Super Cav

Phil Scp
Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
edited May 2007 in Pro race
Stage 2 of the Tour of Catalonia - get in there!

Comments

• Nice one! Surely a TdF place beckons for him now??

Damn, was toying with him for my PTP pick but I thought the stage may prove a bit lumpy for him........shoulda gone with my first instinct!
  • There was an article in cycling weekly last week that said Hammond would get the TdF place ahead of Cav as T - Mobile want to groom him and not rush him into grand tours, although they did acknowledge his great talent.
  • I definitely think Mark Cavendish is fast enough to deserve a shot at the TDF, though pulling him out would be an option considering the damage to his career such a difficult event might do. It's great to see him ride so well, a Brit now winning weekly and monthly on the continent is good. The Tour of Catalonia has been a good one for British riders- Robert Millar won the Tour of Catalonia in 1985, beating Sean Kelly for the title.

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • Um...I'll happily take my PTP points but spoiler please. I know its not on the box, but still

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • I'd like to see him miss the tour this year. As Dave1 says, riding it at a tender age could have a damaging effect on his career. It is not often we get a Brit in with a chance of becomming a big hitter on the continent and it would be a shame if his talent was not properly nurtured.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

I'd like to see him miss the tour this year. As Dave1 says, riding it at a tender age could have a damaging effect on his career. It is not often we get a Brit in with a chance of becomming a big hitter on the continent and it would be a shame if his talent was not properly nurtured.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think Grand Tours are too much for most people under 23.
    Zulle was pulled out by ONCE as a 21 year old after leading the race after the Prologue and Stage 1 at San Sebastian 1992. That proved wise and again in 93 Armstrong was pulled out after a stage win around 10-12 days into the TDF and again in 1994, though I remember Yates criticised him for it. It's definitely too hard a race for some kinds of physique..think of Adrian Timmis, good 87 TDF but it burned him out totally and he's said so himself since.

• flattythehurdler
    flattythehurdler Posts: 2,314
    I had the privilege of a training spin with Steve Cummings a couple of weeks ago, and remarked that Cav had done well beating Robbie McEwan. Steve's opinion, which I presume reflects that of the peleton in general is that Cav is faster than Mcewan. The fastest man in the peleton apparently. Would love to see him beat McEwan in the tdef.

Dan
    Dan
  • Ah, too much pressure to suddenly be sending him to any Grand Tour now. Let's just appreciate the future victories that will surely come from him this season and wait as he gains experience etc.

tea is good
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cavendish wins again in stage 6. 5th win of the year... three away from McEwen's debut season.
  • DeanMoriarty
    DeanMoriarty Posts: 194
    Get him in there, dealing with the pressure early on gains him expeirence early on. Strike while the irons hot. Anyway its T-Mobile they'll always go with a german over anyone else... Rogers seems to have snook in though.
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    I think it would be a big mistake putting him in the Tour in his first season. He needs a couple of years under his belt. He should do the Tour of Switzerland before a Grand Tour.
  • I think Mark Cavendish should be allowed to ride the Tour De France but be pulled out after stage 10 much in the same way as Armstrong and Zulle were pulled out by their teams in 1992 and 1993 around stage 10 in order not damage themselves in their development. It's great to see Cavendish develop so well

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Well if the first week is flattish you could argue let him race until the big mountains, but then that would mean planning a GC strategy for the team leader based on having one less domestique than other teams for the Alps and Pyrennees in addition to the usual risk of losing people through crashes or sickness.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Cavendish is doing really well and I agree with Dave1 that letting him start the tour and then pull him after 10 days would be a good idea. However first of all he has to get rid of the black socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    I agree three weeks is too much too soon, but he's got great form now so why not have him ride the first week to see if he can pick up some stage wins?