Turbo Trainer

Demoncp
Demoncp Posts: 43
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Thinking about a Turbo Trainer for the winter but which one? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    Depends what you want it to do and how much you want to spend.

My lad has a Tacx Flow trainer which has a handlebar mount showing speed and power. It was œ200 from Decathlon.
  • planet x were doing a deal on the kurt kinetic road machine + tyre + power comp for about œ185.

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Good question. I've been thinking just the same. I've looked into the Tacx i-magic and fortius trainers. They're expensive (œ350+) but the software they come with looks like it would counter the boredom factor - I've also been recommended these by a cycling friend.
    I only have one bike so need to know how easy it is to attach the bike onto the trainer. Do I need to change the tyres? How long would I be looking at to get my bike on the trainer and ready to use?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by popette</i>

Good question. I've been thinking just the same. I've looked into the Tacx i-magic and fortius trainers. They're expensive (œ350+) but the software they come with looks like it would counter the boredom factor - I've also been recommended these by a cycling friend.
    I only have one bike so need to know how easy it is to attach the bike onto the trainer. Do I need to change the tyres? How long would I be looking at to get my bike on the trainer and ready to use?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've got a Tacx flow that has been upgraded into an iMagic - it's great.

Bike on trainer and ready to use in under a minute assuming you replace your rear wheel skewer with the Tacx trainer-specific one.

However, I'd recommend a proper trainer tyre (like the yellow Conti one) as the rate of wear on a normal road tyre can be huge. With only one bike I'd recommend having a 2nd cheap rear wheel ready to go with a cassette and trainer tyre. I recently bought a Shimano R500 rear wheel for œ32 from Parkers for this very purpose.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by popette</i>

You really need to get an old bike and have it permanently set up in your trainer otherwise you will not get round to using it. Also the inevitable sweat dripping on your bike does have a detrimental effect - there are always parts you miss when you wipe it down. Use any old tyre on the back.
  • Albionrider
    Albionrider Posts: 44
    Was also thinking of getting a turbo but have also concidered rollers. Never having used either what do folks prefer and what are the pros and cons of each.

Always Outnumbered, but Never Outgunned
  • Demoncp
    Demoncp Posts: 43
    Cheers guys, I'm looking for somthing to do interval training on twice a week in the evenings over the winter, I know nothing about trainers and interval training should only last about 30mins or until you puke. I've seen ones that the rear wheel sits in, and one that the forks lock into. I was thinking about the first type where you atatch the fear wheel to a little 'A' frame with roller and then there is a bowden cable that goes up to the bars i assume for resistance.
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Albionrider</i>

Was also thinking of getting a turbo but have also concidered rollers. Never having used either what do folks prefer and what are the pros and cons of each.

Riding rollers is much more difficult than riding a turbo, as you have to concentrate on actually staying on them. Having said that, they will smooth out your riding style. They are fine for warming up and recovery rides but if you want to do any serious speed work, you'd be better off on a turbo.
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Demon</i>
    I was thinking about the first type where you atatch the fear wheel to a little 'A' frame with roller and then there is a bowden cable that goes up to the bars i assume for resistance.
    For this I find my Minoura Hypermag-1200 does the job perfectly. The magnetic resistance is quieter than other types. The handlebar mounting resistance adjuster has 7 settings.
  • Albionrider
    Albionrider Posts: 44
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Riding rollers is much more difficult than riding a turbo, as you have to concentrate on actually staying on them. Having said that, they will smooth out your riding style. They are fine for warming up and recovery rides but if you want to do any serious speed work, you'd be better off on a turbo.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks looks like the turbo for me, just thought that rollers appear less boring to train on.

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Demon</i>

Thinking about a Turbo Trainer for the winter but which one? Any advice would be great.

Give us a break Demon, we're not even into summer yet!!!!

SNAPS
  • mabeleliza
    mabeleliza Posts: 17
    I bought a Tacx iMagic Fortius last winter and have to say it transformed my winter training. The Real Live Video is brilliant. It really does eliminate most of the boredom especially if you spend the extra and invest it some of the extra disks. Also 'catching up' others riders in front (although inevitable ass they part of the filming) helps to keep you pushing when you'd rather stop. Another great feature is having your previous efforts over the same course in real time on the indicator as you ride. Knowing that you're on course for being 2% faster than last time is a real motivator as is trying not to be slower!!
    Get one, you will not be disappointed. Agree about having a bike on it permanently though. I've got a 20 year old Roberts SLX / 8 sp Dura Ace on mine - not much use for anything else these days.
  • popette
    After being hail-stoned on this afternoon, we will definitely take the plunge and get the fortius trainer before Edinburgh bikes 20% off offer closes at the end of May. I'm getting a shopping list together based on your advice. We can't afford the extra bike at the moment but my husband will gladly donate his bike as long as he can get a significant upgrade at some point in the future. For the moment, we'll get the extra wheel, tyre etc as has been recommended. Will I get everything else that I need with the trainer package? Another question though - how noisy is it?
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    The Fortius is just about the priciest option - a big commitment. I bought the Flow and have used it enough to convince me the upgrade kit to the VR setup is worth it.

Get a mat as well - it will deaden the noise and catch the drips. You can also get a trainer "thong" to catch drops before they hit the bike and some have a pocket for the TV remote and your training plan printout. a fan is a good idea as well.

Mind you having gone to all this expense and trouble you might not like turbo training so do a bit of research first.........

Also stay off wooden floors and the noise isn't too bad. Definitely dedicate a tyre to the rear wheel of your turbo bike unless you dedicate a bike completely. Not only does ot wear it down fast it smooths it out to the point where it affects handling.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    I thought about a turbo for doing intervals in the winter but was advised against it as apparently your body wears out before the race season ends. Was told do do long slow rides over the winter (base miles) then in jan/feb start to do intervals.

Mind you i aint done any yet!!! Just advise from someone i know who does iron man and things. I have a minoura 500, was 80 quid and does the job.

I work hard because millions on benefits depend on me
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I was thinking about a rim drive trainer, less fuzz I hope, no need to change the wheel; are they any good?

I was looking at the Minoura 850

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • popette
    I did buy a pretty pricey indoor cross trainer a year or so ago. I used it perhaps four times a week for the first year but since buying my bike a couple of months ago, it's been gathering dust. There is nothing like getting out in the fresh air.
    I was really interested in the virtual reality features of the fortius because I think I would find training BOOOOORRRRING without it. Perhaps the cheaper (T-1900 I magic) would be a better option and then I could get some of the accessories (mat, thong!) without spending as much as the fortius. The fortius has a stronger motorised brake system but I'm not sure if there are any other differences.
  • Lefire
    Lefire Posts: 89
    I bought a Tacx Swing from Edinburgh Cycles a few weeks ago (in the 20% sale).
    Was planning on using it next winter and get a good price now.
    Have found myself on it about 3 times a week since.
    Have been using it to improve technique and such, in the spare time I have. Slightly easier to fit in rather than going out on the road.
    It helps me consentrate on the cycling rather than the traffic.
    Long rides out on the roads at the weekend should then become more enjoyable (and faster)
    Well, this is the plan anyway.
    I considered buying one for ages but am now glad I spent the money
  • Lefire
    Lefire Posts: 89
    I also use the wheel off my wifes bike but the gearing is slightly different. Is this a problem ? Will it cause any issues in the long run with changing the two wheels over ?
  • mabeleliza
    mabeleliza Posts: 17
    I'd recommend the iMagic with Fortius software which is much better value than the Fortius proper which has a motorised unit so you can freewheel downhill - Why would you want to do that, especially for œ200 extra??('[?]')
    Also get a fan - it will help keep you cool and you wont sweat onto your frame.
    Noise? Not much at all as long as you're on a mat or piece of carpet.
  • popette
    Sorry, I hijacked this thread a bit but thank you for all your replies, particularly about the i-magic. That is definitely the one I'm going for.
    Thanks again (did 29 miles tonight despite the forecasted rain. It was actually a lovely evening in cheshire).
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    PS: I just got a very cheap (œ32) Shimano R500 rear wheel from Parkers to use on my turbo and the conti trainer tyre was a breeze to fit. This was a very pleasant surprise as the conti is exceptionally tight - it was verging on impossible on my handbuilts with DRC rims.

Top marks for Shimano - I don't care what the wheel is like on the road, but it's a winner for a cheap turbo wheel.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • I bought a Fortius earlier this year and I think it is amazing not just the real life video but the catalyst training as well. I never dread going on the turbo now which I always used to. They are expensive but worth it if you struggle with motivation as you'll want to keep going on it.
  • popette
    Is Parkers an online shop?
  • popette
    ta for that link - it's much cheaper than some of the other shops i've been looking at. Bought the trainer today - woo hoo.
  • I've got a Tacx flow that has been upgraded into an iMagic - it's great.

How have you done this up-grade Neil? I have a 'Flow' and would be interested in doing the same.
    Thanks
    Jon

fat-boy tryin'
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nmcgann</i>

However, I'd recommend a proper trainer tyre (like the yellow Conti one) as the rate of wear on a normal road tyre can be huge. With only one bike I'd recommend having a 2nd cheap rear wheel ready to go with a cassette and trainer tyre. I recently bought a Shimano R500 rear wheel for œ32 from Parkers for this very purpose.

Neil
    That's how I've just justified upgrading my wheels to myself! [:)] Turbo's do seem to eat 'em up though, so a spare rear wheel with cassette and training tyre will pay for itself in a winter.

About the mats and bike-thong thingys, you're probably best off buying a 'yoga' mat or similar - I've seen some cycling specific mats costing up to about œ40-50, but imagine you can get similar ones for a fiver! Likewise, an old t-shirt draped over the top tube and bars should protect your bike from sweat...