Giro 2024:- Stage 3: Novara – Fossano, 166.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,912

Stage 3: Novara – Fossano, 166.0km

May 6th

Start Time: 12-25BST

The 3rd stage of the Giro d'Italia is predominantly flat, but the finale holds a surprise up its sleeve. An uphill of 1.6 kilometres at 5.3% is positioned 3 kilometres from the finish. The last 3 km are virtually straight with only one sharp bend at 1300 m to go. The final straight of 1300 m is on a 9 m wide asphalt road.The route of this year’s 3rd stage is tailor-made for the fast men.

map

final kilometres

Novara

Novara is a city rich in tradition, history, and artistic masterpieces. It was built up little by little, in a succession of stratifications and influences which have shaped it into a lively cultural centre, an ideal stop for a visit throughout the year. The true soul of the city shines bright in its historic centre, which revolves around the imposing structure of the Basilica of San Gaudenzio.

Speciality food

Surrounded by rice paddies, Novara’s traditional dish can only be rice-based: Paniscia, as a matter of fact, is a risotto with beans, cabbage and salame della duja (a salami preserved in fat) as well as pretty much anything that the vegetable garden offers at any time of the year.

Gorgonzola cheese, in both its sweet and spicy versions, is a constant element on Novara’s tables; the city is in fact the seat of its Protection Consortium and the bulk of production is concentrated in the area.

Fossano

Fossano is immediately recognisable by the majestic Castle of the Princes of Acaja. The town, founded in 1236, boasts a first-class historic centre, with nooks, alleys and churches reminiscent of medieval and baroque atmospheres. A direct link between the Savoy fortress and the oldest part of the city is the Duomo, overlooking the porticoed Via Roma. Instead, the imposing 18th-century structure consisting of the Hospital and the Church of the Holy Trinity, known as the Church of the Battuti Rossi, one of the most striking examples of Piedmontese Baroque in the area.

Food

Fossano is the capital of Piedmontese Fassona raw meat. Panettone and Fossanesi chocolates, Chiacchere di meliga, Brut and Bun pastries are also a must.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911

You'd imagine UAE would be happy for a break to go up the road here.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,675

UAE might, but the sprinters teams won't be

Sprinters have lugged themselves over the weekend's stages just for a chance today

The climb before the end is interesting. Inrng thinks it will do for Milan and Merlier, but the bookies don't. Caleb Ewan is a valuable 10/1, which given his climbing legs he showed yesterday might be worth a punt

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090

150m at 5%?

come on.

• blazing_saddles

Fortunately it looks as if the rain will have cleared by mid stage and it may even be dry and sunny for the finish.

Rain is also in tomorrow’s forecast. I just hope that wet bunch sprint madness doesn’t do more damage to this GC than Pogacar has on the opening weekend.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,164

1.5 km at 5%. Which could see some of the heavier sprinters ejected.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,454

Dunbar is a dns after yesterday's crash.

• kingstongraham

I don't think anybody who would have a problem with that is here. Milan is probably the heaviest, and he should be fine.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,998

Surprised at that, he looked in pain at the time but finished quite well up there in the end.

• Pross

No-one even attempting to get in a break today. That feels unusual, normally an easy start is letting a small group go uncontested.

• blazing_saddles

I wonder if around now the organisers are realising they made a huge mistake in putting so many sprint stages in the race.

Absolutely zero interest in going in the break, due to the presence of so many sprinters.

It could be that the next 3 stages are ridden as a procession…

• Pross

It’s going to be a long one, the sprint teams will love just being able to sit there with no break to control.

• Pross
    edited May 6

It feels like this stage could also be a crash fest. Riders switching off with it being so easy and being bunched up then lots of fresh riders fighting for position later.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,986

The most entertaining part so far was starting up the Disco+ app.

First thing advertised "MILF Manor"

Wait. What?!

Have fun explaining what a MILF is to your inquisitive young ones :)

• blazing_saddles

I think the solution for me is to catch up with Tro Bro as it’s doubtful much will happen in the next couple of hours.

• Pross

A few riders including Calmejane getting excited with a KOM coming up. 4 with a small gap.

• Pross

Really don’t get why Ballerini followed that move but is just sitting on.

• kingstongraham

I remember seeing the trailers for that - the twist is almost as bad as you could imagine.

• kingstongraham

Fair play to anyone watching a full stage of this.

• Pross

Made the mistake of doing my chores yesterday and Saturday and no run scheduled today as I’m recovering from a marathon and have a race tomorrow. Had a nice lie in so can’t even manage a nice snooze like these days are designed for.

Lucky we didn’t have Kirby on comms going through the village at the top of the KOM he’d have been hyperventilating at how narrow the street was!

Race splitting a bit on the descent. Weather could come into play later.

• Pross

Missed opportunity there, front group has eased with some decent gaps starting to develop.

• Pross

Ballerini gets caught then has to endure everyone taking the piss.

• Pross

A large group of mainly sprinters have accidentally found themselves a minute up the road after the intermediate sprint. No-one really working but no-one chasing so the gap is increasing despite the riders not seeming to want to be there.

• Pross

They’re starting to ride now.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,284

Bizarre games out on the road ....big group sliding away after mid stage sprint

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

This has suddenly become interesting. All the top sprinters seem to be there and quite a few team mates. Alpecin are well represented and no-one really chasing behind. Gap is around 1:40 and the group is around 25 riders.

• mididoctors

Disorganised chase

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Polti and Bahrain having to chase. Gap is dropping as I’m not sure the group out front really want to commit in case it does come back together.

• Pross

Movistar also helping and IPT moving up.

• mididoctors

Surprised by the amount of cooperation up front in the break

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,997

"It's basically a grupetto, but at the front of the race instead of behind it"

Lol