Giro 2024:- Stage 7: Foligno – Perugia, 40.6km (ITT)​ ***Spoilers**

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,954

Stage 7: Foligno – Perugia, 40.6km (ITT)

Individual time trial clearly divided into two parts. The first 32 km, flat and largely non-technical, lead to the foot of Umbria’s capital city of Perugia. The riders then tackle the ascent of Casaglia, with gradients up to 16%. The road climbs in fits and starts all the way to the finish line. They course features an elevation gain of 380 metres. There are two intermediate time checks – at – kilometre 17.2 and at kilometre 30.7.

Foligno hosted two sprint finishes on the Giro in the last decade. Nacer Bouhanni took the spoils in 2014, while Peter Sagan bested Fernando in 2021.

climb detail

final kilometres

The last few kilometres are all uphill with gradients reaching double figures. Several bends and counter-slopes before the wide final hairpin bends leading to the final straight. To be noted at 6.4 km from the finish line the 1300 m of Casaglia at almost 12% with peaks of 16%. Final straight of 250 m on a 6 m wide cobbled road.

Foligno

Overview

Foligno, located in the centre of Umbria and Italy, is also traditionally referred to as the Centre of the World. A hub of important road and rail communication routes, the town is crossed by the Topino river. The territory is vast and features small villages scattered on the surrounding hills and on the overlooking plain. Visitors who come to Foligno can enjoy the warm hospitality of its inhabitants, the excellent cuisine, the typical atmosphere of the alleys leading into large squares, the historical and architectural monuments, and the numerous noble palaces dotting its historical centre, so much so that Foligno is also known as the “City of Palaces”. In June and September, visitors can watch the Giostra della Quintana, an equestrian challenge between the city’s districts competing for the palio, and the Historical Procession in sumptuous 17th-century clothing.

Speciality food

Foligno’s agricultural produce retains its exquisite authenticity, such as Cave beans, ‘Gobbi’ (cardoons), heart tomatoes and the particular fragrance and scent of local extra virgin olive oil obtained from the moraiolo variety typical of this area.

Multi-flower honey is also produced here from the nectar of several botanical species: sunflower, chestnut, acacia, etc.

Foligno’s signature dishes are: Strangozzi with truffle, Tagliatelle and gnocchi with mutton, Pigeon Foligno style, Trout from Menotre in porchetta, Cheese pizza with salami, Lentils and red potatoes from Colfiorito.

A delight for the palate and a local speciality is the Rocciata, a typical pastry from Foligno, consisting of a thin sheet of dough made from wheat flour that envelops a mixture of walnuts, sugar, olive oil and apples, to which other ingredients such as alkermes, cocoa, sultanas, dried figs, cinnamon and pine nuts can be added according to the confectioners’ taste or imagination.

Crescionda

Crescionda is a traditional Italian cake originating from Spoleto in Central Italy. This chocolate cake is enriched with amaretti biscuits and aniseed liqueur. It's usually made with a combination of eggs, sugar, flour, lemon zest, milk, Sambuca, dark chocolate, amaretti biscuits, salt, and icing sugar for dusting.

Perugia

Perugia is a city rich in history and culture, with several fascinating places to explore. It’s known for its defensive walls around the historic center. The medieval Priori Palace exhibits regional art from the 13th century onward. Looking onto Piazza IV Novembre, the Gothic cathedral houses Renaissance paintings and frescoes. In the square's center, Fontana Maggiore is a marble fountain with carvings of biblical scenes and zodiac signs.

Speciality food

The Torcolo di San Costanzo is a typical doughnut-shaped cake from Perugia, which is prepared for the feast day of Saint Costanzo, one of the city’s patron saints, whose martyrdom is commemorated on 29 January. In the 16th century, on the saint’s feast day, wealthy congregations bought large quantities of Torcolo to be distributed to the poor.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,468

If you were in the region you'd pretty much be obliged to take a quick 10km trip SW of today's start town to get a photo in this village

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles

Does Damiano Cunego live there?

If he does, Gilberto Simoni says hello.😇

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,616

Fistfull of travellers checks

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

I'm sorry that head cone fairing has to go

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Spectator interference with Ganna ?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,193

Ganna has looked a bit dodgy on some of the corners. Not sure if is taking them too fast, the bike setup isn’t quite right or I’m imagining it. He’s still caught his 2 minute man in 12 minutes of riding though

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,468
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,185

Ganna absolutely annihilating everyone so far. 1:39 faster than Bjerg. 52:01 the new time to beat for the stage win.

• Pross

That’s a scary ride by Ganna. 1:38 faster than the previous best.

• Pross

Fair to say he gave that everything

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,016

I know some aren't great at TT's but Ganna caught Mezgec who stated 9 minutes before him!

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271

The way he flew past that part-timer as he started the climb was ridiculous!

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271

Seeing how close some others are getting now, I don't see Ganna winning this. Think the climb was just too much.

• blazing_saddles

Geraint needs to get a wriggle on….

• Pross

Pog only 4" quicker than Thomas though.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,217

Pog +44s

G +52s

• blazing_saddles

Mmmm, Pogacar also down.

Has to be the wind change.

• Pross

He's only got 3 (I think) within a minute of him!

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 706

Podium lockout by Ineos without G?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • r0bh

Thomas +1:27 at the second split

• Pross

It's annoying when they start the comparison clock so far from the checkpoint. Thomas 1:27 down on Ganna. Arensman could be a big beneficiary today.

• r0bh

Pog a lot quicker than G

+47s

• blazing_saddles

Going to be a minute or more by the finish.

• Pross

TBF Thomas is really racing everyone else as mentioned before.

• Pross
    edited May 10

Thomas could lose 2nd place on GC here, Martinez with a very good climb.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,185

Pogacar is the only rider who is going to get close.

• Pross

Pog still in stage contention too

• Pross

Not a great ride by Thomas, I reckon the gear choice was poor.

• r0bh

Think Thomas might be a bit disappointed by that