Halfords Carrera bikes

124»

Comments

• dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    <i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

i think the current range of virtuosos are different from the one i have. mine came with sora/unbranded 12-25 cassette and 42-51 chainset and is 6061 heat treated aluminium frameset (forks inc), wheras current virtuoso has 7005 aluminium frame with steel forks and compact 50-34 chainset.

from a bit of googling heat treated 6061 is apparently lighter and less brittle than bog standard 7005, so on mine i think the budget went on the frameset, rather than the componentry, but the current version has better componentry on a cheaper frameset.

I have the same bike as this. When I bought it I had to take it back twice as they had not done up the BBB properly. Since then it has been fine with 5000+ miles on it. I think it is quite light for the price as I think but decent set of wheels would take it to around 20lbs without pedals etc. Next to no flex in the frame but would benefit from carbon forks. I have upgraded the saddle, pedals, tyres, stem and added bottle cages and computer. Paid œ249 with a free bike carrier for the car. Bought mostly on price as it was the cheapest Sti equipped bike I could find locally.
    I will be doing the British Cyclosportive on it next week!

Still thinking!
    Still thinking!
  • jwadham
    jwadham Posts: 14
    I've been reading through the posts and I have just bought a dirt cheap 2nd hand Carrera Virtuoso and was looking for some advice on upgrades as I'm hitting an instant knowledge block. I want to upgrade the front forks; can anyone suggest some good value carbon forks? Also I would like to change the chain set but am unsure if it's a simple job or should get the bike shop to do it. I really don't know what tools I'd need to remove the cartridge bottom bracket and then what bottom bracket i'd need! I was thinking of changing it to a Compact Tiagra double so I can eventually change the shifters to Tiagra also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Hi, I've been down this EXACT same route so hope this helps:

I bought the Red ('05?) Carrera Virtuoso back in July and have used it through the winter. I've upgraded the following:

Pedals (Toe clip things to SPD-SL 105s)
    Front Forks (all metal 1.2kg to carbon/alu steerer 600g)
    Seatpost (changed to a Carbon fibre one with CF collar)
    Saddle
    Bottom Bracket (old sqaure taper changed to a Shimano 105 Hollowtech II)
    Chainset (the 50-36 changed to a Tiagra 50-34 due to the need for a HTII to fit new BB)
    Bar Tape (old stuff cut off, new colour coded Red/Black stuff on)

I bought a relatively cheap yet comprehensive tool kit off ebay which allowed me to do all of this. All of it was very simple as their is a LOT of info on 'How To' on the net, Youtube is a particularly good source. To remove the BB, you'll need a crank extractor to get the crank arms off, a BB tool to remove the BB and then if you fit a HTII BB you'll need two other tools for that. Front forks come up on ebay all the time so keep your eye out, just be sure to get one that has a steerer tube which is the same length as your old one then it should be a one for one swap. Replacing the front fork is straightforward enough, just remember to remove the crown from the old fork and put it on the new one. If you need a new headset as well then I'd just take it to the LBS. PM me if you need anymore. Gav
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    As in almost everything - the Law of Diminishing Returns applies to bicycles, just as it does to Hi-Fi, cars clothing, whatever.

Of course, you'll be a much better rider on a +1K steed, wearing Rapha/Assos than on a Halfords special, in Aldi kit.

Won't you.

:wink:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    Bought my Carrera Gryphon 5 years ago to try to get some miles in when my son came along and the MTB was harder to get out on!

It came with flat bars and looked cool plus it only cost me £199 on a half price deal thingy.

Any way 2 years later it had sat in the garage and probably done all of a couple of hundered miles, then the bug bit so I put an ITM carbon fork on it and drop bars with sora shifters, the only thing it has had since is a headset, chain and some sora calipers.

It is my winter bike and has been brilliant, it has been out in lots of crap weather and salty roads this year and has held together brilliantly.

It is not as good as my Cayo by any stretch but for what it cost it doesn't owe me a bean!
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10