Road bike....œ450 budget

Frazercp
Frazercp Posts: 27
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi guys, currently im riding a rather old road bike and since ive started to do more cycling, and am taking part in a duathlon in a few months time, ive decided to take the plunge and get my first new road bike (this was my dads old one-the frame really isnt the right size to be honest).

I have a maximum budget of œ500 but would ideally like to stay around œ400-œ450 mark, ive looked at the Giant SCR 3.0, which is œ450, and quite like the look of it, but seeing as you guys have a lot more knowledge than me i thought I would ask for some advice....cheers in advance!

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Have you seen this month's Cycling Plus magazine, which reviews the Giant along with the Specialized Allez, Trek 1000 and a Carrera model? I've got a Giant SCR 2 (same as SCR 3, but with Tiagra front shifters) and I wouldn't swap it.
  • Frazercp
    Frazercp Posts: 27
    No, i haven't seen this month's but i'll definitely give it a look now
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    The Trek Pilot is another that is quite popular at that price - it's a nice bike.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Also the Ribble winter trainer/Audax is currently at a silly price while stock lasts.
    SCR's a good allrounder, able to take a rack and guards if required for extra flexibility.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • inchcape
    inchcape Posts: 38
    You can get the Giant SCR 3.0 for œ350 at [url][/url]www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk they also do the SCR 2.0 for œ425.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    i asked the same question as you a few months ago and the best buy was said to be the continental revolution by edinburgh cycle company. they have a few shops around the north of England. I bought the bike and it's great...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 912m005659

can't compare it to any of the other bikes mentioned though...

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • If you MUST buy new, then the SCR 2 for 425 quid looks a very good buy (even by usual excellent Giant VFM standards).

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I can highly recommend the Trek Pilot 1.0, I love mine. OK I've not tried the others, but very happy with the Pilot.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I shall be going for a Trek 1000 or Pilot 1.0.

Depends how it feels on the turbo trainer....

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Frazer</i>

Hi guys, currently im riding a rather old road bike and since ive started to do more cycling, and am taking part in a duathlon in a few months time, ive decided to take the plunge and get my first new road bike (this was my dads old one-the frame really isnt the right size to be honest).

I have a maximum budget of œ500 but would ideally like to stay around œ400-œ450 mark, ive looked at the Giant SCR 3.0, which is œ450, and quite like the look of it, but seeing as you guys have a lot more knowledge than me i thought I would ask for some advice....cheers in advance!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Frazer,

I got a Giant SCR 2 3 weeks ago for œ420 from Tredz. I'm really pleased with it and would recommend it as a 'first' road bike. 27 sp Tiagra gives it the edge over SCR 3.

Ah, Frazer, check out my pics, this beauty is on the market! If you are interested mail me at <u>flintosaur9@aol.com</u>

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe the elephant was lost, for want an elephant the battle was lost. My Kingdom , my Kingdom, my Kingdom for...An elephant?

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • bredcp
    bredcp Posts: 1
    It says here: http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Giant.html that the SCR 2 has "compact geometry" - what does this mean in terms of sizing when comparing with other racing bikes? I generally fit a 54 cm (with 56 cm my crotch is veeery close to the top tube) but am considering the 55.5 cm Giant SCR 2 and the top tube seems to slope a bit so do you wreckon it will be a good fit?
  • Bred,

Check out the Tredz site for sizing:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/details.aspx?cgi ... %26cat%3D0

We have just confirmed our first order of Lamborghini bikes. They will be on sale shortly and we are proposing a promotion period for bike enthusiasts.

We'll be selling via EBay soon, deliver for mid July. I can send you the specifications via e-mail if you're interested. The Bikes are aluminium and naturally high specification. Aluminium is only a little heavier than carbon and doesn't shatter or split. Our bikes will be around 8 or 9 kg depending on the model. Carbon's are often 7.8 kg Our shop is called Let It Rip Big Boy!!!

I know what you must be thinking $$$!!! However Lambo' take a different view to bike manufacturing compared to cars. The bikes will be reasonably priced believe it or not!! In fact Lamborghini fully understand cost effective manufacturing systems and apply it to all their products. Of course there cars are so exclusive in quality even efficient manufacturing systems can't make them cheap!

Incidentally the bikes are branded Torino Lamborghini which is the separation between the Lamborghini family branding. The logo is the same bull.

I know this all sounds like a spoof, but time will prove we are serious. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you further details and proof of our rights to sell these puppies.

Take care and best of luck my friend!

Let it Rip!!
    Let it Rip!!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

i asked the same question as you a few months ago and the best buy was said to be the continental revolution by edinburgh cycle company. they have a few shops around the north of England. I bought the bike and it's great...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 912m005659

can't compare it to any of the other bikes mentioned though...

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My husband has the continental race and has been really happy with it. I was going to buy the same bike for myself but after trying the Giant SCR 3.0, I went for that one. I preferred the riding position on the Giant as I'm able to sit a bit more upright and therefore I'm more comfortable on it. I love my Giant [:)]