CO2 cartridges

messier0101
messier0101 Posts: 166
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Cheapest place to get them?

I just received my innovations air chuck sl....and it only came with one 16g cartridge.

Comments

• These people are cheap as chips, and prompt delivery too.

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/shop/

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    If there is a decathlon store near you they're not bad at œ1 each for the 12g cartridges. In case you don't want to order a large quantity.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• messier0101
    messier0101 Posts: 166
    thanks for the replies.

That site is CHEAP! Pack of 5 Threaded 16gm CO2 Cartridges œ5.43 inc P&P!
  • Mollie
    Mollie Posts: 90
    I looked and I make it œ16 for a box of 30 CO2 16gm threaded cartridges.
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I've never used these but might be tempted. How much inflation do you get? Is it one tyre per cartridge?

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    that site looks real cheap, interesting.

Only thing i dont like about CO2 is that you can never tell what PSI its taking your tyres to.

it says 16g cartridge pumps to 130PSI on a road bike, however my tyre only states 120PSI... how do i work taht one out?

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by webbhost</i>

that site looks real cheap, interesting.

Only thing i dont like about CO2 is that you can never tell what PSI its taking your tyres to.

it says 16g cartridge pumps to 130PSI on a road bike, however my tyre only states 120PSI... how do i work taht one out?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You can't tell your pressure when you use a hand pump on the road either, very few have a gauge. An extra 10psi is nothing to worry about, especially as you will lose a bit from the valve as you unscrew the connector anyway.

• webbhost
    !You can't tell your pressure when you use a hand pump on the road either, very few have a gauge. An extra 10psi is nothing to worry about, especially as you will lose a bit from the valve as you unscrew the connector anyway."

I have a hand pump with a gauge lol.. saying that i barely have the strength to pump the tyres to 90 PSI, i cant get it to 120!.

Might buy myself a box or 2

• dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Just buy a pump. Less shopping...

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • onurbike
    onurbike Posts: 287
    I bought some of these CO2 cartridges from tyreinflators. Their delivery was quick and the price, as yo see on the website, is cheap.

I am, however, very disappointed with the cartridges themselves as I couldn't get one proper inflation from one cartridge. Despite what is claimed that it would inflate two road tyres or one mountain tyre, the amount was not enough to get one 700x38 to inflate to a hard enough state and had to top up with a good old fashion pump.

the other thiing to note is that once you used a very little bit from a cartridge and you leave it for a week or two, it is gone!! totally empty.

I won't buy them more and hence reducing my carbon foot print by about 90%

Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
    Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    700x38 is a pretty massive tyre. Whenever i buy cartridges the packaging has stated the pressure that it will reach for a 700x23.

• simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

These people are cheap as chips, and prompt delivery too.

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/shop/

Nice find! Thanks.
  • webbhost
    "the other thiing to note is that once you used a very little bit from a cartridge and you leave it for a week or two, it is gone!! totally empty."

Does it? I got a CO2 kit from halfords.. and althrough opened, there was still gas in it 1 month later.

I suppose if i don't want to pump my tyre +10PSI over the limit... i could always just invest in a good set of decent tyres.. lol

Anyone know a shop that does good quality tyres?

• roger645
    roger645 Posts: 111
    If you use a cartridge and when you come back a week and it is empty it is probably the seal on your inflator and not the cartridge.

Current Steed: 98 Marin Rocky Ridge. Schwalbe Marathon slicks. Or. 02 Marin Tiburon
    Current Steed: 02 Marin Tiburon
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    with the inflators you control how much CO2 you dump in your tyre. you don't have to dump the whole cartridge in.

when i was out with someone recently the guy had a flat and we only had one canister, so we pumped up with a hand pump and then used a bit of the cartridge to get the tyre nice and hard. that way you save on your catridges a bit.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    <font face="Verdana">Just a thought which might not be worth anything, but I have always considered cycling as being eco-friendly with no exhaust pollution. But with the current focus on C02 emissions being a major contributor to global warming, I am beginning to wonder about the wisdom of using CO2 canisters.</font id="Verdana">
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Am I missing something here?! surely the C02 goes into the tube, alright it will eventually leak out, over a (hopefully) protracted period of time, presumably there is no exchange of gases into the atmosphere during the process, anyway the global warming theory is shot, and has more to do with how Governments can get more revunue out of the tax payer than saving the planet. The earth has been around for Billions? of years, man has only been industrialized since the 1700's - Abraham Derby et al, in that short space of time can man really have done so much harm? I don't think so. The River Thames used to freeze over regularly 200 years ago, no one banged on about global warming then, it's a conspiracy I tell 'ee!

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • Tony666
    OK, we;ll aviod the global warming myth/reality debate, but yes you are right in that most of the CO2 stays in the tube (or should do!)
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    It will not stay in the tube for ever. But where does the CO2 come from in the first place? Check that out.

Anyway, a very occasional 16 grams of CO2 is nothing compared to what you'd emit if you drove a car instead/more. Cyclists should not feel guilty for not being PERFECTLY green. We more than do "our bit".

Remember that CO2 is only used after puncturing out on the road. You'd be nuts to use it at home to top up routinely. Not just because of the expense, but because CO2 escapes more quickly from tubes than air does. It's heavier than air as well.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • webbhost
    " but because CO2 escapes more quickly from tubes than air does. It's heavier than air as well."

How come they dont just make air cylinders..?

• Tony666
    ok I'm convinced!
  • pbiggs
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by webbhost</i>
    How come they dont just make air cylinders..?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I don't think it can be compressed as much.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Mollie
    Mollie Posts: 90
    For us chemistry dolts (okay, me) just how much heavier is a tube filled with CO2 than a tube filled with air? Is it grammes heavier?
  • Has anyone ever tested one, and then measured the pressure?
  • pbiggs
    Yes, a 16 gram CO2 cartridge inflates a 700x23 tyre to <b>100 psi</b>.

If you want higher pressure still, you can either use an additional cartridge or put some air in first with a pump. It's a good idea to carry a small pump for backup anyway.

The weight difference compared to air is around 5 grams with one 700x23 tyre. Obviously this doesn't make any difference in practice, but it's a disadvantage in theory - to add to all the other disadvantages. The <i>ad</i>vantage is virtually instant and effortless inflation.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein Posts: 158
    when they make the cyclinders, the take the CO2 from the atmosphere, so there is no carbon footprint for the Co2 canisters
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    I'm sure I saw an ad for CO2 cartridges that said they were filled from a volcanic source. I did have a bit of a look round Mt Etna but didn't see a CO2 cartridge factory...

OK - I'll just have one more baby elephant...
  • digitaria
    digitaria Posts: 149
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

I'm sure I saw an ad for CO2 cartridges that said they were filled from a volcanic source. I did have a bit of a look round Mt Etna but didn't see a CO2 cartridge factory...

OK - I'll just have one more baby elephant...

Yep. <i>Genuine Innovations' CO2 is collected from a naturally occurring volcanic source in Europe (not collected from burning fossil fuels).</i>
  • pbiggs
    We can't claim using CO2 to inflate tyres is environmentally friendly because of the amount of manufacturing and transportation involved to make and obtain the products. That includes the steel containers as well as the gas contents, and getting them to the shops and to your home.

However, I think there's little to feel guilty about if you only occasionally use a CO2 cartridge and often use a bike instead of a car.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    Tony, did you know that you are emitting CO2 every time you breath out too! [:0][:0][:0]

Better hold your breath from now on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Herbalaire Vaporizer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol