What’s the lowest temperatures you’ll ride in?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,486
    MattFalle said:

never known any physiological benefits of doing anything in the cold and wet apart from getting cold, wet, demoralised, hungry and a bitpissedoff, tbh.

It's a bit like hitting your head repeatedly against a wall. It's nice when you stop.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

never known any physiological benefits of doing anything in the cold and wet apart from getting cold, wet, demoralised, hungry and a bitpissedoff, tbh.

It's a bit like hitting your head repeatedly against a wall. It's nice when you stop.
    but there actually isn't a real reason to start unless you are a pro sbout to do monument, and evrn yhrn its prettyshit.

its a bit like getting married: its a good idea at first then you realise what fuckingstupid idea it actually was.

i used to use the old mantra of "one winter mile is two summer miles" until I realised I could do exactly that in my house without trashing all my stuff, getting cold nd wet and not being able to watch tv.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

I suppose if you want to race in the Flanders, training in Majorca will not prepare you mentally... that said, these days most spring classics are raced in very dry and mild conditions...
    being selected to race Flanders should give you enough mental motivation.

riding out in the rain won't do anything extra for your fitness.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,085
    Winter miles summer smiles.

If you’re already time pressed you don’t have the flexibility to wait for dry weather to maintain a level of fitness.
  • MattFalle

Winter miles summer smiles.

If you’re already time pressed you don’t have the flexibility to wait for dry weather to maintain a level of fitness.

which is why they invented the indoor trainer.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    F@ck that. What is the point of cycling if you’re not moving.

A) I have no space for it.

B ) even if I did I wouldn’t want my bike inside

C) they are absolutely awful and I’d ride in a hurricane sooner than ride those.

Awful awful things. What is the point if you’re not moving?

Wash your mouth out
  • F@ck that. What is the point of cycling if you’re not moving.

B ) even if I did I wouldn’t want my bike inside

C) they are absolutely awful and I’d ride in a hurricane sooner than ride those.

Wash your mouth out

I mean, what's the point if you are moving?
  • rick_chasey
    The sensation of moving through the world is what it’s all about.

And you’re not insulated from the world around you by being in a box or being deafened by a motor.

That’s a huge part of cycling.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977

Exercise when it's foul outside while listening to good music.
    "Riding" far flung climbs that you intend to do in real life later so you know if your fitness and gearing is anywhere near good enough.
    My reasons, and that's enough for me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The sensation of moving through the world is what it’s all about.

And you’re not insulated from the world around you by being in a box or being deafened by a motor.

And by keeping fit indoors when it's dark and miserable outdoors, you get to enjoy that more in the summer. You can still go out and ride outdoors as well - I'm commuting to the office as well as going on zwift.

Also, having finally got a direct drive trainer - it really isn't loud.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but that’s why I’d go out in the rain in the hour and a half window I get between family and work.
  • MattFalle
    edited November 2022

B even if I did I wouldn’t want my bike inside

Wash your mouth out

-A) you aren't getting cold, wet, shittingyour bike and clothes up, aggravating injuries, risking falling off

A) The fact you live in a box isn't our fault.

B Just because its a shed doesn't mean it can't be loved snd come inside. Where is it now?

C) No, not really. In fact dome people love them. To us,bits just a tool tovget fitter than if we were riding on wet, dark, leaf, branch, wet diesel, icy roads

D) To keep fit without breaking yourself and fit training time into when it is convenient.

No one thinks you are cool or PRO because you have got mudguards on your bike and ride about in the rain.
  • photonic69
    It was absolutely pee'ing down last night after coming back from my job away. I was stuck in my car in traffic on a short stretch of road through town. I really wished I was on a bike despite the weather. I could have been home much quicker albeit rather wet.

• MattFalle

And by keeping fit indoors when it's dark and miserable outdoors, you get to enjoy that more in the summer. You can still go out and ride outdoors as well - I'm commuting to the office as well as going on zwift.

Also, having finally got a direct drive trainer - it really isn't loud.
    yup. this.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

Exercise when it's foul outside while listening to good music.
    "Riding" far flung climbs that you intend to do in real life later so you know if your fitness and gearing is anywhere near good enough.
    My reasons, and that's enough for me.
    and this
  • MattFalle

yeah, the sensation of not bing sble to see where you are going because its raining too hard, being blown into hedges/gutters/a passing HGV thrn pickingvup s cold/flu so you can't ride for weekd.

"yada yada yada its whats it sll sbout:. totalbullshit
  • It was absolutely pee'ing down last night after coming back from my job away. I was stuck in my car in traffic on a short stretch of road through town. I really wished I was on a bike despite the weather. I could have been home much quicker albeit rather wet.

That's not winter miles for summer smiles though - that's using a bike because it is the best way to get from A to B.

If you are training, then in the dark on wet roads is not the best place.
  • photonic69

It was absolutely pee'ing down last night after coming back from my job away. I was stuck in my car in traffic on a short stretch of road through town. I really wished I was on a bike despite the weather. I could have been home much quicker albeit rather wet.

That's not winter miles for summer smiles though - that's using a bike because it is the best way to get from A to B.

Um... This is in Commuting Chat ;)

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,613
    I don't do 'training', I do commutes and fun rides (which are pretty much all off road, especially in winter).
    I Don't think I've ever found it too cold to do either in sunny Surrey but I won't commute in snow/ice and as I generally only cycle commute once or twice a week, I tend to choose the better weather days.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,450
    edited November 2022

Um... This is in Commuting Chat ;)
    Yes - in the winter I only really ride outside to commute.
  • MattFalle said:

Wash your mouth out

-A) you aren't getting cold, wet, shittingyour bike and clothes up, aggravating injuries, risking falling off

B Just because its a shed doesn't mean it can't be loved snd come inside. Where is it now?

C) No, not really. In fact dome people love them. To us,bits just a tool tovget fitter than if we were riding on wet, dark, leaf, branch, wet diesel, icy roads

D) To keep fit without breaking yourself and fit training time into when it is convenient.

No one thinks you are cool or PRO because you have got mudguards on your bike and ride about in the rain.
    Do you ever read back what you've typed before posting?

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Wash your mouth out

Do you ever read back what you've typed before posting?

nah. ipost a la Kerouak.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

nah. ipost a la Kerouak.

If you might be claiming your frequently incoherent ramblings to resemble a well known writer then surely you’d spell their name correctly? Do you happen to mean Jack Kerouac? Or, just as likely going by your ability to produce comprehensible sentences, did you mean that fictional lollipop sucker, Kojak.
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

nah. ipost a la Kerouak.

If you might be claiming your frequently incoherent ramblings to resemble a well known writer then surely you’d spell their name correctly? Do you happen to mean Jack Kerouac? Or, just as likely going by your ability to produce comprehensible sentences, did you mean that fictional lollipop sucker, Kojak.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣💯💯💯💯💖
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I used to happily go out at -3 or -4 on my MTB. That crisp dryness you get before dawn in winter is wonderful, and then as the sun comes up, pure joy.
    This was when I thought I couldn't crash and hurt myself off road, which I learned the hard way in the summer I very much can. Broken clavicle. We'll see if I can pluck up the courage this winter...
    I have been out on the roads below zero when they are dry, but 25 mm road bike tyres just don't give you any leeway. I had a couple of crashes and that has persuaded me not to go on the roads if I think there might be patches of ice. I spend the time researching winter bikes and tyres...
    I don't do indoor riding either, it just isn't the same.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've ridden down to -6C no issues, as I don't tend to feel the cold (t-shirt and shorts down to 4C) it's not to bad, just some extra layers.
    Sheet ice and snow are rare enough in the West Mids that I just don't ride when the roads are icey (fully gritted route to work even though it's cross country), not worth having 'winter tyres' for no more than 3-4 days a year.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I went for a two hour ride on Saturday... it was about 4 degrees. I kept it very easy, averaging about 2 miles slower than I would normally. I managed to avoid sweating and didn't get cold. Normally, I do sweat and freeze soon after. It was pleasant, despite the temperature, but then again, it was almost sunny and the roads were almost dry
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,995

I went for a two hour ride on Saturday... it was about 4 degrees. I kept it very easy, averaging about 2 miles slower than I would normally. I managed to avoid sweating and didn't get cold. Normally, I do sweat and freeze soon after. It was pleasant, despite the temperature, but then again, it was almost sunny and the roads were almost dry

Lightweight! :D
    121 kms on Saturday at a decent pace (4 hr 10 mins) and one coffee stop. 3-4 degrees, and drying roads. No frosts so all was OK.
    However, this coming Saturday it's due to be -4 overnight on Friday and not get above freezing before late morning. The roads will have to be prefectly dry or I'm Zwifting.
  • I went for a two hour ride on Saturday... it was about 4 degrees. I kept it very easy, averaging about 2 miles slower than I would normally. I managed to avoid sweating and didn't get cold. Normally, I do sweat and freeze soon after. It was pleasant, despite the temperature, but then again, it was almost sunny and the roads were almost dry

Lightweight! :D
    121 kms on Saturday at a decent pace (4 hr 10 mins) and one coffee stop. 3-4 degrees, and drying roads. No frosts so all was OK.
    However, this coming Saturday it's due to be -4 overnight on Friday and not get above freezing before late morning. The roads will have to be prefectly dry or I'm Zwifting.
    If I push, I sweat and I get cold... I used to be better when I had an extra stone of padding, but now I get cold very easily... I seem to have found a steady state at 24 km/h, I would normally do 28 or more in the warmer months
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    Just been out with The Hound

Can't move knee and if flippin' hurts

I'd say whstever temp it isvoutside now tbh.