Etape - some (possibly) useful pieces of info...

TheTalkingTurboTrainer
edited June 2007 in Pro race
I've just come back from a week training on the course itself.

<i>Quick Shameless Plug:</i>

I stayed with Ian and Julie Wright at Pyrenees Multisport. I can thoroughly recommend them. If you want to go and train down there before the event or even just ride down there, definitely get in contact with them.

<i>End of Shameless Plug</i>

I thought some of you could be interested in some useful pieces of info about the course and other related points, so here are a couple:

- If you are wondering where else to get water from on the day aside from the feed stations and cafes then keep an eye out for graveyards. All graveyards have a tap just inside the entrance so you can fill up there. If you're dead tired you could lie down and stay a bit longer too! [;)]

- Most villages have water fountains or water pumps so you can use those as well. If you're desperate you could try the fast flowing rivers you ride along. The one at the bottom of the Port de Bales has a company bottling the stuff and selling it locally so it can't be too bad!

- I think the first climb is longer than publicised. The Etape website shows the summit at 27.5kms. My polar showed me I was at the Summit after 33.6kms and it showed I started climbing at the 17km mark. The official route may differ once published, but I don't think if could differ that much. Either way, mentally prepare yourself for a 16.6km climb, not an 11km one just in case. I was expecting 11 when I did it and was not pleased to learn it was more. Once you are out of the green bushes and trees on the climb and onto the switchbacks with bare ground either side, you are nearly at the top.

- The drag to the next col is pretty much all down hill and very fast. Hide in a group and let the peleton pull you along. I started going uphill at the 73.9km mark and the Summit was at the 104.7km mark. The real climbing starts when you get to the village of Audressein which is about 18 - 20kms before the summit. It's not a difficult climb with the exception of the last 6kms which you wil have to do after you go through the village of Portet-Aspet (there's a water pump on the right hand side in this village by the way). The descent is steep with big sections at 17% Casartelli's memorial is here too so look out for people braking to take photos etc.

- Col de Mente is a good steady climb and you can get into a good rhythm on it. It starts immediately at the base of the Col du Portet-Aspet so there's no rest. It's pretty gentle to begin with and even a section of downhill. The read climbing starts after here. The col is 11km long not the 7km Etape website. It's 7km from the downhill section so I guess they have taken their distance from there, not the actual start at the base of the Col de Portet-D'Aspet.

- The descent off the Mente is steep and fast. At the base there is a flattish ride to the next climb - Port de Bales which starts in the town of Mauleon-Barosse. The way the Etape route is expected to take will take you up another climb BEFORE you get onto the Port de Bales, so if you are climbing but havent gone through the town yet and haven't seen the Port de Bales 19km to the Summit sign, you're not on it! This short climb is about 4km long. It's not difficult but it's not welcome either.

- Port de Bales is 19km long and has a sign every 1km telling you have far to the summit and also the average gradient for the next km. Note, none of the other cols have this!! The others have one or two signs on them telling you how far to go but that's about it, Port de Bales is helpful this way as it reassures you that you are actually getting somewhere.

- I'm not ashamed to admit I didn't climb Co de Peyresourde. By this stage of the week I had ridden a shade under 500km and climbed well over 8,600 vertical metres. Most of this was in pouring rain, snow storms and hail storms. I was frozen to the core on this day and sick of being rained on. My HR was also 15bpm lower than what it should have been on the climbs so clearly I was tired. On the day though with fresh legs, it won't be a problem. What I can tell you about the Peyresourde though is that like Mente, you jump straight onto it after descending Port de Bales and it is 10km long. It's not a pretty climb as it's a main road. Towards the top you look out across a valley and you see where you still have to ride - it looks miles and could be disheartening. Don't panic though, because where it disappears off out of sight is the top and the home straight. After here it's all downhill. There is a little hill before Loudenville but its nothing much and with all the adrenaline in you knowing you'd finished, you'll do it in the big ring with a grin over your face [:D]

- My total climbing for the first four cols was 3,840 vertical metres. Others who did do Peyresourde ended up with total vertical metres of about 4,600 I believe?

This is what I think I'll be aiming for with regards to time to climb each col:

- Col de Port 16.6kms in 55 - 60mins
- Col de Portet-D'Aspet 55 - 60 mins from Audressein
- Col de Mente 11km in 50 - 55mins
- Port de Bales 19km in 90 - 100 mins
- Col de Peyresourde 10km in 45 mins

Those times are just my personal ones so take them with a grain of salt. Others will clearly be faster whilst others will be slower, I just thought it might be a good gauge for people.

I know that some people who were on the training week with me read this forum (Tim!?) so if you people have anything to add or clarify about what I've said, then please do.

Hope this is useful to some of you [:)]

Vive les All Blacks!!! [:D]

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    TTT,

Excellent info.

The official time schedule has now been added. See here:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2007/ETDT/p ... rcours.htm

Cheers, Rich

NB: The Col de Port now comes after 31.2k.

Foix - Loudenvielle
    <font face="Courier New">

...................................Section....Cumul...Section.....Cumul..Section
    ........................................Km.......Km......Time......Time......KPH

FOIX - Col de Port....................25.1.....25.1.....01:00.....01:00.....25.1
    Col de Port (1250m)....................6.1.....31.2.....00:52.....01:52......7.0
    Col de Port - Saint Girons............37.6.....68.8.....01:18.....03:10.....28.9
    Saint Girons - Audresseim.............15.5.....84.3.....00:42.....03:52.....22.1
    Audresseim - Portet d'Aspet...........15.6.....99.9.....00:52.....04:44.....18.0
    Col de Portet d'Aspet (1069m)..........2.5....102.4.....00:16.....05:00......9.4
    Portet d'Aspet - Couledoux Le Boutx....5.5....107.9.....00:11.....05:11.....30.0
    Col de Mente (1349m)...................9.9....117.8.....01:04.....06:15......9.3
    Col de Mente - Mauleon Barousse.......24.1....141.9.....01:15.....07:30.....19.3
    Col du Port de BalŠs (1755m)..........20.1....162.0.....02:25.....09:55......8.3
    Port de BalŠs - Saint Aventin.........17.7....179.7.....00:35.....10:30.....30.3
    Col de Peyresourde (1569m).............7.4....187.1.....00:31.....11:01.....14.3
    Peyresourde - LOUDENVIELLE............11.4....198.5.....00:19.....11:20.....36.0

TOTAL................................198.5..............11:20...............17.5
    </font id="Courier New">

Rich
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Etape2007.Blogspot.Com</font id="green"></font id="size1">
    Rich
  • timcla
    timcla Posts: 88
    Well done and well written Paul.I'll second the recommendation for Pyrenees Multisport. All I would add is all this years etapers don't underestimate the training and get riding hills hills hills. It will be quite tough whatever the weather decides. My start number is 2071, yippy. Good luck to all etapes.

'fitness is for life'
    fitness is for life
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I would realy love to ride the etape next year. How easy is it for a UK rider to get in?
  • kosta
    kosta Posts: 50
    Is the road up the first climb , Col de Port, quite narrow or wide enough, how steep ? There might be a bottleneck there as it is quite soon after the start. My starting number is 7000 +, unfortunately.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timcla</i>

Well done and well written Paul.I'll second the recommendation for Pyrenees Multisport. All I would add is all this years etapers don't underestimate the training and get riding hills hills hills. It will be quite tough whatever the weather decides. My start number is 2071, yippy. Good luck to all etapes.

'fitness is for life'
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lucky bugger! I'm 5080 ... I'll meet you in the cafe at the top of the Mente for a coke before continuing! [8D]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kosta</i>

Is the road up the first climb , Col de Port, quite narrow or wide enough, how steep ? There might be a bottleneck there as it is quite soon after the start. My starting number is 7000 +, unfortunately.

It's prob wide enough for two cars to just scrape past each other? But only just.

Yes, there will definitely be a bottleneck on this climb as its so soon after the start and there is no time or place for the peleton to break up. Hopefully it will be flowing nicely though and it will pull you up the hill. The hill isn't too steep. I think I climbed it at about 14kph?

e999sam, if you register with one of the tour companies that have Etape places and book as soon as it's announced it's pretty easy. Look at these websites:

http://www.frenchcyclingholidays.com/

http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/

• leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichA</i>

TTT,

Excellent info.

The official time schedule has now been added. See here:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2007/ETDT/p ... rcours.htm

Cheers, Rich

NB: The Col de Port now comes after 31.2k.

Foix - Loudenvielle
    <font face="Courier New">

...................................Section....Cumul...Section.....Cumul..Section
    ........................................Km.......Km......Time......Time......KPH

FOIX - Col de Port....................25.1.....25.1.....01:00.....01:00.....25.1
    Col de Port (1250m)....................6.1.....31.2.....00:52.....01:52......7.0
    Col de Port - Saint Girons............37.6.....68.8.....01:18.....03:10.....28.9
    Saint Girons - Audresseim.............15.5.....84.3.....00:42.....03:52.....22.1
    Audresseim - Portet d'Aspet...........15.6.....99.9.....00:52.....04:44.....18.0
    Col de Portet d'Aspet (1069m)..........2.5....102.4.....00:16.....05:00......9.4
    Portet d'Aspet - Couledoux Le Boutx....5.5....107.9.....00:11.....05:11.....30.0
    Col de Mente (1349m)...................9.9....117.8.....01:04.....06:15......9.3
    Col de Mente - Mauleon Barousse.......24.1....141.9.....01:15.....07:30.....19.3
    Col du Port de BalŠs (1755m)..........20.1....162.0.....02:25.....09:55......8.3
    Port de BalŠs - Saint Aventin.........17.7....179.7.....00:35.....10:30.....30.3
    Col de Peyresourde (1569m).............7.4....187.1.....00:31.....11:01.....14.3
    Peyresourde - LOUDENVIELLE............11.4....198.5.....00:19.....11:20.....36.0

TOTAL................................198.5..............11:20...............17.5
    </font id="Courier New">

Rich
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Etape2007.Blogspot.Com</font id="green"></font id="size1">

Is that an official breakdown of how fast they're expecting us to get round the various sections? If so, it seems a much more generous allowance on the climbs than last year in terms of average speed. Last year there seemed to be very little leeway on the overall average from the time car/broom wagon combination.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
  • richa
    No. I have summarised based on keeping in front of the broomwagon as the official breakdown has turn by turn (70!) detail.

See here:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2007/ETDT/p ... eraire.htm

Rich

Rich
    Rich
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Cheers Rich, it looks like they are expecting us to suffer then. There's a surprise.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichA</i>

No. I have summarised based on keeping in front of the broomwagon as the official breakdown has turn by turn (70!) detail.

See here:

Rich

Rich

Rich, are you sure you have your times right? The Etape website shows a start of 7am and a finish of 7pm i.e. 12 hours. Yours shows 11 hours 20 minutes.

Personally, I think I'll be well inside both times but wanted to clarify your numbers.

• Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    I suppose if you assume you start in the last group...you have an 40 minutes less.
  • Radsman
    btw, thanks for your comments especially about the descents. But still descenting with 6000+ others has me a little worried. Not necessarily from my errors but from others who may like to take risks.
  • richa
    TTT,

The times are based upon the speed of the broomwagon which will start at 7:40 after ther final rider has crossed the line and then go at the speeds indicated.

It will take 30-40 mins to get 8500 riders accross the line. If you are starting in the 5001-5500 pen then I expect it might be 7:20+ before you roll accross the start.

I am in the last pen (8000-8500). Gutted. Will probably roll accross the start at 7:39 with the broomwagons front bumper nudging my rear wheel.

Rich
    Rich
  • Radsman
    naive question, how does it work with the broomwagon, i saw someone write somewhere that they were passed by the broomwagon twice but still finished under time. But I always thought, if passed you had to stop, any Etappers experienced with the broomwagon etiquette?
  • stevie doc
    stevie doc Posts: 80
    i'm at the coos tail as well,starting among the final group[V]
  • stevie doc
    just curious,but how many miles are u bagging in a week as part of ur etape prep?
  • stevie doc
    i've only bagged 120 last week,seems like i better get my finger out[:D]
  • stevie doc
    where did u all get ur digs
  • Radsman
    Been working through the numbers here (if my math is correct) but the first elimination point (assuming leaving in the last group) works out to an average of 22.1 kmph. Which is defintely significantly below what I have ridden in very hilly sportive in Switzerland, where I averaged 26 kmph on a 1000 meter rising course (a few 300 meter climbs which is less than any here), very slow, but I was 10 lbs heavier and I was stuck on the small chainring as my shifter was screwed. problem is that after that, I didn't have to ride another 120km. Well should be challenging.
  • richa
    Yup. Overall 'elimination speed' is 17.5kph but it is front loaded:

Foix - Saint Girons > 68.8km in 3:10 @ 21.7 kph
    Saint Girons - Mauleon Barousse > 73.1km in 4:20 @ 16.9 kph
    Mauleon Barousse - Loudenvielle > 56.6km in 3:50 @ 14.8 kph

Rich
    Rich
  • Radsman
    We will probably be racing the broom wagon together, though I haven't got my number yet.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheTalkingTurboTrainer</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichA</i>

See here:

Rich

Rich

Rich, are you sure you have your times right? The Etape website shows a start of 7am and a finish of 7pm i.e. 12 hours. Yours shows 11 hours 20 minutes.

Personally, I think I'll be well inside both times but wanted to clarify your numbers.

The start time of 7am is the same as last years, however you have an extra hour to finish (7pm compared to 6pm last year). It is a slightly longer route but it looks like the minimum average speed required to finish is lower than last year
  • I live on the route between the col de Port and St Girons.
    IMHO getting from Foix to St Girons in 3h 10 shouldn't be a real stretch, plenty of groups to pick up time on the long gradual descent from Massat to St Girons, plus the start of the col de Port is not very narrow, it's a good two lane road with enough early ramps to start to spread people out before the harder climbing starts. The problems will be after St Girons. Don't underestimate the drag from St-Girons to the start of the portet d'Aspet climb at Audressien, this will take a lot of energy out of you if attacked too fast or not in the shelter of a good group.

BTW - if anyone fancies some training in the area, the weather is lovely at the moment.
    Check out [url][/url]www.ariege.com/aubergedelarac for my Auberge.
  • rjtwilson
    rjtwilson Posts: 6
    I was on the same trip as TTT and Tim (the smaller of the Lanternes Rouges, guys, or the one that didn't need rescuing from the Port de Bales....!), and can only echo their thoughts, including the "Quick Shameless plug" for Pyrenees Multisport - great hosts at excellent value, well worth a look if you just fancy a great week's cycling.
    I'm not going to repeat everything that TTT has already said, but there's a few other points I thought may be worth mentioning.
    Firstly, the quality of the road surfaces is quite variable. Of particular concern is the Port de Bales, mainly on the ascent side, lots of grit, which is a pain when the gradient gets above 10%, especially on the curves. When I got home, I ended up trying to dig out many small pieces of flint and assorted geology from tyres. The brake blocks had got the stuff embedded in them as well, and the rims were trashed. Admittedly, the weather had created a sort of "Fine flint soup" spray effect, but it may be worth considering puncture-resistance over rolling resistance when choosing your tyres.
    As a rider with a slightly "fuller figure" (ahem..) I also suffered a lot of wheel flex with my Bontrager RaceLight wheels on the steeper climbs, obviously not helped by the weakening rims. I have since got a pair of DuraAce clinchers, which seem definitley stiffer and more productive on the climbs.
    I'm certainly not in the same speed league as TTT or Tim, but aim to get round in 10-11 hours. Doing the route has made me feel a whole lot more confident. I did the Etape last year, scraped round, but the Izoard was the first hill I'd ever done outside of the UK - what a shock that was! I feel better prepared this time.
    Psychologically, I think it's best to split the route into 2 halves of virtually equal length, at the village of Portet D'Aspet. The first half has one significant climb with otherwise rolling countryside, the second half is almost all climbing or descending, with the only flat bit being a few km across the Garonne between Mente and Port de Bales, there's not much let-up. Consequently it's going to be busy for the almost all the first half of the race. This will be significant on the steep section of Col de Port, as the roads are narrow, a bit like going up a lane in the Yorkshire Dales, and the descent off the same could get quite congested and interesting as well!
    Having said all that, it's a beautiful route, and I'm really looking forward to going back and just doing my best in July. I'll be hammering the Yorkshire hills in the meantime, including the Etape du Dales this Sunday.
    Oh, TTT and Tim, I managed to lose 2kg on the trip and have knocked 20 mins off my 100km Wolds run, so it must have done me some good. Start number about 4300-ish. See you there, and take care. Thanks for a great week.
    Jonathan
  • TriPyrenees
    TriPyrenees Posts: 45
    I rode the full route yesterday (second time, first was last November). I felt alot better but still very tired.
    Hot sunshine start and the climb up the Port was great (lots of cows on top). There were 6 of us working hard along the gorge out of Massat. We rode the Aspet together and then I punctured on the descent. Mente was warm (so in July, read V Hot) and the descent was fast as usual (ridden 7 times in past 5 weeks). Now the rain had started and the Bales was tougher than ever. The grit and boulders are still there as they have not swept it since the snow has melted, BUT they are working on the road with alot of heavy machinery up there. The descent was in freezing rain and with no tights or booties my legs were cold. The Peyresoude went quite quickly but I had to squeeze gels in followed by coke to make it to the top. We reached the finish by 6pm - 10:30 with a ride time of 8:38. We did have quite a few coffee stops and a good lunch on top of the Mente. But I am happy with progress, specially after 400km during the week (this was the final big day of a training camp). I have two more full route rides to go in the coming few weeks so hope my legs hold out before July.
    Sejours Triathlon et Velo dans les Pyrenees
    www.pyreneesmultisport.com
  • Hi all you 'etapers', hope the training is going well!

I went round the course last Thursday and Friday with Ed Nicol from Bike and Ski Vercours. Thoroughly recommended, great guy, keen cyclist, excellent cycling knowledge, and knows the Alps and the Pyrenean cols - well he has cycled up most of them! Well worth visiting his website.

There are lots of good descriptions of the course. See above, C+, CW, the DVD etc etc

IMO this course is much harder than last year. There will be 'carnage' on the Bales, especially if it is hot. You need to be prepared mentally for a 90-100 minutes of relentless climbing on this Col. The sections over half way up are at 8-10% with some short stretches at 14%. The road is still being relaid, and the descent the road has subsided in places!

The other climbs are straight forward, but after the Bales the last climb will be torture.

I got round on a 50/34 12-27 rear block. This should be sufficient for most. If you have triple you will be using it alot!

My main message - be thoroughly prepared mentally to get round. On the Cols get in the zone, concentrate and stay there!

Good luck everyone.
  • I just rode the course from Mauleon-Barosse to the end, over the Port du Bales and the Peyresourde. 85 miles total (starting in St Lary - Soulon).

I found the Port du Bales hard, it goes to over 8% gradient for a long time and I think this is where the action will be happening on both the etape and the TdF. I rode the Tourmalet yesterday (and have done loads of other climbs in the last month) and this was up there in difficulty. There is lots of shade, but it's still hot lower down.

The Peyresourde is more like a 'normal' climb and you know it's the last.

There are water fountains in the first village as you join the road to the Peyresourde. There is also a great little creperie on top of the Peyresourde...I demolished six and recommend them. 40 cents each, or 12 for 4 euros.
  • Rode the full course yesterday in group of 2 riders (2nd time in 2 weeks) in 10:15 (ride time 9:45) ...as a guide, i am 44 and 85kg , have completed the last 3 Etapes all outside silver medal times (last year i did 8:22 on the Alpe D'Huez stage) . I consider this right up there with the toughest rides i have ever done and with 4,400m ascent its not a course for the larger cyclist.
    The first climb (Col de Port) only starts properly after Saurat (there is around 4km of gentle climb and descent before Saurat), lasts about 9km , rising about 550m, and is steeper early on , flattening out on the last 3km above the tree line with the most amazing views behind you looking back down the valley.
    A fast descent takes you to Massat and then a 1 or 2% gradual descent for 25km along the river gorge into St. Girons.
    The Portet D'Aspet proper is at the end of a long drag up the valley at easy gradients and only really lasts for 5km starting in St. Lary . It is steepest in the last 3km but nothing to worry too much about.
    Descend a steep section for 4km and you are at the turn off for the Mente very quickly and straight into the climbing. The first section is hot and quite steep for about 3km before a brief descent into Ger de Boutx and the main climb of 6km . The section after the small village starts very steep but then there is a series of hairpins for 4km where the gradient levels out to about 7-8% and then steepens again on the final drag throught the forest to the summit.
    The descent is very technical near the top with some really tight hairpins and then opens out nicely on the long run down to St. Beat. A chance to take on food follows on the 10km of flat until you begin the long approach to the Port de Bales
    The Port de Bales is now almost all resurfaced on the climb with heavy ,course grain, new black tar, but the descent is still being worked on . We had a great tail wind all the way from ther turn off after Salechan up the Bales , which made a huge difference and we'll hope for the same on the day itself. The key to this ride is obviously the Port de Bales and that is where a lot of riders will end up walking if its really hot. The road to Mauleon Barousse starts with a 2-3 km climb after Siradan at about 6% , but you are not yet on the Bales proper. Once over this and through Mauleon you start to see the Km countdown signs to the top of the col(first one is 19km) but the climbing doesnt really start until km 12 to go with about 2-3km of steep ramps just after you cross the bridge after Chalets St. Nere and turn up left up the forestry road . There is then a much needed 1.75 km of easier gradient (even flat at one point) starting shortly after the 8km to go sign. At the 6km to go it gradually starts to steepen again before hitting the steepest section (up to 16% in places , aveaging 10%) between 4.5 and 2.5 km to go . The last 2km of switchbacks are above the tree line and around 7% average with the last km a bit steeper. Be aware that the average gradient signs for the next km as shown on the km signs can sometimes be very misleading , one in particular i think the 8km to go sign is written a lot steeper than it actually is. We rode this climb in 1 hour 40 mins from the 19km to go sign.
    Once over Bales there is the tricky top part of the descent to negotiate with no barriers and a steep narrow road then a nice long run to the T-junction where you turn right straight onto an 8-9% lo section of the Peyresourde. At the junction there is 11km to go to the top with a nice respite after about 4km in the village of Cathervielle. The climb is manageable even with 180km in the legs , it took us 55 minutes from the junction to the top.
    I used a triple with a 28 on the back and was really glad to have that emergency gear on the steep ramps of the Bales after 1 hour 20 of climbing. I drank at leat 10 litres of water and Power Bar isotonic drink and ate like a king whenever i had the chance. Metres climbed were 4400, average HR 133, average speed including stops 19.6kmh ...had we started at 7am, this would have put us 2 hours 45 ahead of the elimination time at the finish. All in all, i think the cut off times are pretty generous and , given the right preparation and nutrition on the day , even those starting at the back should not have a problem with the broom wagon unless they are reduced to getting off and walking up the Bales.