Fork damage from cable scraping

Hi there

would this be repairable, (probably should have used frame protectors bit late now)

it’s not too deep probably about 4 mm

They are a giant composite carbon fork 700c

if so can you get any filler etc, not bothered if it won’t match exactly

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359

4mm is pretty deep on a fork isn't it?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,790

That is some achievement. It's metal underneath at least. I think it's still basically cosmetic.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,790

The way to avoid it in future is shorten the cable slightly, or tape it further along the bar, so it's not rubbing the form itself.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 174

The wear appears to be on what looks like aluminium tbh. It looks to be cosmetic from the looks of it. I'd just patch it up with a touch up paint pen. Then make sure you either Reroute or alter the way the cable hangs down and or use a protector. My MTB had similar issue and I just shortened the cable and hose by a bit to stop it happening.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Thanks, think I will do that, must of been a design fault from Giant, as I’ve never adjusted the lengths of cable, when I replaced the cables and outlets, I just cut to the same length what I replaced, the pic below is a picture of the same bike as mine but Brand new and you can see the cable against the top of the fork

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 174

It's not a design flaw more of am assembly flaw and a lot of other manufacturers have the same issue. TBH a decent bike mechanic would normally spot it before it happens and remedy it or at least fit some kind of protection to stop it happening.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Yeah you are right, I seems to be a assembly flaw, so I’m taking your advice and shortening the cable and touch up paint, I just tied the cable a bit higher so it was close to the frame so when I do shorten the cable I will use frame protectors, thanks for the advice