How to decide and plan a ride

I'm trying to cycle longer distances but have trouble working out where to cycle. I'm really crap at map reading and when I try plotting out a route I end up getting lost and having to go really slowly to read road signs, which kind of defeats the purpose and takes away the enjoyment of it.

When you lot say you are off cycling 40/50 miles, how do you decide where to go? Do you do the same loop every time? Do you look up directions on the internet? Or is everyone just better at reading maps than me [:(]

Comments

• mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Everyone is just better at reading maps than you!

Seriously though if I plan on doing 50-60 miles I have a look at Tracklogs (just get a 1:50,000 Landranger if you don't have mapping software) and decide which direction to go in. Which direction is normally based on wind direction, I always try to go against the wind first so I get a tailwind on the way back.

Once direction is determined I just start plotting a route on the map following as many of the smallest roads I can find. Eventually the route will emerge and you get a feel for how far 50-60 miles is on a map. Once it's plotted I just print out the sheet(s) and put them in the back pocket.

The trick to following the route is to try and remember the places you need to go through and then just try and visualize the route as you go. If you take a wrong turning, don't worry about it, over 50-60 miles it ain't gonna make a lot of difference as long as you head towards the right place at the next turning. I do tend to know most of the local roads within a fair radius due to years of playing football and cricket so I guess that helps.

Some people have map holders on the bars to read the map as they go, some use a GPS and a lot, like me, just ride out in a general direction and find their way home later.

<font color="blue"><h5>Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}</h5></font id="blue">
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • piedwagtail91
    piedwagtail91 Posts: 781
    as above from mossy to plan it , but then i download it to gps to follow, though only usually with longer rides of 90+ miles. not much use to you yet but when you've been riding for a while you tend to collect lots of routes of varying lengths.i used to save them on the gps and then put them on tracklogs in case i wanted to do them again.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i havent started doing longer rides yet but i do plan on just going out in one direction and then working out how to get home after a certain distance via a slightly different route work out my way home

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    When you look at the map, try to preempt the next junction too. So that you say to yourself "OK - straight on here, then left after 3 miles, then there's a farm on the right". So you are only looking at small, memorable sections.

Once you can remember some routes, then try out extra loops. Eventually you will know where you are in your area, and be able to pick routes on the fly, so to speak.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I like to use memory map download it to a gps and try to memorise key points on a longer route. I also like to print out the map its good as a back up but its also sometimes usefull to be able to vary my route on the day.
    For shorter routes I just study the map beforehand, the first few times I do the route I carry the map as backup after I know it I dont bother. I also found what helps me is studying the map after I've done the route.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I plan my own runs all over the place, I read maps, find out where towns are situated, find out Road Numbers, I also check gradients etc with Memory Map....but before memory map I had a small penlike thing which had a roller at one side...all you had to do was input the mappaing scale then roll the pen over the map....I think I'm just so interested in routes etc that I really remember it all in my head....therefore I havent had any probs at all when cycling anywhere, and that includes continental adventures.

I'm from Scotland but know the Lake District/Dales/Moors very well...just because of the interest in designing routes...I think the web is great for learning areas aswell.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    I'm a bit of a map anorak and have recently become addicted to Bikely.
    I plotted a 50 mile route from my mother-in-laws house near Worthing to my brother-in-laws at Twickenham. I'd never ridden the route before and then on the day I rode it I lost the cue sheet within 5 miles of starting and I had no map with me. So the dilema was, do I turn back or go on? I decided to go on and to be honest I'd spent so long planning it that I knew it off by heart and it was a truely great ride.
    So my advice to you is have a look at the map, take it with you but don't worry if you go wrong it doesn't matter (unless you're trying to get to work on time!!). I've discovered some of the best routes by going wrong.

<i>You are never lost, just temporarily unsure of one's whereabouts.</i>
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    This is where the slightly dull 'out and back' route is useful. If I don't have a map with me, I often go part of the way along one of my usual routes then just turn off somewhere that looks interesting and follow the road until I'm ready to turn back for home.

The more often I do this the more I recognise place names and am able to put together more interesting loops.
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    I know most of the roads in Surrey so don't need a map for my rides.

Yours smugly

Naz

www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    The GPS solution is terrific if you don't like getting lost and don't like bothering with map reading on the go. That's what I use, but before that I would sometimes put a map on the handlebars in a see though map holder.
  • Get a GPS like the Garmin Etrex or Magellan equivalent. You can pre-plan your route, download it to GPS and bob's yer uncle.
  • paul_bhoy
    paul_bhoy Posts: 70
    I just head out the door and cycle, general idea where I'm going but there are days when I havent a clue where I am. Usually cycle out hour an half/two hours then head home, which usually takes a lot longer

The beer always wins
    The beer always wins
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I have about 4-5 loops which I know from local knowledge which I use most, only 2 I enjoy riding. Other days, just ride and follow your nose, I get lost a lot too, but thats half the fun.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">