Great Notts Bike Ride

Anyone doing this on 24 June? Always a large turnout for the short and long circuits. I'm so down on mileage this year that I shall have a very slow 50 miler - any company welcome!

d.j.
"Like a true nature's child,
We were born,
Born to drink mild"

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Waiting to see it the child trailer arrives in time.....
  • That's a very kind offer...Ah, I see!

I might be able to keep up if you are towing!

d.j.
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Bump.

No one??

d.j.
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Last BUMP!

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
    "Better than The Angels have got your Harley."
  • Yep, me and the missus. We're aiming for about 5 hours for the 50 miles. Mrs C has managed to roll up at least œ200 sponsorship so far so she has to do it. It should be a bit of a laugh if a little slow for me.
    Have you done it before Dave? Is there enough car parking, and anywhere to change, I don't fancy driving from Leics in my bibs.

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).

• "Have you done it before Dave?"

Yes, 5 or 6 times I think, 50/50 the long and short routes!

"Is there enough car parking,"

Not driven to the start for years, but I think so - mind you it's in the fields beyond the main Water Sports Centre so if this weather keeps up might be a bit tricky!

" and anywhere to change,"

Not as far as I know - except the cars! Bit of a mass event for them to open up the water sports facilities.

I often pass the site - I'll have a look at the state of the "car park" later in the week.

d.j.
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Dave, we won't be there then (we'll miss it by only a few days when we do a grandma visit with the kids) but have a good laugh anyway. Last one we did was 2003 or 2004 for CP Sport and we had a great time. I'll definitely be there next year with a couple of the kids.

I never make such assumptions at my age - so I MIGHT be!!

Check back in 11 months time!

d.j.
  • Thanks Dave, Nos 3749 and 3750 if you spot us. looks like I'll be changing behind a beach towel then.

• Didn't know there are Numbers - never had them before! So I've just opened the envelope and apparently I am 3629. Lot of people...

I'll post what I'm riding when I've built/bought!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • Never mind the number, if the weather any thing like forecast, just look for the bike that looks a lot like a shell-suit (if you are unfortunate enough to remember those!). Doubt there'll be another Dynatech Diablo Titanium out! In fact, may not be another anywhere with a bit of luck.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/wasnti/dyna1.jpg

If its dry, then (If my mate and I finish it in time), watch for one of the last surviving Kona S (blank) X ONEs!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • Funky wheels Dave, at least I know what I'll be doing on Saturday afternoon - putting my mudguards back on.

• "Funky", that's quite a good word for it!

I rather suspect that there will be more than a few no shows if weather continues in recent form...

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"

PS Watch out for the usually pot-holed unmade private road just after leaving the Water Sports Centre. Slow and crowded at that point and will probably be a few amateur offs.
  • And if it's dry(ish):

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/wasnti/kos2.jpg

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    I've got my name down. Hope there is enough room on the train... and that it stays dry!

<font size="1">bike 1 bike 2</font id="size1">
  • Good turn out considering the weather!
    All very nice, despite a loss of pressure less than 2 miles from the start. Lucky I had some velcro to cut up and cover the inside of the hole in the front tyre otherwise I'd never have got round!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • Nice to meet you on the run Dave. I enjoyed the trip and would certainly do it again.

Mrs C is dead chuffed with herself for getting round, I'm impressed with the way she dropped the bike on the roundabout in Newark but got straight back on and continued - what a trooper. With her bruised leg and cut elbow she now considers herself a proper cyclist.

• Mutual, TVC! It's a nice event - 4,000 total according to today's local rag.

I think that a few years ago only a small proportion did the long route: seemed pretty busy again this year! Apparently one of fastest was a 45 y.o. chap in 3 hours and 5 minutes.

Glad Mrs C survived Newark: hope she's better soon and back next year.

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"