Cymru Gran Fondo

Signed up for this, not sure if it was sensible or not. How does it compare to the White Horse, or this years Dragon for that matter since i know the climbs on the Dragon. In my opinion, the dragon climbs will be a long slog rather than a "OMFG is THAT the road?" kind of climb which appeared in the last climb of the day yesterday. Whilst Wilts clearly is far from flat, neither is Snowdonia which has the potential to be far less flat, which is worrying.

<font size="1">What was real yesterday is not so today</font id="size1">

Comments

• dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    I did the 'normal' route last year, 111 miles on my computer, plenty of climbing but no ridiculous 'wall type gradients'.......unless........you do the Super Challenge whichs climbs the Bwylch-y-Groes right at the death - which it would be if I tried it.

He was an awfully big marine
  • I know about the Bwylch y groes, having been up it a few times by car as a kid, its a monster from the dinas mawddy side IIRC. I have no intention of trying to induce cardiac arrest trying that!

• mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    you going for the super challenge Steve? I'm doing the event as well and plan on doing it.

Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • No way! Gran fondo for me, I only want to see the Bwylch from the top or on a postcard. You've seen my times up the rhigos and bwylch-y-clawdd so you'll know why [;)]

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

I know about the Bwylch y groes, having been up it a few times by car as a kid, its a monster from the dinas mawddy side IIRC. I have no intention of trying to induce cardiac arrest trying that!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bwlch Y Groes gets climbed from the far easier lake Bala side on the Gran Fondo Cymru.....the Wild Wales Challenge this year does it the Real way from Dinas Mawddwy....I'm in the Wild Wales as I've alwys wanted to have a pop at Bwlch Y groes and compare it to other traumas I've encountered....
  • Did the GFCSC last year, involved 3400 genuine metres of climbing (some sportives exaggerate somewhat) and the last two climbs come when you have an option to avoid them, and your legs are shot.

I don't know, but I am guessing that half of the people who sign up for the Super end up doing the 'normal' distance instead, it's too easy give up by that stage.

White Horse (in response to the OP) was much, much easier.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Oh, now you're all trying to worry me even more that I had already managed on my own....!

I signed up for the Super, but I can see myself opting for the GF instead.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Mmmm. I don't like the look of the current weather forecast...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=Bala

wet, windy and cold[:(!]

Stupid me - I looked at the pictures of last year's event and imagined myself getting a suntan.
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    If that forecast is accurate I'm not so sad to have missed it due to carpal tunnel surgery.[:)]
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Well the forecast is looking better already. Gone are the snowflakes at least!

Probably best not to look at it again and just pack everything...
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    well, plan B looks increasingly attractive: 8 pints of Guinness night before and ride the short sporting course!!

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • JonSkids
    JonSkids Posts: 464
    Given the forecast it sounds a good plan B (or plan C if the SC was plan A). However don't dismiss the sporting course as an 8 pints of Guinness recovery ride. I know it's only 61km but it's a hard 61km.

Fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    but a hard 61Kms is not as hard as a hard 170....

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Lloydycp
    Lloydycp Posts: 184
    Bugger the weather... You don't leak do you??

www.davelloydcoaching.com
  • The sporting course is good if you like stopping to open gates!
  • SteveR_100Milers
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lloydy</i>

Bugger the weather... You don't leak do you??

www.davelloydcoaching.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No but the rain in Snowdonia hurts my head...[;)] I'm more peed off about getting my bike covered in cr*p yet again, its becoming somewhat irritating now after several races in the rain...and this of course isnt even a race[;)]

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I'm going to have to turn right this year and do the long one.

Paul
    Paul
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well the weather cannot be any worse than the Dartmoor Classic i did 2 weeks ago so I am up for this [:D]
    Anyone else staying in Bala on Sat night fancy meeting up for gentle ride early evening followed by a beer and food?
    Mail me or reply here, nothing worse than eating alone on a sat night[V] mind I did go to Italian in Torquay for the Dartmoor ride and there was a hen night on the table next to me so that livened it up a bit for me[:I]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • jimmoffatt
    jimmoffatt Posts: 57
    <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue"><font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Old Welshman

What time are you starting on Sunday and are you meeting up with others? Are you riding the 'Super' or the 'easy' 100 mile version? I am planning on riding the 100 mile because I have not fully recovered from the mid April Hillingdon crash (collapsed lung, broken ribs etc) and I would like to at least start off with a decent fastish group and see how I go.

I can't meet for a beer on Saturday because I am staying with my in-laws in Montgomery.

Jim
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I was supposed to be doing it, but accomodation was impossible to come by and the nearest train station is 30 miles away, so pretty much impossible for all but locals and car drivers really...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • oldwelshman
    Glad to see you back Jim [:D]
    I am doing the big one but have no idea when I am starting, not even sure if you can sign on night before? Website is a bit vague and I have not had anything through the post!!!
    Looks like another wet ride :-)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimmoffatt</i>

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue"><font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Old Welshman

What time are you starting on Sunday and are you meeting up with others? Are you riding the 'Super' or the 'easy' 100 mile version? I am planning on riding the 100 mile because I have not fully recovered from the mid April Hillingdon crash (collapsed lung, broken ribs etc) and I would like to at least start off with a decent fastish group and see how I go.

I can't meet for a beer on Saturday because I am staying with my in-laws in Montgomery.

Jim
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D]

• oldwelshman
    Just checked site, no list of entrants but it did say riders set off between 07:00 and 09:00 so I plan to have a quick breakfast in the morning then head off.
    Let me know what time you plan and I can meet up with you and ride whatever we can manage [:D]
    I did Dartmoor is dreadful rain for entire ride, did about 35 miles alone on moors !! I did 6 hours which was good for conditions, there were about 15 guys with faster times than mine.I am not sure how I will ride this ride yet, see how I feel but I have some races coming up so I may mix this ride and do some easy and some of it hard, will see [:D]
    You still have my number?

• jimmoffatt
    <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">David

Yes I have your number and will give you a call on Saturday. Weather forecast is not good but I don't think we will need waders as in the Dartmoor. Sounded awful.

I would like to have a go at the big one but, as well as still having problems with my broken ribs, lack of riding etc, my wife's family have organised a big lunch party and it will be an expensive trip to the divorce solicitors if I miss it completely[;)]

To try and get back at a sensible hour I was planning on starting at 7.30/8.00am.

I usually ride over the extended part of the route when I am up there. The climb from Bala is not that difficult and nowhere near as bad as the Bwlch y Groes from Dinas Mawddwy, although the very top is hard. The scenery is fantastic. The Hirnant Pass is very steep at the bottom (be a few walking!) but it then levels out and even drops a bit and then rises again to the cattle grid. You then fly down to Bala.

Jim
  • oldwelshman
    I used a 38/23 for dartmoor and with the cold and wet could have done with a lower gear at times so not sure weather to put on a 12-25 or 12-27. I think the steepest on dartmoor was 19% but this year I have ridden on 2 mile climb with 200m 25% after doing 95 miles, using 39/23 but boy was I close to getting off [:D]
    Might put on a 27 and just twiddle any hard bits but I am not sure if I will manage missing the bigger gears on the flat.

• jimmoffatt
    <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I have 39 x 26 on my training wheels and I use it on the bottom of Hirnant. I have usually done 60 lumpy miles by then on the ride I do but I would not want to be riding up the steep bit at the bottom of Hirnant with less after 115 hard miles[:0]

I would put the 27 on.

Jim
  • SteveR_100Milers
    David - I'm staying in Dolgellau on Sat night not bala, but why dont we all arrange to meet and set off in same group? We'll be at the start hopefully ready for an 8 am start, but am ok with waiting for others. The chappie I'm with is similar pace to you dave, so you 2 can pull the rest of us through the wind [;)]. There is a limit of 10 riders per group setting off to ease the flow of traffic etc, so we'll need to plan it a little bit.

• Heaney
    Heaney Posts: 85
    You can sign on between 13.00 and 18.00 on Saturday.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Jim, whats the max gradient of the bwylch for sunday's route? %ages are everything when you're a lardy..[:)]

• jimmoffatt
    <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Steve

I do not know the maximum percentage but see:-

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore2.aspx ... enti=False.

This site gives a difficulty rating so you can compare with others you know. Just be glad it is not going over from Dinas!

I would say about 15% in parts, possibly a bit steeper for a short section near the top but it is not too bad. It is 8km long and starts climbing almost as soon as you leave Lake Bala.

The bottom of Hirnant (just after leaving Lake Vyrnwy) is steeper, probably 20% and a real out of the saddle job. Lloydy described it in the comic and he rode it from Vyrnwy first over Hirnant (Foel y Geifr) and then over the Back of Bwylch.

http://www.davelloydcoaching.com/june-08-06.pdf

If you do the long version the extra bit is the Back of Bwylch first (from Llanuwchllyn) then down to Vyrnwy and over Hirnant down to the finish.

Jim
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    So, how'd it go then?

Or are you all still out there? [;)]

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum