Riding in the Northwest(or all of the UK)

Vancouverite
Vancouverite Posts: 49
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, I'm going to be moving to Liverpool in a few months and I'm an avid mountain biker. I enjoy Crosscountry and Downhill/Freeride riding.

What sort of Riding will I be able to find in the area? I have heard that Wales offers some great downhill/freeride but I figure that I will want to do my riding local as much as possible.

Any suggestions of areas to ride... Let me know.

Cycle me 'cross the Mersey
Cycle me \'cross the Mersey

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm from over the water to Liverpool - not much downhill to be ridden round here - a few flat paths on bike paths, but nothing too technical on the wirral unless you venture into the woods. Delamere Forest is good though.
  • bigbaz
    bigbaz Posts: 538
    Peak district,Lake district & North Wales are going to be your best areas to ride in.No decent MTBing around Liverpool itself....you should move to Manchester!!
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Hi, vancouverite... Saw your post in the locks thread about using a cable lock. Now, far be it from me to reinforce certain regional stereotypes, but if you are moving to Liverpool, you might want to look into D locks...

<Prepare for barrage of outrage from Liverpudlian formmers>. In my defence, I had a boyfriend from Liverpool for a while and he told more jokes about Scousers than I've heard from anyone else...[;)] And it's probably just as bad in any big city.

And, sadly I can't help with info, not being into that sort of riding. As I remember though, a lot of that whole estuary area is quite flat...?

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • North Wales is pretty near. Coed-y-Brenin is in a beautiful part of Wales and whilst I've never ridden its trails personally, friends speak very highly of it indeed. (Although I doubt it matches what the Pacific north-west has to offer!) Maps of the trails and much more here:

http://www.mbwales.com/coed_y_brenin/maps.htm

And yes, echoing Arch's comments... I lived in Liverpool once. Everyone got everything nicked.
  • Thanks for the help. Guys... I'll check out that MBWales site.

Bigbaz... Can't. Moving for University.

• a while ago i loved cycling to kitsilano beach when i was in vancouver.

you won't find anything to beat the rockies in bc, so come over and enjoy what we do best, the cheshire country lanes (on a road bike though).

and be sure to visit a proper british pub. trust me, the ones in downtown vancouver are nothing like the real thing (you'll find lots of those along aforementioned cheshire lanes).

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Road rider? There is a great mountain grunt in North Vancouver. The road that switchbacks up Mt. Seymour. I totally recommend it. Great exercise and a pretty fun ride as it is usually pretty popular.

I've never really tried a road bike before but I've done some pretty long rides on my cross-country bike. Would be interested in trying(but I'll stick to my MB gear as I don't want to be covered in lyrca).

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brixtonfixed</i>

North Wales is pretty near. Coed-y-Brenin is in a beautiful part of Wales and whilst I've never ridden its trails personally, friends speak very highly of it indeed. (Although I doubt it matches what the Pacific north-west has to offer!) Maps of the trails and much more here:

And yes, echoing Arch's comments... I lived in Liverpool once. Everyone got everything nicked.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nice one mate... Just checked that website? Only 84ish KM to there from Liverpool. Can easily make a day of riding that trail.

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Vancouverite.

Welcome to world of a big shock at small mountains. In the UK, a mountain is anything over 2000 feet. Or, in comparison with some of the the terrain in Canada, small bumps.

However, we do pack a lot into a small space, and there's plenty of mountain biking in the Northwest, whether in man made trail centres or along the paths and bridleways we have.

As mentioned, the obvious places to get to from Liverpool are:

1. North Wales (don't just restrict yourself to the trail centres);
    2. the Peak District - mainly the area between Manchester and Sheffield; and
    3. the Lake District.

If you want more info on mountain biking in the UK, google Singltrackworld. It's the website of a magazine which seems to have a disporportionate number of its readership based in the Northwest. You're bound to be able to hook up with a few people to go for rides through there.

Much as we might joke about the crime in Liverpool and the national stereotype of Liverpudlians, do watch out for your bike!

Tom (resident of Manchester - so I can hardly point the finger at Liverpool when it comes to crime).
  • The trough of bowland area is pretty damn good for cycling, not too sure about downhill round there but it is damn hilly and thats probably only about a 30/45 min car journey from Liverpool.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vancouverite</i>

You can't do that any more, it's been cleaned up [:D]

People I know spend a lot of time In Delamere Forest and Llandegla Forest
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • I'll be as vigilant as I can be for my bike. I'll just keep it in my flat and hope that it's protection enough. Thanks for the tip about Singltrackworld. My next question was... "How to meet up with other riders..."

I do plan on riding to North Wales doing a ride and riding back a few times. Make a good day out of it. Was looking at the pictures on their website and was a bit shocked at how 'level' the trails were. No need for a downhill bike at all which was my worry.

• TomF
    "was a bit shocked at how 'level' the trails were. No need for a downhill bike at all which was my worry."

Relatviely speaking, that's no doubt true. However, there is some very good riding in this country (just not the endless descents you get from real mountains).

STW's forum is pretty well populated - it boasts being the businest cycling website, or something like that. Anyway, sarcasm and sniping aside, it's a good way to indulge in a bit of bike (and plenty of non-bike) banter. People seem to meet up from there pretty regularly, and you will find that lots are based in the Northwest.
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    To get to North Wales from Liverpool you'll have to ride some fairly busy roads around Queensferry way. No big deal, lots of cyclists do but also look at the underground out to Bidston and then the train out from Bidston to Wrexham and get off at Buckley and cycle from there.

Alternatively get the train to Chester and from there to Bangor. From Bangor you can get to Betws-y-coed (20 miles, one pass) which has some mtn bike trails as well and is closer than Coed-y-Brenin. Once you get to know the area you can get off at Llanfairfechan and bike over the mountains into the Ogwen valley, though it's better the other way around and despite their smallish size it can be a serious proposition in bad weather best done with someone who knows the area.

If you're looking for something closer then as mentioned Delamere is about 20/30 miles from Liverpool, no downhills but quite a few messing about areas and the local area is very nice and has good road cycling and more than a couple of good pubs. Again you can get the train there from Chester or just cycle.

If you want some long downhills you have to get up here to Scotland. Fort William holds a world cup event http://www.fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk/

http://www.polestar-group.com/fcc/bus/t ... ERVICE.pdf
    http://www.merseyrail.org

Liverpool is a great city to be a student in. Like all cities it has some good and bad areas.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    hello vancouverite,

i might need some of your local knowledge. we're going to a wedding at williams lake in sept and want to fit in all sorts of things in two and a bit weeks. cycling (comma) and kayaking with orcas being the two i'm most interested in.

we'd be over at vancouver island for the whales i guess. what's the cycling like over there?
  • Depends on where you are on Vancouver Island. Between Victoria and Nanaimo is probably my favourite mountain in Canada (Mt. Tzuhalem). It drains very well so it's a good ride even after rains, a long grunt up to the top of the mountain and then it has black level trails all the way down to where you park.

Someone keeps removing the trail signs(****ers) so I don't know if they will be marked but up the top of the mountain you can head either right or left. Head to your right, enjoy the view, eat a power bar, and then enjoy some of my favourite trails. ;)

There is also the Hartland Dump in Victoria which is good riding. If you are technically skilled taking the double track up to and through "Switchbacks" is a hard climb but the payoff is "Who's your daddy?" which is my favourite trail in there. There is a map at the technical area in the Dump.

I'd hook you up with websites, except, I don't know where they are... I have family on the Island and they showed me all around the riding over there.

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If you go to Delamere Forest, just remember that there's lots of walkers with dogs and children.
  • Izembard
    Izembard Posts: 42
    Vancourverite

Please don't be put off Liverpool by the negative press your getting. Liverpool is a vibrant city with a massive amount of inward investment, in general its people are friendly helpful and humourous. As long as you are sensible with your kit you will be fine.
    I was brought up in Liverpool and I work there. I actually live in Ormskirk now which is about 15 miles north (that's a lot in England). The city is not a great place to cycle for pleasure so take the sound advice re the trains which are very cycle friendly.
    You must however get a road bike and try the Lancashire lanes. Their are some fantastic routes around Aughton, Bickerstaff, Rainford, their's a big climb at Ashhurst beacon, Bispham, Rufford, Scarisbrick and Halsall to name a few. You will be able to get the train from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk for a couple of quid. Further afield you've got as previously mentioned the Trough of Bowland and the lakes and obviously North Wales.
  • I've been to the city a few times and really like it. Wasn't going to sign on for a few years in a place I didn't enjoy. ;)

Just was clueless about the riding/LBS'.

• TomF
    "If you go to Delamere Forest, just remember that there's lots of walkers with dogs and children."

There is also a lot of singletrack hidden in the trees.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Another place to go is over on the Wirral, again you'll need to get a train, or you could get the ferry across the river. You can ride along the riverbank all the way from Seacombe to West Kirby (if you get the train the you'll need to get off at Hamilton Squre and ride across the Four Bridges to Seacome), and then there's a few country lanes on the Wirral. There's the Wirral Country Park path which runs from West Kirby all the way to Hooton, it runs along a disused railway. It runs along the River Dee so you get nice views of the Welsh montains, it also runs through some nices places such as Heswall, Neston and Willaston.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    If you fancy riding out and back from Liverpool the Moel Famau (pronounced, mole vam-eye) area of North Wales has some great mountain biking available and only about 30 miles from the centre of Liverpool. Head for a small village called Cilcain and start from there. There used to be an unofficial, purpose built, downhill route in one of the forests in the area but I think it's been closed. Even so, there's loads of bridleways to explore along with fire roads and some killer climbs/descents. There's an awesome descent from near the summit of Moel Famau (1800 ft) to just above a hamlet called Llangynhafal. It's well over a thousand feet of descent in a short distance. Anyone who could ride up that would earn my respect, I consider it unrideable and riding uphill is my thing. Great choice of city BTW, ignore the silly scouse stereotype, most Liverpudlians are open and friendly. Good luck.
  • gary b
    gary b Posts: 110
    yo vancouverite, meet up in town for a coffee and i will tell you where it is at in cycling in the area,
    local scouse knowledge goes a long way.
    trains will be off a lot over next 5 weeks, delamere has a monday night ride, its 20 mile away.
    What you riding ?
    Right now i,m fettlin a red pace rc 200 for the mac enduro. see you soon dude on the singletrack side.
    ta
    pace
    south liverpool

the revolution will not be motorised.....
    the revolution will not be motorised.....
  • Thanks for all your help guys. :D

• Just a bump.

• Did you get out to any of the places mentioned? I saw your thread on WMB and wondered how you got on? I'm in Warrington about 20 miles from Liverpool, tend to do most riding in the N. Wales area.
    Coed y Brenin, Marin Trail and Penmachno are my faves but Coed Llandegla's a good ride. BUT IMO a bit too man made, I prefer the more natural feel of the other trail centers. Rivington pikes got some nice trails around it and a fantastic view over the Cheshire plain, well when the weathers good anyway!
    Might be worth you checking the WMB board, look out for the NW/ Cheshire lot in the riding section. We have only just started to get anything going around here- we had a trip to Delamere and Rivi pike so far, hopefully it'll get bigger......

My roadie

My pics
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vancouverite</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brixtonfixed</i>

North Wales is pretty near. Coed-y-Brenin is in a beautiful part of Wales and whilst I've never ridden its trails personally, friends speak very highly of it indeed. (Although I doubt it matches what the Pacific north-west has to offer!) Maps of the trails and much more here:

Nice one mate... Just checked that website? Only 84ish KM to there from Liverpool. Can easily make a day of riding that trail.

Eerm, a bit hopefult that CyB is only 84km from liverpool, I live about midway between Liverpool & Manchester, and despite being on top of the motorway network, it usually is a 2-21/2 hour drive for me to get to CyB. Now Gwyder Forest (Marin Trail) is a lot easier to get to ans (IMHO) a better ride.

I'd also heartily reccomend the use of a good lock, as I would anywhere in the UK, so look at a Sold Secure Gold lock, no lightweights in these, but essential, even if just to meet the terms of any insurance you have.

You may also want to look at www.thewoollybacks.co.uk, who are quite a decent MTB club based in St helens, but with riders from all over the area. good bunch of guys (I used to be one) and once you get past the incessant p*ss taking, and learn to give as much as you get, they make good mates.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">