good hub bearings

My front (Roval CLX32) bearings are a bit gritty and you can feel they rotate quite slow (in hand).I want to change them, and... question, to what?

(ceramic bearings for 50-100eur/pcs are out of question  )

• Some ppl say that Enduro bearings are 'just average', (Enduro Abec 5 61802 LLB -13.5eur)
  • so maybe SKF or NTN
  • Have you heard about Cema ceramic bearings? (these are for about 22eur)
  • ISB ?

Can you recommend? any experience?

Have you heard about Cema ceramic bearings?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521

I buy all my bearings from https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOU3jiVHBCaFUnnXL18Mc1B0OCK2x5VcMtQD8aCdHKipf68cryqhE0RoCnLwQAvD_BwE

To my knowledge:

Enduro bearings are fine

Ceramic bearings are not worth the money in any cycling application for a "normal" cyclist (although I do have ceramic bb & hub bearings on my "best" bike)

The rounder the ball, the better the bearing

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,387
    edited January 12

I've had ceramic bearings in various components in the past. They are good but not worth the price increase over standard bearings.

SKF and NTN would be a safe bet, there are other well known Japanese and German manufacturers alongside these such as NSK as well.

To be honest, £10-15 gets you perfectly good bearings. The main issue is keeping them dry and good maintenance.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

it’s a lottery with bearings… some are good quality but too tight inside, once pressed they have too much friction on the balls and wear rapidly… Enduro do that, in my experience. The best ones are the same the manufacturer uses, generally, regardless of whether they are cheap or expensive.

left the forum March 2023
  • NTN are great low friction bearings and arnt too expensive .

• jannickz
    jannickz Posts: 3
    • Enduro seems like a reasonable option considering price and user reviews.
    • SKF and NTN are good choices if they fit your budget, as they have a good reputation for quality bearings.
    • Cema ceramic could be an option if you're willing to spend more for potential benefits like lower friction and longer life, but their reputation is unknown.

• jannickz
    jannickz Posts: 3
    edited April 28

If you're a casual rider or your budget is tight, Enduro and TBS bearings are a solid choice. If you're a serious rider or want the potential for the best performance, SKF or NTN are good options. Cema ceramic might be worth considering if budget isn't a major concern and you're looking for the absolute top end in terms of performance, but be aware of the unknown reputation.

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 419

SKF/NTN are by miles the best option for the price .

I now offer these to customers as an option due to how they roll and longevity .

If you're doing any amount of miles go for them .

Ceramic just arnt worth the extra .

Only ceramic I would recommend is the ceramic speed headset bearings for fully integrated cockpits, only reason being you get a lifetime guarentee and they don't need any work on them