Giro d'Italia 2024, pre race chat, team info, etc.

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977

You should know by now that if the Giro is anything, it is unpredictable.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,986

Granted.

Only problem I see is the only way I really see any unpredictability is if Pog crashes out, and I really hope he doesn't. Don't wish that on anyone.

Really hope I'm wrong, and fingers crossed someone turns up and gives UAE a race. Just have no idea who.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,281
    edited May 1

If pog is flying and gets stage greedy the only option for other teams is mass attack breakaways which may prove problematic to UAE . Better to just nab the crucial stages and let a compromise evolve on the road where non GC threats are allowed to go .live and let live ... especially if he wants the double . He doesn't want a anti UAE combine at the tour . Combine lol ..how 1980s

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,994

Who would be contenders if anything happened to Pog (or put it another way, who is likely to take the other two podium spots)? It looks like a very thin field for recogniseable GC riders. We've got G, Arensman, Bardet, Martinez, O'Connor, Quintana? then it's down to the likes of Dunbar and some younger, fairly untested riders like Uijtdebroeks, Lipowitz and maybe Tiberi. So a few with previous results that are possibly past their best, a few who have been there or thereabouts previously without hitting the podium and some young riders without much GT experience. A good opportunity for a couple of riders to get a GT podium. I was struggling to think of a realistic option to Pog for my Stage 2 PTP pick.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,452

Bardet seems to be the one on form, with climbing ability and lasts 3 weeks. There's 2 TTs in it though.

• Pross

Lipowitz looked good at Romandie but no idea if he could do it over 3 weeks plus he'll presumably have to ride for Martinez (initially at least). Foss could be an outsider too but probably only the third choice rider for Ineos.

The Giro usually attracts a few A- / B+ level riders avoiding the big boys at the Tour but with Pog riding the Giro and Jonas likely to miss the Tour it seems that quite a few see that as potentially the better option.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911

Given the lack of proven GT leaders, I imagine more than a few teams will hedge the bets in regard of leadership. In the case of Lipowitz for instance, he was playing second fiddle to Vlasov in Romandie. It didn’t stop them taking two of the podium steps.

You mentioned Arensman was a candidate, yet surely he is in the same position with G at Ineos?

My guess is that one or two will emerge from the pack, with breakthrough GT rides.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 742

Although you write Uijtdebroeks and Tiberi are untested, it seems to me that several forecasters are judging Uijtdebroeks and Tiberi as most likely podium contenders, ahead of Bardet and O'Connor (and Thomas).

Of the rest, only Caruso (another case of hedging bets) and Martinez seem to get a mention by the forecasters I've read, although I'd say there are others who could contend the podium, notably Lutsenko and Lopez.

I've wondered about stage 2 too, whoever wins the stage could easily keep the jersey till at least the following Saturday. I think team/publicity tactics could play a bigger role than GC intentions – a less-fancied GC team holding the jersey all week?

I've ridden up to the monastery at Oropa (and then there overnighted - it is nowadays a hotel), and the climb is a killer after a long day. I'd done about 180 km including over the old Simplon Pass (swiss side), and couldn't then manage the whole ascent to Oropa on the bike, at times 13%.

By the time the Giro reaches the Oropa ascent, they will have done 150 km, and although without a major pass underway with a speed beyond me, so the ascent could still create differences.

• mididoctors

Who are people picking for stage 1 and why?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Bardet and G will run out of youth is my guess

• mididoctors

Small group sprinty finish with Dumolin thumping the pedals the last time up there

• blazing_saddles
    edited May 2

Looking at mid term weather forecasts, it seems as if 2024s first week will be much like 2023s entire race-wet.

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911

What odds that Pozzo makes the top 10 again in, I think, his 18th Giro?

• blazing_saddles
    edited May 3

I have managed to get to grips with the posting limitations of our new forum. So there will be first week stage threads, albeit somewhat abridged.

If you are looking for a comprehensive race overview with much technical info, I recommend popping into the pro racing section of the cycling news forum. They have everything you need in one thread.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,164

Inrng has a good single page overview of all the stages:

https://inrng.com/2024/05/giro-italia-2024-guide/

• Pross

I went for Vendrame, it feels like he has past results that show he can get over those sorts of lumps and win the sprint. Later in the race I'd have it as a breakaway stage but assume too many teams will be interested in taking pink to allow that here.

• Pross

I think Uijtdebroeks showed enough at the Vuelta to certainly be considered. Tiberi is having a good start to the season but whether he can do it over 3 weeks is yet to be seen (18th in the Vuelta is his best GT result to date). If Pog wasn't there it would be an intriguing race.

• mididoctors

So riders showing form at Romandie and TotA.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405

I got horrendously lost around Oropa once and had to set what I'd expect is the course record for Petit St. Bernard in a Van to get back in time for clients...

It is very pretty though even though it was under refurbishmnet when we were there so we couldnt go in the "church bit"

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver