
    Nice go anywhere do anything road machine, how is it downhill at speed, stable I should think ?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Top_Bhoy</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pgs</i>

1 Lock a lousy yuky looking hack bike at each station, wont get stolen no need to take on train.(This is what they do in Holland and Belgium, hence the huge station cycle parks). These unpopular machines can ride well, for example mine were a steel Trek with scratched frame and butterfly handle bars at the safer station, (called "Frankenbike"), and a 1960's ladies bike at the less safe end, total cost of both bikes œ35. Components frame etc very unnattractive to bike thief)

2 Buy a folder, I just used mine from Dorking to Bristol, (an alloy Dahon 20 inch wheels with scope to carry panniers from beam rack), parks behind seat, rolls luggage through station, no taxi or bus costs, journey time door to door less than the car, and cost much the same.

3 Remove wheel skewers, seat post, and use more than one lock, deflate at least one tyre, if possible take one wheel with you on the train. Use a cheap bike for commuting.

Phew...after all that I'd rather not bother!! Much prefer to have the barstewards locked up and out of harms way!!!

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113

1) Lock a lousy-looking bike thief up at every station and leave him there to rot with a sign round his neck saying "This is what we do to bike thieves".

2) Confiscate all their possesions and sell them to reimburse victims of crime.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Symchicken
    Symchicken Posts: 50
    Forget the g!ts who steal entire bikes. It's the eejits who have stolen three of my seats that really get to me! Why would you steal a seat???

Thank goodnes the latest one locks with an allen key.

Blindfold 'em, glue their hands to the handlebars, remove the brakes, send 'em down a steep hill overlooking a busy junction and leave 'em to it.

Boosh! Boosh! Stronger than a Moose!
  • Brock_71
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Symchicken</i>

Thank goodnes the latest one locks with an allen key.

That'll fox 'em!

• Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brock_71</i>

I hope your insurance certificate is of comfort as you walk home again Joe and I'm glad you accept petty crime as the norm, because it's attitudes like yours that cause it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yet another poster misunderstands the perfectly reasonable Mr Sacco.[:D][:D][:D]

But remember, it is my attitude that is the cause of crime. I used the word perspective earlier but didn't realise there were such drama queens as Brock around who needs more than just perspective.
  • Brock_71
    oooooh get you bitch!

I'm not engaging in discussion if you choose to misquote me for the cause of ill conceived sarcasm Joe Sucko.

• Joe Sacco

oooooh get you bitch!

I'm not engaging in discussion if you choose to misquote me for the cause of ill conceived sarcasm Joe Sucko.

Care to explain how I misquoted you exactly? Your whole line is there isn't it? Maybe you weren't thinking straight when you said it?
  • Brock_71
    You claimed gaily and with witless sarcasm: "remember, it is my attitude that is the cause of crime."
    <b>I</b> said it's attitudes <b>LIKE</b> yours that cause crime. Meaning the general acceptance of petty crime that you demonstrate so well is a major contributing factor to the prevalence of such antisocial behaviour.

• Joe Sacco

You claimed gaily and with witless sarcasm: "remember, it is my attitude that is the cause of crime."
    <b>I</b> said it's attitudes <b>LIKE</b> yours that cause crime. Meaning the general acceptance of petty crime that you demonstrate so well is a major contributing factor to the prevalence of such antisocial behaviour.

So I didn't misquote then, as an attitude like mine IS my attitude.

Again, perspective means that petty crime is not a big deal, hence the word petty! What are you going to do with petty criminals lock them all up or hang them?
  • Brock_71
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Again, perspective means that petty crime is not a big deal, hence the word petty! What are you going to do with petty criminals lock them all up or hang them?

Oh for god's sake.. Ignoring the semantic pedantry for the moment,
    petty crime is not a big deal if you look at a case individually, but surely the fact that just about every person on this board feels unable to leave their bike unlocked for ten minutes because we accept crime makes it a big problem?
    I've never been effected by 'serious' crime such as murder, or the probability of it happening to me, it doesn't worry me and I don't believe harsher penalties would make much difference to the number of cases. Every time I ride down the shops however, I have to modify my behaviour because of the chance of becoming victim to 'petty' criminality.
    Hanging them is probably a bit harsh, I'm pretty much against death penalties anyway, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a finger or two removed from anyone convicted of stealing though.
    Criminal punishment has to be a serious deterrent if the point of it is to reduce crime.

.... Attitude<b>S</b> like yours I said. Maybe that should've been 'such as yours' [:)]

• Joe Sacco

Oh for god's sake.. Ignoring the semantic pedantry for the moment,
    petty crime is not a big deal if you look at a case individually, but surely the fact that just about every person on this board feels unable to leave their bike unlocked for ten minutes because we accept crime makes it a big problem?
    I've never been effected by 'serious' crime such as murder, or the probability of it happening to me, it doesn't worry me and I don't believe harsher penalties would make much difference to the number of cases. Every time I ride down the shops however, I have to modify my behaviour because of the chance of becoming victim to 'petty' criminality.
    Hanging them is probably a bit harsh, I'm pretty much against death penalties anyway, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a finger or two removed from anyone convicted of stealing though.
    Criminal punishment has to be a serious deterrent if the point of it is to reduce crime.

.... Attitude<b>S</b> like yours I said. Maybe that should've been 'such as yours' [:)]

Still don't agree how an attitude causes peole to steal. I am not in a place where I can stop people stealing so it doesn't matter what my attitude is. When I am in that place then I do something about it, the kids around my way don't play up for long before a trip to their parents (and their parents sort themn out as they are always close to eviction!)
    I am just saying that bike theft is inevitable, it has always happened and always will, that is why we have insurance. You can either deal with that or live in some dream world where you think someone is going to come along and wipe out petty crime (by cutting off fingers by the sound of it)
  • evocp
    evocp Posts: 217

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clive Atton</i>

'I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?

What about the poor sods whose bikes possibly weren't insured and consequently had a large bill as well as the inconvenience of having their bikes thieved; this git chose to steal. Where would we be without bleeding-heart livberals to wind us up with inane comments.

A bit of perspective needed maybe, he was only stealing bikes!

If you're bike is that precious then insure it. You presumably insure your house (and contents?), cars etc,.?

do gooder butt wipes you are the reason this country sucks now

Ian
    Ian
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by evo</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clive Atton</i>

'I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?

What about the poor sods whose bikes possibly weren't insured and consequently had a large bill as well as the inconvenience of having their bikes thieved; this git chose to steal. Where would we be without bleeding-heart livberals to wind us up with inane comments.

A bit of perspective needed maybe, he was only stealing bikes!

If you're bike is that precious then insure it. You presumably insure your house (and contents?), cars etc,.?

Ian

Looking at the line you have just added I would say it is more down to people such as yourself...
  • Brock_71

Still don't agree how an attitude causes peole to steal. I am not in a place where I can stop people stealing so it doesn't matter what my attitude is.

You're not part of our democratic system then?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    I am just saying that bike theft is inevitable, it has always happened and always will, that is why we have insurance. You can either deal with that or live in some dream world where you think someone is going to come along and wipe out petty crime (by cutting off fingers by the sound of it)

So what exactly do you think should be the likely consequence of stealing someone's bicycle in our society? You're actually making me want to steal yours, it would be a victimless crime after all, because you've got insurance. :)

• Brock_71
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by evo</i>

Ian

Ineloquent perhaps, but basically true.
    [:D]

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    But in which language?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Joe Sacco

Still don't agree how an attitude causes peole to steal. I am not in a place where I can stop people stealing so it doesn't matter what my attitude is.

You're not part of our democratic system then?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

So what exactly do you think should be the likely consequence of stealing someone's bicycle in our society? You're actually making me want to steal yours, it would be a victimless crime after all, because you've got insurance. :)

Yes I am part of the democratic system, which by its nature means that whatever I would want to happen will not happen unless I stand for election. Which I am not prepared to put the effort into as I don't really care about bike theft, as you can tell!

I would suggest those caught for petty crimes do some council/charity work that wouldn't be done by anyone else. Cutting off their fingers may stop them from doing this.
  • Joe Sacco

Ian

Ineloquent perhaps, but basically true.
    [:D]

Oh yes, I am the reason it sucks. Just paying my thousands and thousands of pounds in tax contributions each year obviously won't be helping the country prosper.
    I don't feel it does suck though, which is why I stay here. If it sucks that bad then move to another country, free choice. I know of a few that treat criminals in the way you wish. They must be paradise...
  • Brock_71
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise what a vast contributer to the country's wealth you were.
    In that case I suppose you can afford to have however arrogant and selfish an attitude you wish, and are therefore perfectly right to berate the victim of the crime rather than the perpetrator.

• evocp
    evocp Posts: 217
    tell you what why not send the poor little criminal on a nice holiday to spain to think about what he has done.......

Ian
    Ian
  • Joe Sacco

Oh sorry, I didn't realise what a vast contributer to the country's wealth you were.
    In that case I suppose you can afford to have however arrogant and selfish an attitude you wish, and are therefore perfectly right to berate the victim of the crime rather than the perpetrator.

Well you realise now so that's a start. And what is arrogant and selfish about insuring things. Do you insure your house?
  • Joe Sacco

tell you what why not send the poor little criminal on a nice holiday to spain to think about what he has done.......

Ian

They would hate it, it is full of people like you.
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    Hold it right there folks. I must interject that I think you have ALL been robbed. None of the bikes I have seen on this thread have mudguards or lights or carriers. And you paid HOW MUCH for them.

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Brock_71
    You obviously haven't seen my battered old Claud Oldknees, so unattractive to villains I hardly need to worry anyway. [:)]

• J.Y.Kelly
    J.Y.Kelly Posts: 405
    Did he make his getaway on a bike by any chance?

gnu dung is spelt the same backwards.