2024 pre-season chat

Starting a new thread for chat about the coming season as we've spent te last page of an Ineos thread discussing whether Pog should ride the Giro (he should, Jonas has his number in the Tour so he may as well shoot for the Giro-Tour double and win the first, probably with a podium in the 2nd)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,307
    edited October 2023
    Not sure if a Pog Giro would improve the spectacle or not as it’s been dire recently.

Not so good for the classics as I doubt he’ll do the cobbled races if he rides the Giro
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,466
    He's not going to be trying for Paris-Roubaix yet anyway, and he's got a Flanders already. A Giro would be a proper broadening of the palmares
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I’m just disappointed as I think he’s one of the most exciting classics riders to watch, especially in the competitive races (ie. Not Tour of Lombardi)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,184
    The Giro / Tour double is really something a rider who has been dominating the Tour tries and even then it doesn't happen (see Froome). Other than that, riding both is pretty much an admission you don't think you can win the Tour.

I'm pretty sure Pog is capable of beating Jonas at the Tour if he goes there on equal terms i.e. not recovering from injury, not carrying a Giro in his legs and with a team of comparable strength so would be disappointed in seeing him try the double as I want the best riders battling it out for the Tour at peak form.
  • Hope he goes Tour, because otherwise both races risk being non-events as far as the GC winner is concerned.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah a sort of Contador/Froome scenario from 10 years ago.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,614
    edited October 2023
    Maybe pog goes to the giro this year. tour year after . Hoping for a dip in jonas's ability . Pog is younger
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pog wants to beat him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    God knows how
  • Jeez, it was bad enough when we had to sit through one of these interminable pre unveiling rambles, but now we have to endure the woman’s as well.

All we want is a quick hello and here’s the 2024 route.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,952
    edited October 2023
    The woman’s tour doesn’t actually race in France until Thursday and the profile is pan flat until Wednesday.
    Last 2 days are in the Alps with a finish in Le Grand Bernand and finally d’Huez, after the Glandon.
  • Men’s race just about to be revealed if anyone is interested
  • A very tough final weekend and a 34km time trial instead of the usual Sunday procession.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,013

A very tough final weekend and a 34km time trial instead of the usual Sunday procession.

It's always fun watching Robbie McEwen's face when people call the last stage a "procession". He gets a little "testy" at that point.

Will be nice to watch all 21 stages for a change :)
    Can't remember the last time I watched the final stage of the Tour. May of dug out the last km a day or so later if there was a sprinter I gave a rats about.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2023
    Egan Bernal has apparently said he hopes to ride for the GC at the Vuelta next year. Which is good news, I think.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    Excellent news, at least he has a target and aim to train towards.

Presumably Ineos must believe there is some chance as well, though I appreciate he does have a lengthy contract.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,483
    Did he sign a 5 year contract in 2019? So has 2 years left?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 472
    edited October 2023
    gsk82 said:

Contracted until the end of 2026 according to PCS
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    edited October 2023
    gsk82 said:

He extended with a new 5 year contract end of 21 / beginning of 22, so a full 3 years remaining.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,483
    daniel_b said:

gsk82 said:

He extended with a new 5 year contract end of 21 / beginning of 22, so a full 3 years remaining.
    Why did they do that? 😯😯

Was it 21 he won the giro?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    It was, yes.
  • mididoctors
    We should have a "rate the season" poll thread
  • rick_chasey

Save it for the dead days in December when we’re all whiling away the office days
  • mididoctors

Save it for the dead days in December when we’re all whiling away the office days
    I don't how people do office work ....
  • rick_chasey

I don't how people do office work ....
    Well, you turn up, sit at your desk and….
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,107
    ...do enough work quickly to allow time on social media.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp
    edited October 2023
  • Are they just trying to find new and interesting ways of pi$$ing Sep Kuss off (presuming he's going)?

I'll be curious to see whether having 2 completely different GC riding styles is a help or a hindrance.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Are they just trying to find new and interesting ways of pi$$ing Sep Kuss off (presuming he's going)?

I'll be curious to see whether having 2 completely different GC riding styles is a help or a hindrance.

.....checks PCS... Looks like Sepp's down for the Vuelta.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp
    Yeah, I think Kuss wants to do the Tour and the Vuelta next year and skip the Giro.