Anyone in NW London

New To This
New To This Posts: 40
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
In training for the London Duathalon - new to cycling and looking for a training partner to share the thrills and spills with.

Anyone interested please post.

Jamie

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if i wasnt at uni id join you training even though im not doing the duathalon, need a bit more motivation. im a barnet boy you?

also the distances dont seem that far for the duathalon its a 6 mile run, 12 mile cycle and a 3 mile run, am i right?
  • New To This
    Edgware!

More than enough for my first one!!
  • spasypaddy
    well yeah i only got my road bike on thursday and i do 5km on a treadmill in just under 25mins. what sort of times you aiming for?
  • New To This
    My bike is still with the courier!

Hoping to do the run in an hour and then another hour for the rest
  • spasypaddy
    10km run - 1 hour?
    20km cycle and 5km - 1 hour?

few weeks of training should be able to achieve that
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    jamie,urrrrrrs here
    i am relatively new to cycling and so far have gone from 4 miles in 35 mins weighing in at 20st10lbs to 21 miles in 1hr 40 mins,19 st and 6lbs,(we wont mention my visit to the canons tandoori this evening[:p] dont ask me how !!! i am up in Borehamwood and have some quiet roads around here,give us an email/shout if interseted.not sure about the runing bit though!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • New To This
    No bike as yet!!!

Back from Holiday in about 10 days so I'll look for your posts then!!!

Great progress so far - keep it up
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    which part of edgware are you in ? lived there for 30 years !!!!!

have a good holiday ![8D]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • I'm in Watford and wouldn't mind someone to cycle with, especially for longer weekend rides.

I have a bike; she's called Fran. I enjoy her company.
    I have a bike; she\'s called Fran. I enjoy her company.
  • insomniboy
    insomniboy Posts: 30
    I'm in Manor House and always looking for something to distract me from whatever I should be doing...
    I\'m not doing laps, I\'m looking for the way out.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    I live in Barnet and always looking for other people to ride with. There are a couple of others who live nearby as well.

So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    Barnet too...

Hey Paulus... it's been a while.

Knackered? Me?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/ ... new005.jpg
    Knackered? Me?
  • spasypaddy
    barnet boys!!! maybe over the summer (ie when i get back from uni) we could do a barnet cycle. are there any good barnet cycling clubs that you can recommend?

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Im in edgware too!

Always up for a new riding buddy (as Im kinda lone cycling at the mo) ...know a couple of good routes into the countryside.

Amit
  • pauluscp
    Looks like we could have the start of a chain gang. I work quite a few weekends, but if anyone fancies a ride out one I have quite few routes starting from Barnet of varying distances from 10+ miles. you may have to take pot luck if I am working or not though.
  • spasypaddy
    yeah id be up for that paulus come the summer, what sort of distance and speeds do you cycle at?

• Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    Well, I'm out for ride Saturday if there's any takers...?

Knackered? Me?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/ ... new005.jpg
    Knackered? Me?
  • pauluscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

yeah id be up for that paulus come the summer, what sort of distance and speeds do you cycle at?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Iv'e got various routes from 10-50 miles. I don't go fast these days, but an average of about 15-20mph is about my limit.

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulus</i>
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

Iv'e got various routes from 10-50 miles. I don't go fast these days, but an average of about 15-20mph is about my limit.

Hi Paulus,

If you are averaging 20 mph over 50 miles and not describing that as fast in beginners I wouldn't want to try keeping up with you when you are really hammering it! [;)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Honda VF400F specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • pauluscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulus</i>

Hi Paulus,

If you are averaging 20 mph over 50 miles and not describing that as fast in beginners I wouldn't want to try keeping up with you when you are really hammering it! [;)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

I'm too old to hammer it now, but i can tour at the pace of the slowest rider should anyone want to come out for a ride.

• spasypaddy
    where in barnet you from its a big area... im from east barnet, near oak hill park. (well will be in the summer when ive finished uni). Went to school in high barnet and cant wait to get back to london where i can go on long rides as i know my way around!

• pauluscp
    I live near the Odeon cinema.

• spasypaddy
    ah so not far at all, over the summer we could do some sunday riding. my mate used to ride with a club that started from the odeon dont know whether they still do

• pauluscp
    There is a club that starts from the odeon, they are called London St. Christophers. I belong to them and ride out with them, but normally there is only two or three of us who turn up. I think the club is about to go belly up. Whenever you fancy a spin out contact me, my details are in my profile.

• jonathan r
    jonathan r Posts: 88
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by insomniboy</i>

I'm in Manor House and always looking for something to distract me from whatever I should be doing...

If your interested, there is a Sunday 9;30 ride starting from Crouch End, at the Two Wheels Good bike shop. Ranges from 40 - 60 miles.
  • spasypaddy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">London St. Christophers<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yeah thats who my mate rode with, its a shame if they go belly up cos my mate said they were sound lads and stuff. Oh well. Come the summer expect an email!

• insomniboy
    insomniboy Posts: 30
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonathan r</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by insomniboy</i>

If your interested, there is a Sunday 9;30 ride starting from Crouch End, at the Two Wheels Good bike shop. Ranges from 40 - 60 miles.

Brilliant, thanks :D
    I\'m not doing laps, I\'m looking for the way out.
  • plusgourmande
    plusgourmande Posts: 307
    nw9 here
  • pauluscp
    Ok then, I'm back from the C2C ride. Would anyone care to join me this coming tuesday evening, the 12th of june for a ride out. Meet me at Barnet church at 7.30. All welcome. 20-25 miles.

• spasypaddy
    i would love to but im having my stitches out of my knee on tuesday and then im probably 2 weeks away from fitness and a bit longer away from having a bike... (and being in london!)