Should Luke Rowe swallow his pride and retire?

wakemalcolm
wakemalcolm Posts: 703

Well, yes.

Good pro and road captain. Time's moved on and (head) injuries have caught up with him.

Wish him well for the future, hopefully in reigning in Carlton's wilder excesses.

================================
Cake is just weakness entering the body

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,026

Hopefully he can get to ride a few races before the end of the season.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,183

His been really good in commentary but I think he would also make a good DS so will be interesting to see what he does next. Maybe I should bring back the road race I used to organise. I ran in twice, his brother won the first time and his father the second one so he must feel like it is laking from his palmares.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,466

I guess there'll be a lot less wear and tear on the ECHELONS! klaxon now

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • wakemalcolm

I'm 50/50 on that. Given the medical advice he's received a return to racing could be like those films where the cop's going to work on his last day before retirement, and you know he's going to be heroically chewing lead before the credits roll.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    edited May 3

I must have missed his injury occurrence, did it happen earlier this season?

Big character in the peloton, and will be sorely missed by Ineos I would say, who are not in the utmost form already.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wakemalcolm

Crashed 10k into E3 this year. Hasn't ridden since. The headaches have gone away and says he's back on the bike in training soon.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,831

Luke discusses with G his retirement in latest episode of GTCC/Watts Occurring. Good listen. And yes Pross, it sounds like he's up for promoting local activities.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627

No idea how I missed that although I don't listen to the podcasts regularly at all, so maybe why.

Gutting for him, hope he can shake the current issues and get back to full health, always comes across as such a down to earth and decent humble person.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,422

Seems like he's devastated and/but trying to be positive about it.

It would be great if he goes into commentary.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 239

I think he would have to be an outstanding colour commentator to get more gigs than G and Cav when they retire.

He may well be very good. I suspect he will make an outstanding DS though. He is exceptional at bringing young guys through and mentoring them.

There has been a lot of love for him from teammates and ex-teammates.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,361

His career deserved a Mat Hayman type classics win.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187

Yeah, around 2016-17 he was a genuine contender in those sort of races

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,183

It felt like with a bit of luck he could have taken RVV or PR. Always up there with the big guns.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,466

He never really came back as a contender from the whitewater rafting leg break, did he? Just settled into being an absolutely superb road captain.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 239

He was up there when Hayman won wasn’t he? IIRC he came back to the front group after a mechanical or a crash that day.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,684

Yeah, he put in a monster turn in the crosswinds to split it down to the final 5, giving Stannard the chance to podium