2024 Election thread

Might be easier to put all the political chat into one thread rather than splitting between Tory and Labour, not least as the election seems to be shaping every decision anyway.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    Anyway, I am stumped for who to vote for this election.

Any suggestions; you lot have a fairly good idea of what my political compass looks like.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,857
    There's always a place for a leftie bashing thread regardless of whether an election is coming up.

That said, Brexit is pretty political so are you proposing to close that thread down?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anyway, I am stumped for who to vote for this election.

Any suggestions; you lot have a fairly good idea of what my political compass looks like.

Which constituency?
  • rick_chasey

Which constituency?
    One guess 😜
  • Wasn't sure if it was actual Cambridge
  • This is insane.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

Wasn't sure if it was actual Cambridge

Ya, CB1
  • Labour are winning that, doesn't make much difference what you do, really. If I was in a Labour possible, I'd vote for them despite their seeming lack of ambition. The Lib Dems are a mess at the moment, don't stand for anything obvious.
  • rick_chasey
    Current national poll (at pixel):

Labour: 45%
    Conservative: 26%
    Lib Dem: 12%
    Reform: 6%
    Greens: 6%
    SNP: 3%
    Plaid: 1%
    UKIP: >1%
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    Tactical voting annoys me. You get an MP you don't want and might not get the PM you do want. Probably just me though...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • This is insane.

I assume national lib dems support the national targets, and local Conservatives oppose the local plans.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited September 2023
    The Tories were shocking during Covid, Labour and the Libs, meh.

The Green party, give then a shot see want happens.
  • Actually, the Tories were contemptuous towards the general public.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993

This is insane.

Claiming the other lot want to build new homes (or how it is worded in absolutely every document I see these days ‘much needed new housing’ which is one for the annoyance thread) by objecting to Brownfield development is a bit odd.

I’m also not convinced any politician knows how difficult it is to find a Brownfield site that is economically viable. They’ll be straight in there when they are available.
  • Pross

That’s been my world since 2016. I’m in a Labour safe seat so doesn’t really make much difference. Tempted to spoil my ballot paper.
  • pblakeney said:

Tactical voting annoys me. You get an MP you don't want and might not get the PM you do want. Probably just me though...

Just you. I'm 50. I have yet to have an MP I voted for.

Most commonly I have had an MP I wanted the least, be that Tory or SNP.

This generation of Tories have inflicted more damage on the UK than any political party in living memory. Voting them out is a reasonable political philosophy.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,159
    Number one thing has to be getting the Tories out, so please check your postcode on https://tacticalvote.co.uk/ and vote accordingly.

For me the best possible outcome would be a Labour government alongside a resurgence of the Lib Dems; I think some of the wilder voices that pushed Labour to the left under Corbyn and the Tories to become UKIPlite can be countered with a viable centre party. And this will be a likely outcome of widespread adoption of tactical voting.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    Another thing that is probably just me....
    Assuming it is a Labour leadership then I want a strong tory opposition.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

No. That's not just you. Starmer is just about holding the far left at bay, with the promise of power. If he has it by a landslide, its not clear if he will be able to hold that back. There needs to be balanced politics in this country.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

It’s a tough one, it needs the right wing to be decimated so they can reform as a centrist Party. A strong opposition would imply that not happening.
  • Just vote Labour - look at the mess the Conservatives have made of things. Even if Labour were the far left - which they aren't - they couldn't do any worse.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney said:

Just you. I'm 50. I have yet to have an MP I voted for.

Most commonly I have had an MP I wanted the least, be that Tory or SNP.

This generation of Tories have inflicted more damage on the UK than any political party in living memory. Voting them out is a reasonable political philosophy.

That's mine. No qualms, especially with FPTP. Being idealistic about who you vote for is all too often a recipe for the person/party you least want to win getting in.

I'm starting to drift towards thinking some compromise voting system would be bad, but not as bad as the one we've got... it might have 'worked' in the past, but with the way politics has gone lately, I can't help feeling that something that would help to limit the footballisation of party politics, and make everyone's vote count, might be better.
  • Just vote Labour - look at the mess the Conservatives have made of things. Even if Labour were the far left - which they aren't - they couldn't do any worse.

The same reason I'll probably vote LD in East Devon, if they seem the most likely to oust the Tories, even if nationally they are a mess. It would be even more fun if Labour took East Devon though... I'd expect the six horsemen of the apolcalypse to ride over the hill if they did.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,981

pblakeney said:

No. That's not just you. Starmer is just about holding the far left at bay, with the promise of power. If he has it by a landslide, its not clear if he will be able to hold that back. There needs to be balanced politics in this country.
    Theresa May didn't get a landslide but that didn't help her control the swivel eyed loons within her party!

I'm not convinced a slim majority would be helpful in terms of silencing the nutters within labour.
  • Stevo_666
    The only way to be sure of stopping the Labour party leftie loons from emerging from under their rocks is not to vote Labour in. I did my bit to make Labour unelectable back in 2015 by helping to put Jezza in charge but good things don't always last unless we stay vigilant :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

The only way to be sure of stopping the Labour party leftie loons from emerging from under their rocks is not to vote Labour in. I did my bit to make Labour unelectable back in 2015 by helping to put Jezza in charge but good things don't always last unless we stay vigilant :smile:

I’d take some heart. You’re no longer a party member, and your choice of candidate and favourite subject of ridicule have both been expelled.
  • Stevo_666

Number one thing has to be getting the Tories out, so please check your postcode on https://tacticalvote.co.uk/ and vote accordingly.

For me the best possible outcome would be a Labour government alongside a resurgence of the Lib Dems; I think some of the wilder voices that pushed Labour to the left under Corbyn and the Tories to become UKIPlite can be countered with a viable centre party. And this will be a likely outcome of widespread adoption of tactical voting.

It advised people not to bother round my way :smile:
    https://tacticalvote.co.uk/#Sevenoaks
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I’d take some heart. You’re no longer a party member, and your choice of candidate and favourite subject of ridicule have both been expelled.
    I'm proud to say I played my part.
  • Stevo_666
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm proud to say I played my part.
    The lady is not for turning.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣