Killer driver walks free

2»

Comments

• sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    Sorry, but she's got to go to jail for this.

The basic cause of the incident has nothing to do with shoes, it is that she was indulging in "let's see what it'll do" style driving, while in a busy 30mph zone. This indicates a complete lack of thought as to the possible consequences of her actions.

Jail should only be for people who pose a danger to the public - I think this meets that criteria amply. Sending poeple to jail for failing to pay fines is a waste of moeny and time - far better to get doing something constructuve in the community, but not appropriate when you are a killer.

As for the driving ban - useless, check out the court reports in any local paper to see how many people are caught for driving while banned, and the pitifully low penalties they get.

If you kill someone as a result of not abeying the law you should be jailed, end of argument.
  • The attempted suicide does indicate the driver herself does not feel adequately punished.
    Perhaps a few years in one of her majesty's compulsory hotels would help her own state of mind
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    I'm fascinated by the rubbish that's been written here.
    "Two previous bans" -- no. Two fixed-penalty notices.
    "Driving ban - useless" -- no. The suspended sentence means that if (as many do) she's caught driving while banned she'll go to jail.
    "Three strikes and she's out" -- no. That's not British law. She's convicted on the basis of one offence, not on her history.

It feels like there's an awful lot of manufactured outrage simply because the victim was a cyclist. If it had been a pedestrian, a horse-rider or another driver I'd have expected none of this stuff on this forum.

Having said that, yes, I think the sentence was too light. But then I'm not a lawyer so I'm not the best person to be commenting on the appropriateness of the sentence.
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    <i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

"Driving ban - useless" -- no. The suspended sentence means that if (as many do) she's caught driving while banned she'll go to jail.
    "Three strikes and she's out" -- no. That's not British law. She's convicted on the basis of one offence, not on her history.
    Eat my dust -- your mate "slapped someone about a bit"? That's called assault and he deserved his sentence.
    bobbyp -- you've overlooked the point that she's been proved not worthy of being allowed to drive and that privilege has been removed.

It feels like there's an awful lot of manufactured outrage simply because the victim was a cyclist. If it had been a pedestrian, a horse-rider or another driver I'd have expected none of this stuff on this forum.

Having said that, yes, I think the sentence was too light. But then I'm not a lawyer so I'm not the best person to be commenting on the appropriateness of the sentence. I'm also not revolted. A little surprised, disappointed, annoyed, but I reserve revulsion for other things.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It feels like there's an awful lot of manufactured outrage simply because the victim was a cyclist. If it had been a pedestrian, a horse-rider or another driver I'd have expected none of this stuff on this forum. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's a clue as to why that may well be true.

Check out what this site's actually called....
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

<b>It feels like there's an awful lot of manufactured outrage simply because the victim was a cyclist. If it had been a pedestrian, a horse-rider or another driver I'd have expected none of this stuff on this forum.</b>

Having said that, yes, I think the sentence was too light. But then I'm not a lawyer so I'm not the best person to be commenting on the appropriateness of the sentence.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For the most part, it is well justified, but you go to any horseriding site, and most car sites, and you will see exactly the same types of posts.
    One or two though seem to have a real detachment from reason.

I think the description you are looking for is 'impotent rage' [:D]

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • rothbook
    The same judge that let this killer driver go free sent someone else to prison for nicking mobiles.

I think if I were related to Debbie Riches, the cyclist who died, I'd feel pretty upset too.
  • bad company
    bad company Posts: 2,293
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

The same judge that let this killer driver go free sent someone else to prison for nicking mobiles.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I guess the thinking is that one crime showed intent and the death was clearly an accident albeit as a result of negligence.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

<i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

"Three strikes and she's out" -- no. That's not British law. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

who said that it was?

No, you're wrong. note the thread today about the lollipop man. It's just that cyclist killing is mentioned here more because this is a cycling forum, obviously. You'll find that cyclists, pedestrians and riders are all people.

• BoydJ
    BoydJ Posts: 33
    B-C - The tragically forseeable outcome of a deliberate breaking of the law is NOT an "accident".
  • Craggycp
    Craggycp Posts: 24
    I bet the man sent down for 5 years for the Selby train crash wish he had this judge on his case. Comments like:

"She was guilty of fault, not deliberate wickedness - the fault of serious negligence with terrible and disproportionate results."

seem applicable in his case too, but the sentencing was a bit different.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Withe regard to the idea of the anger on this thread coming out because it was a cyclist, I suggest that you look back at some of the threads regarding the death of pedestrians, Remember the outrage expressed here at the comment elsewhere about getting your mother to teach you to cross the road properly? No? Thought not.

With regard to the terrible consequences, here we have a major difference of opinion. Many of us here regard such behaviour as that of the idiot at Selby and this idiot woman as being the exact equivalent of running down a busy street wildly waving a sword. The difference is that death resulting from one is seen as a result of criminal lunacy, while as soon as a car gets involved it becomes "unfortunate".

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Not forgetting of course our little occasional visitor who thinks that some organisations are more deserving than others of having letter bombs sent to them. And he's from the kitten stroking site of love.

• jamesAC
    jamesAC Posts: 117
    Our local paper reported http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/content/newham/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsNEWHAM&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsnewham&itemid=WeED23%20May%202007%2016%3A35%3A24%3A973 this week.

I don't understand why such people are not banged up for years, and banned for life.

If I had a baby whelk, could I take it for a walk?

jamesAC
    Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Withe regard to the idea of the anger on this thread coming out because it was a cyclist, I suggest that you look back at some of the threads regarding the death of pedestrians, Remember the outrage expressed here at the comment elsewhere about getting your mother to teach you to cross the road properly? No? Thought not.

With regard to the terrible consequences, here we have a major difference of opinion. Many of us here regard such behaviour as that of the idiot at Selby and this idiot woman as being the exact equivalent of running down a busy street wildly waving a sword. The difference is that death resulting from one is seen as a result of criminal lunacy, while as soon as a car gets involved it becomes "unfortunate".

The crucial difference is that the purpose of a sword by design is as a weapon, whereas a car isn't meant to be used as a weapon.
    Therefore if someone's waving a sword wildly, it can only be because they have designs on causing death or injury, therefore obviously are a criminal lunatic. The desire to get from A to B does not carry the same implications of criminal lunacy*.

*<font size="1">It doesn't mean they're not, though...</font id="size1">
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Therefore if someone's waving a sword wildly, it can only
    be because they have designs on causing death or injury <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not at all, swords are often used ceremoniously- cossacks and sword dancing for instance.

If, however , someone acted stupidly reckllessly with a sword they'd get a harsher punishment than a driver who has done exactly the same thing!

Driving at 50 in a 30 zone means that anyone you hist is very likely to die, Hunter should have been convicted of mansalughter.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>
    Hunter should have been convicted of mansalughter.

Please explain how, with reference to the legal definition of manslaughter.
  • rothbook
    "Please explain how"

Idiot killers like Hunter will face manslaughter charges when the law changes.
  • natureboyz
    natureboyz Posts: 82
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

"Please explain how"

Idiot killers like Hunter will face manslaughter charges when the law changes.

When does the law change regarding the definition of manslaughter?
  • rothbook
    Plus, if Hunter had driven off after killing Ms Riches, she'd only have faced a magistrate's court. This is utterly wrong, some drivers leave people dying in the road and get a slapped wrist.
  • natureboyz
    natureboyz Posts: 82
    When does the law change regarding the definition of manslaughter?
    Please.
  • The Bosscp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Therefore if someone's waving a sword wildly, it can only
    be because they have designs on causing death or injury <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not at all, swords are often used ceremoniously- cossacks and sword dancing for instance.
    Codswallop, flower - and you know it. Javelin throwers in the olympics aren't intending to injure anybody, yet the <i>fundamental</i> purpose of the javelin, the reason why it was invented in the first place, is as a method of attack in war. Same as the sword. The fundamental reason for the invention of the wheel is to get from A to B.
    You can't nudge the argument out of my winning track by flouncing out some trumped-up diversion of cossacks.

If, however , someone acted stupidly reckllessly with a sword they'd get a harsher punishment than a driver who has done exactly the same thing!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    But if as you say swords are valid e.g. for cossacks, then why would the penalty be harsher?
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    Once again...this woman was unlucky. She took a risk that she'd taken before, and that others have taken a million times, but, on this occasion, she killed someone.

She should be sent to jail for being unlucky. It's that simple. Bad luck should be punished. It'll make the rest of us concentrate a bit on lowering the odds.
  • rothbook
    She didn't drive at nearly twice the limit accidently. It was no accident. Do you have a log in at crapspeed boss? Do me a favour and ask that strange man with the coloured-in graphs what his qualifications are? I've tried and he deleted the question and banned me. Must be shy.
  • rothbook
    Busted twice for speeding, and then driving an unfamiliar car at 50 in a 30
    zone is, to my mind, sufficient evidence. She's a sociopathic moron who
    thinks she can do as she likes. I don't see how a slap on the wrist is in
    any way commensurate. 50 isn't "a little bit over", it's *excessive* - doing
    that after two tellings is unacceptable.
  • The Bosscp

She didn't drive at nearly twice the limit accidently. It was no accident. Do you have a log in at crapspeed boss? Do me a favour and ask that strange man with the coloured-in graphs what his qualifications are? I've tried and he deleted the question and banned me. Must be shy.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree. She was an idiot.
    I was just disagreeing with the comparison with waving a sword about purely because of the difference in the purpose of the activity, if you're waving a sword about wildly while walking down the street you're not going to be in a cossack, if it's a cossack then it's more likely to be in a field or organised so they'll have cleared the street prior.
    From a danger aspect, yes they're both dangerous (not sure which is more dangerous) so I see why you make the analogy, but the fact that sword waving is a lot less likely to have innocent intentions just makes it seem a bit dramatised mate that's all.
  • The Bosscp
    Busted twice for speeding, and then driving an unfamiliar car at 50 in a 30
    zone is, to my mind, sufficient evidence. She's a sociopathic moron who
    thinks she can do as she likes. I don't see how a slap on the wrist is in
    any way commensurate. 50 isn't "a little bit over", it's *excessive* - doing
    that after two tellings is unacceptable.
    And the woman in the passenger seat probably didn't tell her to slow down because she wanted her to see the performance of the car, as she was trying to sell it to her...well for god's sake why do you even need high performance anyway, what actually is the point of being able to do 0-60 in 6 seconds with the amount of congestion that we've got in britain. Maybe on the continent, in italy say I can understand the want to have a sporty car, but in britain...