carbon fibre or titanium road frame

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi,
because i have a chronic back problem i'm thinking of investing in a new road frame, what would be the most forgiving on my back, carbon or titanium.
Or do you think the extra cost couldn't be justified compared to an aluminium frame.
At the moment i have a GT ZR2.O, a Airborne Thunderbolt and a Regal Black Knight [never been built].
Any thoughts / input appreciated,
thanks, Alan

Comments

• currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    fit and geometry is more important than the material.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • lmrt
    lmrt Posts: 935
    Titanium is supposed to be more forgiving than carbon. As mentioned by CiaH however, proper fit is the most important concern. I presume you have had your back problem properly diagnosed? Rehab/maintenance exercises performed? No point in laying out cash on a frame if it may still aggravate your problem.

Good luck
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    What's more forgiving on your back?

I wouldn't say worrying about your back is an important issue when choosing a material for your frame, quite honestly.

As Adam says, fit and geometry is more important without a doubt.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • So if Fit and geometry is correct, does the frame material still become irrelevant?

If this was the case, surely we would all be riding the cheapest aluminium bikes available.

and eat more baby elephants, they are good for you [;)]
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No Steve it isn't irrelevant, but I would put the fit about which material to use.

Doesn't matter which material is finally decided upon, if the fit isn't correct and the bike doesn't fit you properly, no 'superior' material is going to make that better.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    i had a chronic bad back after long rides and invested in a "relaxed" geometry bike. the difference was amazing although not too aerodymamic. carbon bars and post will take some chatter out of the ride as will 25c tyres. i would invest in a proper bike fit first though, could save you œœœs

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ascurrell</i>

Hi,
    because i have a chronic back problem i'm thinking of investing in a new road frame, what would be the most forgiving on my back, carbon or titanium.
    Or do you think the extra cost couldn't be justified compared to an aluminium frame.
    At the moment i have a GT ZR2.O, a Airborne Thunderbolt and a Regal Black Knight [never been built].
    Any thoughts / input appreciated,
    thanks, Alan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Speaking as a very experienced "old git", fit is everything, then material. Titanium is my choice not least because of the custom option. You would be very hard pushed to find a custom option in carbon fibre for sensible money. I've just bought a custom Enigma Eulogy and it's fantasitic!! It fits me to perfection. Get a correct fitting when you buy your new bike is my advice and buy titanium.

Alfred, I'm great
    Alfred, I\'m great
  • Richard_P
    Richard_P Posts: 96
    I ride both Ti and carbon bikes, both with similar geometry. I find that the carbon bike is a smoother ride than the Ti, and both are a lot better than my old aluminium framed bike.
    Fit is very important, but so are contact points such are bars / stems and tyre sizes too.
    Go through the cheaper options first to see if problem can be resolved, and then go for the expensive options....you may be surprised what works best for you may not be the expensive option.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I've a ti bike on stiff wheels and big tyres and a steel/carbon (Lemond spine) bike on pretty stiff wheels and thin tyres. The steel/carbon is much easier on my back, but I think fit is the issue. I was noticing this weekend that my back is more arched on the carbon because of a longer reach, and this may mean that impacts just close my hip angle a bit, rather than put as much shock through the spine. Or it may just be a bit more flex in the stays.

Either way, it seems that between these two materials, it comes down to fit and design, so test riding is the only way to be sure.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you can find the correct fit in either material, then the Ti one will probably survive bumps and crashes and abuse better than carbon and will last longer.
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Many thanks for all the input, the chronic problem is spondylolysthesis.
    I would love to do some fitness cycling and want to give myself the best chance of not aggravating the problem [i've had it since i was 15, 31 years ago].
    I think i'm going to keep a look out for a titanium frame, then worry about contact points [probably carbon where possible].
    I must admit i think proper fit is important however this is a setup for the ideal riding position of a generally able bodied person which i'm not. I think going for a more relaxed and upright position could more crucial.
    Do the people who measure fit and geometry undestand such injuries and problem,
    again many thanks to all,
    Alan
  • As your based in Harwich you should go and see Burls http://www.burls.co.uk, he's in Parkeston, so very close.
    Whilst no frame builder is likely to be a qualified doctor I'm sure if you give Burls enough information he'll be quite happy to show you some options.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I have to disagree over fit being everything. I have only ridden a very short distance on a ti frame and cannot comment on the qualities of the material. However, I have both a alu and a carbon framed bike. Both fit me well. The carbon is in a different league on the comfort stakes. The alu is harsh, tells me of every bump and is generally far less comfortable than my silky smooth carbon frame. So, in my opinion frame material does matter, but I cannot comment on whether ti or carbon are better than each other.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I think by "fit" in this thread, people are extending it to include the ride dynamics of the bike. Maybe "physical suitability" might be better, but there's no doubt that ride quality comes from the dynamic geometry - so what shape it is and how it moves - which includes the fundamentals of the material, but is also heavily influenced by design.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Why not the best of both worlds? I have a titanium frame with a carbon monobox and that really smooths everything out nicely! Though I believe that Somec have reverted to a full Ti frame, there may be other manufacturers out there build a similar 'hybrid' frame?

One more turn of the wheels...just one!
  • Two sheds
    Two sheds Posts: 446
    C+ (the mag) has a Q&A each month with various experts (including a cycling doctor) answering just this sort of quetion. It might be worth asking him rather than have each of us giving contrary opinions.

Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • "I think going for a more relaxed and upright position could more crucial."

That surely is the key aspect. And I strongly suspect that most "fitting" services are even if only sub-consciously working from a racing bike premise.

As to material, I am of the view that per se it matters little. It is how the tubes are manipulated and joined and at what angles (or of course moulded if carbon). Steel, alu, ti at least can all be made to give quite different rides - although tyres and wheels will also have a significany impact (sic). Cost of course comes into the mix!

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
    "Better than The Angels have got your Harley."