Brain recalibration - a cost of living/modern life thread

18910111214»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901

That's a fair point, and kind of ruins my own strategy. 🤬 I've had similar experiences of constructive criticism reviews being rejected, far less bad reviews. Anyone know if Defacto are worthy of anything?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,821

Welsh company and one for country bumpkins see, not money grabbing big city types 😉

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    edited April 3

Seems like a 1% problem…

I personally would not bother fixing or indeed making a claim for a scratch, but then again, I am not on six figures and mybcar is probably worth 3 or 4 grand. I would like to think that those with a 30+ grand car worth fixing should have better things to worry about than 100 quid extra on the insurance… that doesn’t even buy a bottle of Dom Perignon, does it?

left the forum March 2023
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,953

Meh, if they dick around over a scratch, they are also likely to be shit when have a claim you really need them for.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,890

I mean, my car got vandalised, it's not just a scratch.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

they seem to take the sensible approach that a scratch is a scratch and doesn’t need a 20 year warranty to cover the work, which is understandable… if you had to pay it yourself and the difference was 2 or 3 fold… over a scratch, what would you do?

left the forum March 2023
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397

I don't know how the premiums would compare but we have been with NFU for some time and have needed to claim about 3 or 4 times in 30 or so years.

Every time, the process was pretty painless and the service from NFU was great.

Most recently (about 4 years ago) we had an unfortunate incident whereby a stock pot simmering away with bones in it boiled dry and continued to cook (we went out for 20 minutes and came back three hours later having forgotten the pot on the hob!). This filled the entire house with an acrid smoke that stuck to all surfaces. After assessor had been out, the house was thoroughly cleaned at insurers cost which still didn’t get rid of the smell. Consequently the kitchen, utility room, living room, dining room, hall, stairs and landing all had to be stripped and re-decorated and ceilings repainted. We got a quote from a decorating company (highly recommended to me from a friend) who, due to their reputation and service, were far from cheap! NFU approved this without question and, from memory, there was no increase to our subsequent premiums.

I would have no hesitation in recommending NFU (incidentally our bikes are on the same policy and covered for damage/theft even when not in the house).

Wilier Izoard XP
  • I contribute to a scheme run by my old Uni that provides support to students who are struggling with living costs. (It's means tested in some shape or form, not just a charter for bad budgeting!) The aim is to prevent them dropping out before they graduate. I like this as education is very close to my heart, and the recipients aren't just gifted cash - they have to have been bright enough to get to the Uni in the first place and pass exams each year to justify staying there. The regular emails I get assure me that my support is highly valued, though I've not done any "audit". It might just be a well-disguised scheme to pay the Vice Chancellor more!

• Re insurance, my youngest piled into a house on her second outing when learning to drive. Car was nearly written off, and the house owner was a bit of d*ck, to the extent that his son apologised for the distress caused, given that both Dad and daughter were in something of a state! Anyway, though I feared the worse, Direct Line just said "Leave it to us. This is why you have learner insurance." (With an unspoken "not particularly cheap" in there somewhere. All we had to do was pay the excess when we collected the cat three weeks later. They even sent us a cheque for £60 for not fixing it within a week, which was very generous, as the car was in numerous pieces when it arrived at the repairers!

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,890

As opposed to reinsurance.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited April 3

How did the cat get involved..?

(I checked, that cat was fine)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901

"Right lads, we've got the fog lights, now let's see if we can get the radiator." 🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

The last two pairs of overshoes reviewed on Road.cc have been £91 and £100.

I don't mind paying for decent gear but that seems crazy for something that is essentially a consumable that is likely to wrecked after a year or two.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155

I kind of see the point for Spatz. They are expensive but there is nothing really like them on the market, and for some people they are a genuine game changer. I don't think I would pay that myself, but I know plenty that have, and they seem to be holding up well for their usage.

Those £99 Gore ones are an abomination though, on so many levels.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

Car insurance, after shopping around, up 25% on the year

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

Combine that with moving from a place with only sheep for neighbours to a city where there are reprobates and hoodlums around made me go for a black box on the new car.

Interesting...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver